Fradley Junction

Ron

Featured Posts

Who owns the dinghy at Fradley Junction, that for the last 5 years or so has been loosely moored outside the Swan or on the other bank?

I think i hit it first time out ... and felt very guilty about it at the time, but have seen other boats hit it most years and sympathy with the owner diminishes with each inccident.

Could it not at least be tied fore and aft so it does not drift?

It is near impossible to see ifrom the tiller of a narrowboat, as was demonstrated again on our holiday this year by the gent I was yelling and waving at just before he hit it.

If it is still the same dinghy it says a lot for its construction that it has not sunk yet! ... what make is it?

Fradley junction can be fun enough without the need of further entertainment.

Who owns the dinghy at Fradley Junction, that for the last 5 years or so has been loosely moored outside the Swan or on the other bank?

I think i hit it first time out ... and felt very guilty about it at the time, but have seen other boats hit it most years and sympathy with the owner diminishes with each inccident.

Could it not at least be tied fore and aft so it does not drift?

It is near impossible to see ifrom the tiller of a narrowboat, as was demonstrated again on our holiday this year by the gent I was yelling and waving at just before he hit it.

If it is still the same dinghy it says a lot for its construction that it has not sunk yet! ... what make is it?

Fradley junction can be fun enough without the need of further entertainment.

The guys who run the diesel and pump out facility on the non towpath side use it to get back and forward across the canal.

Cheers

Redeye

If it's the one I remember, then indeed, they use it to go back and forth across the canal...they were collecting ice creams last time we came across them.

I don't think they're too bothered about the bumps, as it seems to survive!

On our May cruise, I had to negotiate Fradley Junction, on one of the hottest days of the year with hundreds of gongoozlers and a couple of oncoming boats that couldn't seem to decide where they were going...

Terrified doesn't come close to describing it, but it was a text book turn, followed by a huge sigh of relief that I hadn't made a prat of myself!

Janet

The guys who run the diesel and pump out facility on the non towpath side use it to get back and forward across the canal.

Cheers

Redeye

Then they must be aware of the problem by now.

The "entertainment" will no doubt continue, still, must be a strong little craft!

If it's the one I remember, then indeed, they use it to go back and forth across the canal...they were collecting ice creams last time we came across them.

I don't think they're too bothered about the bumps, as it seems to survive!

On our May cruise, I had to negotiate Fradley Junction, on one of the hottest days of the year with hundreds of gongoozlers and a couple of oncoming boats that couldn't seem to decide where they were going...

Terrified doesn't come close to describing it, but it was a text book turn, followed by a huge sigh of relief that I hadn't made a prat of myself!

Janet

My feelings about Fradley Junction are likewise ... on leaving the locks told the crowd of onlookers that I was especting an applause, but did not get one.

Ron

It does indeed belong to Fradley Marine Services. Swanline owned it before them and treated it in exactly the same way. I like to think of it as one of the cut's little hurdles; akin to a swing bridge, you can't second guess it. I've been passing it for at least 10 years and haven't hit it once :lol:

While sharing a pint with FMS's proprietors, one of whom used to be a venerable member of this forum they quipped about how robust it is considering the beating it gets; since the waterline was welded up it's even more so :lol:

Getting it across the cut with that dinghy paddle they use was more of a challenge than I'd imagined it would be...

Sturdy is the word. Im sure I saw a small vertical pole on it a few years back that they used to grab, kick off from the bank and glide across. It seems to be minus this little Mod this year. If you havn't eaten at the little bistro at the caravan park yet give it a go. We had a great and reasonably priced snack there.

Edit; typo.

Edited by MarkAdrian

quote While sharing a pint with FMS's proprietors, one of whom used to be a venerable member of this forum they quipped about how robust it is considering the beating it gets; since the waterline was welded up it's even more so unquote!

May not necessarily not be the current proprietors!

