Just back from the national

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

We've just got home from a day at the national. I had two objectives, as Chairman of the Coal Canal Society I wanted to network with other societies and as the new owner of a trailable boat I hoped to find useful stalls and advice.

The first worked well, met up the groups restoring the Sussex Ouse, the Wey and Arun, the Lancaster, Bit in the Middle (WRG) and a few others, also had another SCCS director doing the same as he's there on his boat. Very useful.

The second bit didn't go so well, the only srand that was any real use was the RYA and a firm that make boat covers, who gave an on-the-spot quote for a new pram canopy, no one selling outboards, no one selling trailers, and certainly no one selling trailable boats (although I don't need one as I've got one). In fairness both those two were excellent.

It appears the shiney's have won, which is a bit sad. You need to go to the British Leisure show for trailable boats...

It was good, however, to renew aquaintances with Turlough Bamber of the Wey and Arun, also indicative of the towpath telegraph. I last spoke to him in 2006, when he was in effect the client for a study on the Wey and Arun, yet he knew I'd got married in 2008... (and was delighted to meet Val

Already posted in the other Beale Park thread, but I thought it was very sparse. Not too many stalls that really interested me, but my 4 and half year old loved it. My Dad was rather taken by the Kingsground boat on display (I thought it was overpriced personally). I got my daughter a couple of Muddy Waters book and her face painted. I hope for the exibitors sake that it is busier tomorrow and Monday.

The "Knights of the Crusades" thing was rather strange.

And I only realised as I left that I hadn't visited the beer tent. doh!

We are here and it is remarkably quiet compared with earlier nationals.

Clearly some traders have failed to make it - which may be due to the poor weather that was expected or due to the general economic recession.

Nevertheless, there is much of interest and there are bargains to be had! We have just bought a new swivelling armchair - it is the same one that we looked at during the Crick Show but wer managed to getr it for half the price that they wanted at Crick. The IWA shop is also well worth a visit and there is plenty of good quality oil and Lister spares available from Marine Engine Services Ltd!

Disappointingly, there are no big chandlers represented and no paint manufacturers or retailers - so hardly any opportunities to buy stuff for painting the boat.

On the plus side, there is plenty to see, plenty of entertainment and excellent food and beer.

We are here and it is remarkably quiet compared with earlier nationals.

Clearly some traders have failed to make it - which may be due to the poor weather that was expected or due to the general economic recession.

Nevertheless, there is much of interest and there are bargains to be had! We have just bought a new swivelling armchair - it is the same one that we looked at during the Crick Show but wer managed to getr it for half the price that they wanted at Crick. The IWA shop is also well worth a visit and there is plenty of good quality oil and Lister spares available from Marine Engine Services Ltd!

Disappointingly, there are no big chandlers represented and no paint manufacturers or retailers - so hardly any opportunities to buy stuff for painting the boat.

On the plus side, there is plenty to see, plenty of entertainment and excellent food and beer.

Alnwick, had we known, we'd have ended up sleeping on your floor I'm sure...

We went to the beer tent, but I was driving which limited intake.

My only purchase (other than three bottles of French cider) was from the IWA stall, a maintenance guide for outboards

The hog roast rolls were good, as was the beer

In fairness, it's an event aimed at non-boaters these days, but I could have done with a Chandlers selling me a lock for our outboard

Seems a common comment, and one what appears year on year.

Ive heard that its hard to get them to come, but i find that strange given how many of them there are at other event, such as kitcar shows, where you can hardly move for them. Excellent small traders, as well as comprehensive contributions from the big names.

Hog roast is always excellent!

Daniel

Ive heard that its hard to get them to come, but i find that strange given how many of them there are at other event, such as kitcar shows, where you can hardly move for them. Excellent small traders, as well as comprehensive contributions from the big names.

Daniel

I think the pricing won't help, and as is often the case, the accountants work from the wrong end of the telescope.

I noticed how many canal societies were there, some not exactly local to Reading (Lancaster) but we (Coal Canal Society) were offered a heavy discount, next year maybe, if I can mobilise a team, but the commercial guys have to pay full whack, and offered "twist or stick", many are choosing to stick.

There was no shortage of big boys, but they were selling top end boats or top end moorings (Sorry to the brokers and marinas there, you were). The Wilderness Owners Club are there but not Wilderness Boats, and ALL the canal society bods I met welcomed us buying a trailable (not least because they could then enthusiastically tell me how we could navigate what little they'd got) but the trade were not there.

