The new forum software.

Featured Posts

I'm only here now because it's already happened! Aaagh!

Actually I think it will be OK but I don't like the way it does quotes on posts that have come over from the old software.

Here, look, I've got the hang of typing in the quick reply box already!

I'm only here now because it's already happened! Aaagh! Actually I think it will be OK but I don't like the way it does quotes. Here, look, I've got the hang of typing in the quick reply box already!

Where has the list of active topics gone? I used to view all posts Lost stolen or strayed

Sue

I'm only here now because it's already happened! Aaagh! Actually I think it will be OK but I don't like the way it does quotes. Here, look, I've got the hang of typing in the quick reply box already!

No I don't like the "quotes" either.

Edited to say: Though the above looks perfectly okay.

Has it just not converted the "pre-switch" quotes, properly?

Edited by carlt

I just got used to the old one

The "Top" button has disappeared, or at least I can't find it. It's too handy to lose.

Ah, I found it but it is only at the bottom of each page now and not after each post. Better than nothing at all.

wheres the top button can't find it

Actually I think it will be OK but I don't like the way it does quotes.

I agree its clearly a bit of a step change, and if im honest, its weirding me out a little bit at the moment.

However the way that the quotes look is a interim stage, as you can see by the way the quotes look on this thread. The server is currently chunking away rebuilding the post content of all the pre-existing posts so they render correctly as per the above new posts. This will take a few hours and may run into tomorrow.

Where has the list of active topics gone? I used to view all posts Lost stolen or strayed

I think what your looking for is the 'View New Content' link towards the top right of each page.

What is the "top" button. Have I missed out on something?

Its a link that links you back upto the top of the page in question, in the new incarnation, currently, its a small text-only in the far left bottom corner.

Daniel

Edited by DHutch

The poll thread got closed while I was writing my post so I'll post it here instead:

A bit of a shock to log in and find it looks all different, or at least, different from Canal World Forum but the same as a load of other forums out there that use the skins provided by the software supplier. Before we had Canal World forum now we have a forum which is about canals. What I mean by that is the "corporate identity" was that of Canal World, now it is that of IBP. I don't like the new look and that is not just reaction to change, I know other forums that have been using it for a while and I don't like it there either. As close as we could get to the old look the better is my vote.

I agree its clearly a bit of a step change, and if im honest, its weirding me out a little bit at the moment.

- However the way that the quotes look is a interim stage, as you can see by the way the quotes look on this thread.

I think what your looking for is the 'View New Content' link towards the top right of each page.

Daniel

Well done Dan. The new software looks fine to me. Upgraded software usually looks worse until we get used to something unfamiliar - a bit like throwing away a comfortable jacket or old shoes. It takes a few days to appreciate the improvement.

- However the way that the quotes look is a interim stage, as you can see by the way the quotes look on this thread.

Its a link that links you back upto the top of the page in question, in the new incarnation, currently, its a small text-only in the far left bottom corner.

Daniel

Not very obvious (crying emoticon)

Sue

Well done Dan. The new software looks fine to me. Upgraded software usually looks worse until we get used to something unfamiliar - a bit like throwing away a comfortable jacket or old shoes. It takes a few days to appreciate the improvement.

I never throw away a comfortable jacket. I just pretend to give it to the dog, as a blanket.

Eventually Swmbo asks me why I'm wearing the dog's bed, rather than the nice new jacket she bought me.

This may just be me at the moment but when clicking on a subject/forum from 'new content',it goes to the first post every-time and then have to select the relevant page if there is more than one.

Also language selection at bottom of page only English USA available :lol:

Before we had Canal World forum now we have a forum which is about canals. What I mean by that is the "corporate identity" was that of Canal World, now it is that of IBP.

The previous skin was also the default IPB skin, as used on a large number of forums also.

Clearly its a big change and one that effects the 'feel' of the forum more than most, which is why there was a long thread discussing the various options for skins that we could use on the forum following the upgrade, as you say, I expect given time the new look will become as familiar as the old.

Obviously the software is currently brand-new to us, but in time this sorts of issue will im sure be able to be resolved.

Daniel

This may just be me at the moment but when clicking on a subject/forum from 'new content',it goes to the first post every-time and then have to select the relevant page if there is more than one.

Here here.

(And I've just answered my own question.)

Forget that it has sorted itself :lol:

Still like the language changed though, please :lol:

I notice that in a break with tradition, where your boat is named it is given the male gender

Its actaully giving your gender.

Since the last update around four years ago we have been running two gender fields in parallel, a 'custom field' titled 'gender' and also a forum default field for gender, which previously it didnt have (hence the custom added field). I think now is a good time to phase out the duplicate field, but in the mean time, it appears with the other custom added field 'boat name' .

If that makes sense to anyone other than me.

Apparently i now need to grate cheese for the evening meal, but as soon as im done keeping mum happy, i will be back!!

Daniel

there used to be on view new post an option where you could opt to look at new threads ie today, last week etc can we have that back as i lost a thread i wanted to read but it know gone off the bottom of the new thread screen and cant remember what group it was in.