Sloe Gin time

Guest wanted

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Now, I'm making an educated bet that there are a fair few Gin drinkers who use this forum, I am sure we all have our favourites, mine being Tanqueray. However as my thoughts are mainly consumed by how much sloe gin I can make this year I am on the look out for cheap gin. I'm not going overseas for a while so that option is out. Last year I used asda own brand which weighed in at about £9.00 a litre and made some good sloe gin. I hate all supermarkets so don't have a preference, so does anybody know of some good deals at the moment? I want to make about 2 gallons (for presents of course!)

Cheers

Rob

Hi All,

Now, I'm making an educated bet that there are a fair few Gin drinkers who use this forum, I am sure we all have our favourites, mine being Tanqueray. However as my thoughts are mainly consumed by how much sloe gin I can make this year I am on the look out for cheap gin. I'm not going overseas for a while so that option is out. Last year I used asda own brand which weighed in at about £9.00 a litre and made some good sloe gin. I hate all supermarkets so don't have a preference, so does anybody know of some good deals at the moment? I want to make about 2 gallons (for presents of course!)

Cheers

Rob

I love Plymouth Gin, but that is too expensive for your purpose. I also used Asda gin a couple of years ago to make Sloe Gin, and I was impressed with the result. Another recipe suggested used a mixture of gin and vodka, but the result was not as good as gin alone.

So go with the Asda- you know what the result was like. Why change a winning formula?

K

I love Plymouth Gin, but that is too expensive for your purpose. I also used Asda gin a couple of years ago to make Sloe Gin, and I was impressed with the result. Another recipe suggested used a mixture of gin and vodka, but the result was not as good as gin alone.

So go with the Asda- you know what the result was like. Why change a winning formula?

K

Fair shout, although I have just had a heads up that aldi gin is good and cheaper, day off on tuesday Charlotte is going shoe shopping and i'm going gin shopping. :cheers:

:)

How does one make sloe gin?

This is my method, others will vary....

What ever container I use, normally a gallon demi John, I fill up to about half way with sloes that have been picked after the first frost. Very important to prick them first.(tip: put them in the freezer overnight and the skins split so you don't have to prick them) then I add the sugar, I add enough to cover the sloes about half an inch and just start to creep down the gaps. Then top to the brim with cheap gin (the demi john, not me!) stick a bung in the demi john and give it a good shake. Then shake everyday until the sugar has dissolved. I then give a shake once a week for about 3 months. This is the hardest part, the wait! It gets better the longer you leave it, although about 3 months should be tasty. I remove the sloes after three months as they don't do much then and apparently contain cyanide!!

Filter through a (clean) pair of tights, bottle and enjoy. :cheers:

trawl the recepie section for tasty things to do with used sloes.

Morrisons had an offer on last week, although mostly on slightly more expensive brands. I'm making some sloe gin with their own brand, although might also experiment with others for comparison. It's my first year making it so I'm all for the trial and error in the hope that next year I can go for quality AND quantity :D

The other year we mixed Damsons and sloes to gether with Tesco's Value Gin to amke DamSloe Gin and this was very good!!!

Yes, I tried that one year when we had a damson tree. Most satisfactory. I love Damson jam and Gooseberry jam, but they do not seem to make it to the supermarket shelves very often.

The Army tinned version of Dam Jam was great!

• 4 weeks later...

walking dogs round the marina have found loads of sloes so went to morrisons 3 litres of gin 36 pounds chez loves pickled onions so she keeps the large jars to make more so have liberated some so will do 3 litres of sloe gin and 1.5 litres of damson gin have just bottled 1.5 litres of rasberry vodka so should have enough for xmas pressies and the winter

tom & chez

Guest wanted

walking dogs round the marina have found loads of sloes so went to morrisons 3 litres of gin 36 pounds chez loves pickled onions so she keeps the large jars to make more so have liberated some so will do 3 litres of sloe gin and 1.5 litres of damson gin have just bottled 1.5 litres of rasberry vodka so should have enough for xmas pressies and the winter

tom & chez

Also have rasberry vodka on the go, but it's so nice it wont make xmas! mmmmm

Traditionally the sloe's should be collected for making sloe Gin after the first frost has go to them as this helps the release and intensity of flavour into the Gin. It is said by some that this can be recreated by picking the sloes and putting the in the freezer for a bit but I have never tried this yet.

Hi All,

Cheers

Rob

Now you are management I would have thought Bombay Sapphire was the only way forward :cheers:

Guest wanted

Now you are management I would have thought Bombay Sapphire was the only way forward :cheers:

I'll always have lidl tastes stu! :cheers: and besides I'm a tight git :P

Traditionally the sloe's should be collected for making sloe Gin after the first frost has go to them as this helps the release and intensity of flavour into the Gin. It is said by some that this can be recreated by picking the sloes and putting the in the freezer for a bit but I have never tried this yet.