Waterways for all? No waterways for walkers, canoeists and shineys was today's experience

Alnwick, had we known, we'd have ended up sleeping on your floor I'm sure...

>snip<

You would have been most welcome - we have just tidied our back cabin!

I think the pricing won't help, and as is often the case, the accountants work from the wrong end of the telescope.

I noticed how many canal societies were there, some not exactly local to Reading (Lancaster) but we (Coal Canal Society) were offered a heavy discount, next year maybe, if I can mobilise a team, but the commercial guys have to pay full whack, and offered "twist or stick", many are choosing to stick.

There was no shortage of big boys, but they were selling top end boats or top end moorings (Sorry to the brokers and marinas there, you were). The Wilderness Owners Club are there but not Wilderness Boats, and ALL the canal society bods I met welcomed us buying a trailable (not least because they could then enthusiastically tell me how we could navigate what little they'd got) but the trade were not there.

Waterways for all? No waterways for walkers, canoeists and shineys was today's experience

I wouldn't want 'The National' to be another Crick show - the two are very different and need to remain so. Nevertheless, the sheer number of boats and boat owners attending means that there must be an opportunity for the chandlers and paint pedlars. The attendance of a few 'big boys' in these fields would enhance the show considerably and it must be in the interests of the IWA and we members to do whatever is necessary to encourage them to attend.

Interesting. I am a waterways business, and I don't do it because it is expensive and doesn't produce a sensible return on the investment. I get far more out of Internet presence in this age. The same is true of Crick.

I would love to see the IWA festival return to being a boat rally that encouraged people to go to little used parts of the system. That was its original ethos. Now it is too commercial. They should hold one up at the Titford Pools, or the top of the Wyrley and Essington at somewhere like Norton Canes. Or the River Weaver. Or a backwater on the Middle Levels. And so on.

Daniel

:D

You have to ask the question that if you were a chandler why would you go ? There will be huge costs involved including transporting goods, staff wages, rent etc and for what ? for instance I wanted a few bits for the boat yesterday so i phoned Iaine at Puffer parts, paid mi money in seconds on card and it will be delivered pronto..........there is simply no incentive to traders anymore to atend such shows.........

You have to ask the question that if you were a chandler why would you go ?

For the follow up trade.

But I agree, they will want fairly large stands, and if you price them out of the land they wont come.

Daniel

You have to ask the question that if you were a chandler why would you go ? There will be huge costs involved including transporting goods, staff wages, rent etc and for what ? for instance I wanted a few bits for the boat yesterday so i phoned Iaine at Puffer parts, paid mi money in seconds on card and it will be delivered pronto..........there is simply no incentive to traders anymore to atend such shows.........

But the 'Le Tonkinois' man is here and thinks it well worth his while.

It must be harder for a 'one man band' but then, perhaps, he has a bit more 'get up and go' than some of the bigger players. I always admire his dedication and enthusiasm for the products he sells - he works really hard and he sells a damn good product too . . .

And now we are heading back to the bar for another beer or three . . .

:cheers:

Count yourselves lucky, I'd say - VERY lucky....

(Oh, how I hate boat painting!......)

We've just got home from a day at the national. I had two objectives, as Chairman of the Coal Canal Society I wanted to network with other societies and as the new owner of a trailable boat I hoped to find useful stalls and advice.

The first worked well, met up the groups restoring the Sussex Ouse, the Wey and Arun, the Lancaster, Bit in the Middle (WRG) and a few others, also had another SCCS director doing the same as he's there on his boat. Very useful.

The second bit didn't go so well, the only srand that was any real use was the RYA and a firm that make boat covers, who gave an on-the-spot quote for a new pram canopy, no one selling outboards, no one selling trailers, and certainly no one selling trailable boats (although I don't need one as I've got one). In fairness both those two were excellent.

It appears the shiney's have won, which is a bit sad. You need to go to the British Leisure show for trailable boats...

It was good, however, to renew aquaintances with Turlough Bamber of the Wey and Arun, also indicative of the towpath telegraph. I last spoke to him in 2006, when he was in effect the client for a study on the Wey and Arun, yet he knew I'd got married in 2008... (and was delighted to meet Val

Missed you again and you could have slept on our lounge floor. I was helping on the BITM stall.

