Tug style narrow boats

Featured Posts

I think that tugs look beautiful but their practicality worries me slightly. I have never set foot on one though so my comments are deeply uninformed.

The two points that I would make are:

1. The foredeck often has quite a camber and is often used for sitting out. How often do owners fall asleep on their chairs and find themleves over the side? A rail around the side might make it safer but IMHO ruin the appearance.

A friend ahs recently built a replica tug, but has ended up putting rails on as a concession to his wife. He has made them removable though so they're only on when someone is sitting out......

You could always make it a semi-trad and sit out there..... :blink:

I recently converted a 40ft wooden top Les Allen traditional to a tug with a 16ft steel cabin. 18ft planked foredeck using roof timbers I think looks nice but it does leak like a sieve and individual planks are a bit tricky to lift up to access the generator, coal storage and general junk in there.

1. The foredeck often has quite a camber and is often used for sitting out. How often do owners fall asleep on their chairs and find themleves over the side? A rail around the side might make it safer but IMHO ruin the appearance.

I've wondered this. I rather like the idea of a trad with a sort-of-tug-style front deck - ie there is an 8' front deck but it's a 1' deep (or so) well deck rather than a completely traditional tug-style covered deck. Best of all worlds, I'd have thought. The few I've seen like this look great...

I've heard the expression 'semi tug' used in fact it was how the boat I live on was described. Although it's only a very short well deck it is raised up quite high and there is a roof hatch above the doors at the front (same as normal stern doors) allowing full headroom entry and exit.

The tug is a thing of beauty, for fun.

I love the look of our "Tug Style" boat fake rivetts and all. You make your choice and pay the money. We have been berated (jokeingley) for our fake rivetts and bow thruster by our friends but would not have it any other way. :)

It suits us and we have great pleasure in pootling around the canals. :blink: My 2p

Mark.

Oh by the way it was built by Mr Hudson, and we would recommend him to anyone.

I love the look of our "Tug Style" boat fake rivetts and all. You make your choice and pay the money. We have been berated (jokeingley) for our fake rivetts and bow thruster by our friends but would not have it any other way. :lol:

It suits us and we have great pleasure in pootling around the canals. :) My 2p

Mark.

:blink:

Edited by magnetman

I keep seeing new boats with artificial rivets with rust emerging from below them, I quite like the look of a few rivets but the rust would worry me a bit.

When they first became fashionable they would be done using washers and a stick welder making a continuous run around them, not quite as attractive but much more durable.

I keep seeing new boats with artificial rivets with rust emerging from below them, I quite like the look of a few rivets but the rust would worry me a bit.

When they first became fashionable they would be done using washers and a stick welder making a continuous run around them, not quite as attractive but much more durable.

Oh those were the days, the original washer josher, how times change. Quality isn't what it used to be.

One thing I do like about imitation rivets is they are all in the RIGHT PLACE. Why do all those old Joshers like Ferret, Kestrel, Otter, Perch, Lupin to name a few have their rivets so ridiculously unsymmetrical, it just isn't right. : unsure :

Edited by magnetman

I love the look of our "Tug Style" boat fake rivetts and all. You make your choice and pay the money. We have been berated (jokeingley) for our fake rivetts and bow thruster by our friends but would not have it any other way. :)

It suits us and we have great pleasure in pootling around the canals. :blink: My 2p

Mark.

I will second that.

Ian

Pleased to say we have ordered a Mel Davis tug shell for next year,dont know how were going to pay for it .:blink:

It`s no good I`ve just got to ask everyone who has one or is getting one . Assuming you aren`t going to make a career out of towage and therefore don`t need a big deck to put various bits of equipment on and a bloody great engine so you can tow a string of loaded boats , and if you need a cabin that is rather more than a tea-shed and a shelter when it rains -what precisely is a "tug" these days ? Is it a boat with false rivets, or portholes, or a deck instead of a well or a combination of all of these?

I`m also trying to get my head round a "tug"deck with railings round. If railings are necessary wouldn`t a well be a better idea?

Mel`s a good boatbuilder incidentally and as straight as they come , and if I had a modern boat I`d be happy to have a bow thruster. The gin-palace Zita and I borrowed on the Caledonian Canal had STERN thrusters too! Very good for bedazzling Germans with I found.

Cheers

Phil

The words 'tug style narrowboat' do interest a lot of people, this thread has had many visitors, more than batteries even...

The word 'tug' for me conjures up an image of a powerful beast of a boat with beauty naturally endowed to it by functionality and its ability to work.

I think it is this emotion of the idea of power and strength and ability which causes the problem.

The kind of boats I now see described as 'tug style', from my perspective, seem to be so far removed from the reality of what a tug was either by excessive decoration (I believe the bcn tugs were plainly painted and businesslike) or excessive bastardisation of design like shallow draught and railed decks.

Everyone has a choice of what they like (I hope) and this subject does seem to form a bit of a two sided fence.

It`s no good I`ve just got to ask everyone who has one or is getting one . Assuming you aren`t going to make a career out of towage and therefore don`t need a big deck to put various bits of equipment on and a bloody great engine so you can tow a string of loaded boats , and if you need a cabin that is rather more than a tea-shed and a shelter when it rains -what precisely is a "tug" these days ? Is it a boat with false rivets, or portholes, or a deck instead of a well or a combination of all of these?

Cheers

Phil

Dunno, mind you, I've got a wonderfully named tar boat exuding gravitas. And if I was going to have a new boat built (tug, or otherwise) I'd go to Jem Bates. To each his own though and, if you do end up with something that captures the essence of the originals then even better.

Edited to say: of course if you do get one then it has to be alf matty yellow!

Edited by carlt

Dunno, mind you, I've got a wonderfully named tar boat exuding gravitas. And if I was going to have a new boat built (tug, or otherwise) I'd go to Jem Bates. To each his own though and, if you do end up with something that captures the essence of the originals then even better.

Carl - you are spot on there!

If we were having a new build with no expense spared - it would have to be a wooden boat - our Kelvin K3 would sound much nicer without all the resonance from the steelwork. Having said that, there isn't a lot that could beat the R W Davis hull that we already have . . .

Edited to say: of course if you do get one then it has to be alf matty yellow!

Much preferable to it exuding tar and ,as you say , each to his own.I don`t really know what stirred me to post what I did - except that my ( sadly now ex ) unconverted Big Woolwich motor had a pleasure boat license because that`s what it was - a pleasure boat . Crux , our converted butty, is a houseboat . I never felt the need to pretend they were otherwise. So it can only be to do with "style" and while I absolutely agree thatit`s a bit pleasing when a modern boat captures the essence of an original one- how many modern "tugs" do you see that do?

There are lots of people who will tell you what splendid boats ,for instance, Hudsons build - but tugs? If it matters , and I`m not actually sure that it does , I just don`t see the likeness.I just worry that sometimes a boat may be unnecessarily compromised to the purchaser`s disadvantage by an having artificially contrived adherence to something that is no more than a fashionable description. Have portholes or windows or a mixture of both.Have a well deck or a raised deck and unless you are a habitual neckerchief and trilby wearer just call it a boat for goodness sake!

Alternatively ignore me - Stourbridge dry dock always makes me grumpy- and that`s no reflection on Martin Brooks at all!

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Speight

Tug style is only a name for a general style of narrowboat, its as good as any to define a style that I would describe as having something about them ie above the ordinary where someone has taken the trouble to make the boat look better and have some similarity to the look of parts of working narrowboats. I dont know where these names came from but how about cruiser for name for a type of narrowboat, how rediculous is that?, or even semi trad come to that. For types other than narrowboats with portholes often as not they could be called "brick style" from my point of view but I dont think it will catch on somehow, not would many agree with me I dare say!

Charles

Tug style is only a name for a general style of narrowboat, its as good as any to define a style that I would describe as having something about them ie above the ordinary where someone has taken the trouble to make the boat look better and have some similarity to the look of parts of working narrowboats. I dont know where these names came from but how about cruiser for name for a type of narrowboat, how rediculous is that?, or even semi trad come to that. For types other than narrowboats with portholes often as not they could be called "brick style" from my point of view but I dont think it will catch on somehow, not would many agree with me I dare say!

Charles

I would agree with you Charles. I would like to think our boat has a slightly different style than some built by other builders and is distinctive for that. Its not neccessay for it to function how a "tug" would have done but I am happy for it to look like it could. Just as Magnetman has just said......"The word 'tug' for me conjures up an image of a powerful beast of a boat with beauty naturally endowed to it by functionality and its ability to work"

But then beauty is in the eye of the beholder and for me thats the style of my boat.

Oh and I also like the term "Washer Josher" very good :blink: not heard that before I shall tell my friends. Hehe.

Mark.

.... or excessive bastardisation of design like shallow draught and railed decks.

And often a puny engine too..... :blink:

...... not would many agree with me I dare say!

Charles

I would.... :)

there isn't a lot that could beat the R W Davis hull that we already have . . .

Simon Waine could build you a replica Northwich Motor rather than the caricature you have......:lol:

And often a puny engine too..... :blink:

Call it a 'brick' style if you like but we like a boat with a bit of character that, when required, can venture a bit further than the calm waters of the canals, an engine to match and room under the 'brick' deck to get a 'King size' double berth . . .

:)

But then beauty is in the eye of the beholder and for me thats the style of my boat.

Mark.

I think this is the most important factor to remember in this whole argument. While I may find a certain boat a little ridiculous someone else absolutely loves it. The word 'Tug' brings up images of iron boats with slow diesels in them where in reality a lot of modern units are aluminium pushers with boxy angled lines and electronically controlled engines running through rotatable drive units driven by hydraulic pump systems.

The 'ultimate' tugs are now too old to work and too impractical to own, like that beautiful Thames tug on B&O, stunning, Gardner 6 in it but she's being replaced with a new tug. £9k is a bargain but it's not the kind of boat you can USE.

The canals still has some wicked 'vibe' and while I personally find a 'replica' kills this vibe a bit that's only me and it's up to individuals to choose how they get their vibes.

edited: Of course to some people a tug was wooden, particularly canal tugs but I suspect most people polled would say they are thought of as being iron... (just don't want to annoy anyone)

Edited by magnetman

Call it a 'brick' style if you like but we like a boat with a bit of character that, when required, can venture a bit further than the calm waters of the canals, an engine to match and room under the 'brick' deck to get a 'King size' double berth . . .

Think I will stick with what I have, brick or no brick!

DSCF2821.jpg

TwoBoats.jpg

Until recently, I would have described the green boat (Daedalus No.2) as tug-style - josher-ish bow (based on ex-FMC Kimberley), reasonably deep-draughted, portholes, flat deck, etc.

However, Batavia (the one in primer) must be more tug-like - deper draughted, riveted tea-shed as a cabin (splendid phrase that), very low in the water (the bow will go down another 10" when ballasting is completed) - but it will be grey, rather than Matty yellow.

As many others have said, beauty is in the eye of the owner......diversity makes life more interesting..

Just one further thought - how long before top-flight builders start making replicas of early Springers - and woud they have the wavy plates and lumpy welds, for true versmilitude?