I leave mine in the freezer for at least a few days. They swell a bit and the skins burst, which means they don't need to be pricked either.

However, I am currently in a Sloe Gin Experiment Year - there were so many sloes near us that I have made loads of small quantities, all to different recipes and methods. E.g. some have been frozen, some haven't. Some contain vanilla and cloves, others just gin and sugar. I've tried different proportions and types of sugar (white and brown) and gin (various supermarket chpea ones!). The nezt test left is to wait till the frost and gather yet more sloes.

After that I hope to strain them at different times and bottle them for different lengths of time. If I can wait!

Alas the results may take a while to be available. Lots of fun though!

Just started picking Sloes, but have got blackberry whisky and blackberry vodka seeping, as well as blackberry wine. I noticed while out cruising that there was lots and lots of sloes, but now Im back at base they seemed to have dissapeared, save some for me.

This is what I do. Often the first frost comes too late for the Sloes. Already some of the Sloes are withering and spoiling, and no sign of a frost.

I leave mine in the freezer for at least a few days. They swell a bit and the skins burst, which means they don't need to be pricked either.

Can I just lay to rest the myth that sloes need to be either pricked (ridiculously time-consuming) or frozen, just to save newcomers to sloe gin making from unnecessary time and effort. This has been perpetuated in recipes for many years, with no basis in fact. As long as the sloes are fully ripe, ie deep blue-black, then the gin has the effect of killing the skin cells and allowing the colour and flavour to percolate through. The sugar concentration also has an osmotic effect in drawing out the juices.

BTW, in reply to another poster:

As my better half does not like Gin, we make Sloe Vodka (and also Damson Vodka).

Fortunately, sloe gin doesn't taste even remotely like gin. If it did, there would be no point in making it.

Mac

Our Raspberry Vodka went down well at the Lancasire Banter, then the kids finished it off when they borrowed the boat when we were on holiday.

Got some Blackberry Vodka on the go and Blackberry and Elderberry Vodka as an experiment.

Have some Sloe Gin already and waiting for first frost to make some more to see if it makes a difference.

This year I have used 2:1 fruit sugar ratio as we found last years a bit sweet.

Also as an experiment I saw mentioned somewhere about Werthers or Toffee vodka.

I Bought some dairy toffees (200g)and added them to 70cl bottle of Vodka (after drinking some to make space for the toffees). After a week to 10 days the toffees had dissolved but the liquor seperated so had to be shaken before serving, but that was a bit too sweet.

So next I tried 100g of Werthers in 70cl. After a week they had dissolved but was a bit sweet. Topped up with more vodka after our first sample and it was yummy.

Nearer to Christmas I'll make some more Werthers Liqueur but with cheap whisky.

Our Raspberry Vodka went down well at the Lancasire Banter, then the kids finished it off when they borrowed the boat when we were on holiday.

Got some Blackberry Vodka on the go and Blackberry and Elderberry Vodka as an experiment.

Have some Sloe Gin already and waiting for first frost to make some more to see if it makes a difference.

This year I have used 2:1 fruit sugar ratio as we found last years a bit sweet.

Also as an experiment I saw mentioned somewhere about Werthers or Toffee vodka.

I Bought some dairy toffees (200g)and added them to 70cl bottle of Vodka (after drinking some to make space for the toffees). After a week to 10 days the toffees had dissolved but the liquor seperated so had to be shaken before serving, but that was a bit too sweet.

So next I tried 100g of Werthers in 70cl. After a week they had dissolved but was a bit sweet. Topped up with more vodka after our first sample and it was yummy.

Nearer to Christmas I'll make some more Werthers Liqueur but with cheap whisky.

Dave you couldnt manage a deep fried mars bar bitter could you. It would save finding the chippy when you come out of the pub

Guest wanted

:cheers:

However, I am currently in a Sloe Gin Experiment Year - there were so many sloes near us that I have made loads of small quantities, all to different recipes and methods. E.g. some have been frozen, some haven't. Some contain vanilla and cloves, others just gin and sugar. I've tried different proportions and types of sugar (white and brown) and gin (various supermarket chpea ones!). The nezt test left is to wait till the frost and gather yet more sloes.

After that I hope to strain them at different times and bottle them for different lengths of time. If I can wait!

Alas the results may take a while to be available. Lots of fun though!

Try adding some sort of Almond flavour, either almond essance or booze like Amaretto, just a nip, but it really brings out the flavour. :cheers: