If gas was not an option.....

LoneEcho

Featured Posts

Ok not quite a hypothetical question, but one that I would like opinions on. I know gas is "the best" option for a lot of people and can not argue with that, but for this thread can we leave gas out of the equation (I have my reasons, but that is another story, which I will not recount).

So my situation. I will probably (who knows but that's the plan) be on 16A shore power for let's say 70% of the time. In the summer plan to be off of the mooring most of the time. Am not into big TV's stereo's or fancy gadgets, but understand that away from the mooring an electric cooker is not a viable option with 3x135 batteries. So what are the other options, electric + spirit cooker/diesel/solid fuel/McDonalds & KFC ?

Are there any viable solutions ?

What would you do if gas was banned from tomorrow ?

Thanks

Laurie

Edited by laurieb

Many and varied things!

I believe there are Diesel cookers, or at least hobs, on the market, and this would be an obvious starting point.

I suspect that any legislation banning gas on boats would also ban the use of spirit stoves, however, I have seriously considered using a camping stove on Ripple's back deck when single handing. However the palaver of getting everything ready at the start of the day has generally found me nipping into the cabin in a lock or bridgehole to put the kettle on or pop a pizza in the oven (I don't do serious cooking just for me)

On Ripple, it would be install a diesel stove, on Juno, which is more akin to caravaning or camping, I'd take a camping stove and cook off the boat, i.e. on the towpath.

We'd also eat out more often, bad news because on holiday we probably eat out 50% of the time anyway!

I don't understand why anyone would impose a gas ban on themselves.

Let's just say that in the same way someone who had witnessed an electrocution may feel uneasy about electrics . I have not ruled gas out, and am not saying it is dangerous when installed correctly.

For the times when shore power was available, a good microwave with grill and convection oven option. For when on boat power, just use the microwave with inverter. For a quick 2 or 3 minute Zap, leave the engine off. For more start engine and charge batteries at same time. Diesel stove / oven? Yes if you can afford them.

Otherwise one of the camping BBQ stoves and use it on the bank, Ours has several attachemtns so you can use it like a BBQ, griddle, fry pan or oven.

Use the oven on your boatmans stove for oven cooking and the top for pans and kettles.

Get a low wattage slow cooker to use when traveling. We have a small 80 watt one that we use on the inverter when the engine is running. Big enough for 2 peps but no more

Or, just place the tin / container of the food on the exhaust manifold and it will heat up whilst on the move. used to do this in the army with some sucess. However, trying to explain why the engine compartment of my lorry was covered in baked beans and sausages was one of the problems when I forgot to pierce the tin first!!!

K

If gas was banned on boats it would make living on my boat very difficult indeed and I'd probably have to install a diesel stove. I'm glad it's just a hypothetical question and I don't understand why anyone would impose a gas ban on themselves.

I think, Mike, that you are inadvertently alluding to the reason it isn't banned. Gas is probably the most dangerous thing we have on boats and on Juno it worries me because the gas locker is next to the Petrol Tank. However, the risk isn't big enough to say "sorry even though your boat has living accommodation you can't cook on it"

Juno uses butane rather than propane BTW

Anyone tried these?

Double spirit hob

I did have a look at the ovens (posted a link on another thread) but as pointed out, the size of oven against cost did not weigh. Not overly worried about running cost v gas or time to heat up, I am in no rush for my beans on toast.

Edited by laurieb

Anyone tried these?

Double spirit hob

I did have a look at the ovens (posted a link on another thread) but as pointed out, the size of oven against cost did not weigh. Not overly worried about running cost v gas or time to heat up, I am in no rush for my beans on toast.

I'd checj where that stands with the BSS, it is still fuel, and it must be stored properly

I'd checj where that stands with the BSS, it is still fuel, and it must be stored properly

They are specifically designed for boats, but maybe not narrowboats/barges. Are the rules different for types of boats ?

Edited to add, good point, yes I would check any option I chose complied.

Edited by laurieb

My narrowboat has been gas-free since 2007.

I use an Origo spirit hob, supplemented in winter by the woodburner. Origos are fine, but it takes them longer to boil a kettle than an equivalent gas hob, and unless you can buy meths in bulk cost a fortune to run. When they run out of meths, you take the burner out and fill it with more meths which lasts me about a week's worth of evening meals.

But then, they are undoubtedly safer. I would still, all things considered, keep my Origo.