Sue

Why not on the 40ft with a couple of fields? I'm not sure whether you are being supportive or ironic, but the original purpose of the IWA rally was to encourage boaters to go to such places. Up to Yaxley would be brilliant, for example.

Correct. And it was never supposed to be a trade show. It was meant to get the waterways used. Beale Park has never been in danger of being underused.

Why not on the 40ft with a couple of fields? I'm not sure whether you are being supportive or ironic, but the original purpose of the IWA rally was to encourage boaters to go to such places. Up to Yaxley would be brilliant, for example.

Correct. And it was never supposed to be a trade show. It was meant to get the waterways used. Beale Park has never been in danger of being underused.

How do you get 300 boats on the 40ft for a rally? Do you tell them they are not wanted?

Sue

I would love to see the IWA festival return to being a boat rally that encouraged people to go to little used parts of the system. That was its original ethos. Now it is too commercial. They should hold one up at the Titford Pools, or the top of the Wyrley and Essington at somewhere like Norton Canes. Or the River Weaver. Or a backwater on the Middle Levels. And so on.

They did hold the rally at Titford Pools (Twice) In fact the first one was the first national I attended (as a radio reporter for a hospital radio station) I remember well the pools being filled to brim with boats and I interviewed many a canal society at the time. One of which (Coventry Canal Society) I was later to join. Just recently I attended the Chesterfield Canal Festival at Worksop an it very much reminded me of the rallies that CCS used to hold and of the early National Rallies (but on a smaller scale).

I agree that the national should move to underused waters.The fact that the CCS exists at all is due the IWA changing the venue of the 1957 rally at short notice to the Bishop Street Basin in Coventry, which was under threat of closure at the time.

Isnt that what the campaign rally is all about?

The National WAS the campaign rally.

Yeah i appreciate that, but there are now more than annual rally put on by the IWA.

- The National, which is the largest, and which moves around but retains easy accessibility.

- The Campaign rally, which is a smaller rally, for the more boaty, placed on low traffic sites.

- The Trail boat rally, which while ive not being is probably similar to the campaign but landlocked.

Maybe the question is, why is the campaign rally not more popular?

Daniel

It has been some 20 years since we were at the National and judging by yesterdays visit it mightbe another twenty before we return.

The lack of attractions for me, as a boater, was limited. The stands generally were poor, a few exceptions, and there was a prolifferation of "tat". As far as the attendance was concerned well.... was it just me or did at times the "red shirts" and the "blue shirts" outnumber the paying visitors.

Yeah i appreciate that, but there are now more than annual rally put on by the IWA.

- The National, which is the largest, and which moves around but retains easy accessibility.

- The Campaign rally, which is a smaller rally, for the more boaty, placed on low traffic sites.

- The Trail boat rally, which while ive not being is probably similar to the campaign but landlocked.

Maybe the question is, why is the campaign rally not more popular?

Daniel

Stand by for massive generalisation:

Could the answer be that campaign rallys are harder to get to? Sounds facetious but:

In the 70's, a large proportion of the navigable canals were in poor condition and bloody hard work. Lock gates had to be bodged up with sheet ply, pounds were often drained and things like jammed gates and bricks on the cills were stuff you sorted out yourself. A good day was only having to get in the water to saw a shopping rolley off the prop once. There were less of the facilities we now take for granted and towns generally turned their backs on the waterways. Boating was not for the faint hearted and was the hobby of a dedicated few who recognised the need to gather boats together to draw attention to the risk of losing a waterway as well as getting stuck in and restoring them. The rally either side of the long-breached Bridgewater was a good example.

Up until recently things have steadily improved, mostly, and a massively increased number of people have been able to take to the waterways on a system that by and large works, has enough facilities to support modern requirements for easy access shopping, waste disposal, waterside leisure etc and offers a considerable range of cruising miles. I would surmise that at least some of this later generation of boaters don't realise just how close we came to it all disappearing and just take it all for granted.

I occasionally read about on this site about people being worried about touching the lock walls or damaging paint - if you're that sort of boater you're perhaps less likely to want to reverse for miles up a near derelict branch arm just to contribute to a large virtual middle finger raised in the general direction of BW.

That went on a bit longer than I meant - kettle time I think.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by twbm