Oh yes, and avoid diesel hobs like the plague. They cost a fortune and are rubbish. If you want performance and don't mind the frankly horrifying prices, Taylors paraffin hobs are another option.

A very good friend of the family was killed in a gas explosion and he was a very careful sort. I will not be having gas anywhere near my boat or house anytime soon. Solid fuel is probably the best alternative for flexibility and occasional use in my humble opinion along with the eat out options.

So nobody's ever been killed by a solid fuel stove? I bet more deaths are attributable to carbon monoxide poisoning and fires from stoves than from gas explosions.

Eating in pubs and restaurants isn't really an alternative to cooking for oneself on a daily basis unless you've got money to burn. Occasional meals out are fine, but I can cook better food than the crap most of those places slop out.

Edited by blackrose

My narrowboat has been gas-free since 2007.

I use an Origo spirit hob, supplemented in winter by the woodburner. Origos are fine, but it takes them longer to boil a kettle than an equivalent gas hob, and unless you can buy meths in bulk cost a fortune to run. When they run out of meths, you take the burner out and fill it with more meths which lasts me about a week's worth of evening meals.

But then, they are undoubtedly safer. I would still, all things considered, keep my Origo.

Oh yes, and avoid diesel hobs like the plague. They cost a fortune and are rubbish. If you want performance and don't mind the frankly horrifying prices, Taylors paraffin hobs are another option.

Do you water the meths down, as some people have mentioned ? If not are the fumes bad ?

Laurie

The Origo complies with the BSS (Rob@BSS confirmed in another thread).

I used to have an Origo and, in my opinion, it is the safest means of cooking.

I have a diesel range but am contemplating switching back to an Origo hob and oven.

Why don't I have gas? Because I wouldn't trust a stranger to install long runs of gas pipe, along the length of a boat, then have no means of checking it, myself, and I wouldn't be confident installing it myself, either.

So nobody's ever been killed by a solid fuel stove? I bet more deaths are attributable to carbon monoxide poisoning and fires from stoves than from gas explosions.

Eating in pubs and restaurants isn't really an alternative to cooking for oneself on a daily basis unless you've got money to burn. Occasional meals out are fine, but I can cook better food than the crap most of those places slop out.

As usual its all to easy for the advice that one gives others to be misconstrued as ones own choices. i do nearly all our cooking on an oil fired aga. We are vegetarians and never eat out or have takeaways as val is a coeliac[cant] eat gluten. I therefore have to agree that eating out is quite risky if not invariably dissapointing. We had a pub lunch with Ange and Davel not so lond ago and I opted for the ploughmans thinking it a safe bet. It was no more than a lot of lettice and some stale bread. My advice was based on the op's parameters not what I would neccasarily do. At home the oil fired aga fits the bill exactly but for logistical reasons and ease of use overall its to be a coal fired rayburn on the boat so horses for couses it is nothing set in stone.

Edited by soldthehouse

Maybe Soldthehouse's fears, are the same as mine. I am not going to state that gas is less safe than solid fuel or indeed any other type of fuel. I am sure faulty wiring has also started a few boat fires over the years, it certainly has in homes. So mine may well be an irrational fear, which I accept, but you can not do much about irrational fear even if you do know the facts. I know that flying is statistically the safest form of transport, but it does not stop me clenching the arm rest for the first two minutes of take off.

So yes in my opinion you are right, but gas may not be for me.

Edited by laurieb

Maybe Soldthehouse's fears, are the same as mine. I am not going to state that gas is less safe than solid fuel or indeed any other type of fuel. I am sure faulty wiring has also started a few boat fires over the years, it certainly has in homes. So mine may well be an irrational fear, which I accept, but you can not do much about irrational fear even if you do know the facts. I know that flying is statistically safest form of transport, but it does not stop me clenching the arm rest.

So yes in my opinion you are right, but gas may not be for me.

Its not the flying thats dangerous its hitting the ground that kills you :lol:

Edited by soldthehouse

If I actually wanted to cook, I would not have a Wallas diesel oven or hob.

I am going on a barge in a couple of weeks time, where the owner (after two years and much money spent) ensures me they will actually work!...I doubt that will be for long.

How did seahouses go

Seahouses on Sunday for two days diving, a group of friends went up last weekend and came back with some amazing video of the seals, will post a couple here in the virtual pub when I get back. Now if there is anyway I could smuggle a small seal colony onto my lake I will be mooring at.....if carlsburg did moorings !!!