Edited by Dawnie

Yes, what has happened at Fradley since the aborted takeover by the late Ownerships? I know that several ex-Ownerships boats are still based there (although they were all out when I came through this morning), but are Dave and Jeff Taylor still running it? It still seems to be very much a going concern.

Been there, hit that, got the T shirt.

Tony

Damn ... didn't get the Teeshirt!

Judging from the level of interest I suspect a few others have hit it too.

Dave has worked for Ownerships for a few years now and is currently with others setting up the new company Ownashare (I think that's the name)

Not sure if Jeff is still there but I understand that Ownerships brought Fradley Marine Services and sold shares to members but actually it was brought by Joan Lindeman and not Allen Matthews who had no shares to sell, its all a bit complicated. Must admit, glad I got out when I did!

ETA This is information from other websites and not necessarily fact!

Edited by Dawnie

I went past it a couple of weeks ago bobbing about in the middle of the channel. I wasn't too bothered about giving it a slight nudge but didn't think it would look too pretty if it got pushed and caught between me and one of the moored boats. The owner cheerfully pulled it back in and tied it up when I called over, but then said it was made of steel so I couldn't do it any harm. I beg to differ but if, as others have said, it's been there for years I guess he knows something about it.

Dave has worked for Ownerships for a few years now and is currently with others setting up the new company Ownashare (I think that's the name)

Not sure if Jeff is still there but I understand that Ownerships brought Fradley Marine Services and sold shares to members but actually it was brought by Joan Lindeman and not Allen Matthews who had no shares to sell, its all a bit complicated. Must admit, glad I got out when I did!

ETA This is information from other websites and not necessarily fact!

No it isn't necessarily fact, as I have heard quite a different version from a current owner of an ex-Ownerships boat (which we used to have a share in) based at Fradley! Just wondering if anyone on here had a more authentic version of the current state of affairs.

quote While sharing a pint with FMS's proprietors, one of whom used to be a venerable member of this forum they quipped about how robust it is considering the beating it gets; since the waterline was welded up it's even more so unquote!

It was only 3 weeks ago

It would certainly be helpful if the little boat could be moored a bit further away from the lock, so that there's a full boat length available on the lock mooring by the Swan. When I went through yesterday the egg cup was right in the middle of a 70' gap.

Having said that I've never hit it, probably because I've never really tried to avoid it.

I'd also like to see that mooring on the inside edge of the corner between the lock and the Coventry Canal swing bridge made a temporary lock / bridge mooring rather than a 48 hour one. There always seems to be a shiny great boat sat there with an over-protective owner waiting for the chance to get upset about their paint.

There are a couple of other things to be aware of, too. On the Coventry Canal there is a Willow right opposite the water point which completely obscures the view ahead when heavy with rainwater. If, as was the case on Friday, some idiot has abandoned their boat on the water point, forcing those needing water to brest up, it pretty much blocks the canal. Definitely a good idea to send someone ahead to see what's beyond.

The other interesting feature is the boatyard's brown cocker spaniel who is clearly a dedicated boater and will leap aboard at the least opportunity and sit on the stern gazing at you with an expectant "So, where are we going then?" look. It was visibly disappointed to be ordered off the boat, but did as instructed, which was fortunate. Otherwise I'd have been forced to use the egg cup to ferry the dog back across!

• 1 month later...

Is there a "Collective Noun" for boats that get hit on a regular basis ?

Yes its called "A Hire Boat" and ours has been bumped twice by them in the last month while we were moored in the middle of nowhere...on vistitor moorings.

But i guess twice in a month is pretty reasonable these days..

No it isn't necessarily fact, as I have heard quite a different version from a current owner of an ex-Ownerships boat (which we used to have a share in) based at Fradley! Just wondering if anyone on here had a more authentic version of the current state of affairs.

The current state of affairs regarding FMS remains unchanged from the position outlined by OwnerShips FD Anthony Trueman at a meeting with shared owners who reiterated a previous communication.

With regard to Fradley, whilst Allen Matthews was alive he approached Joan Lindeman to borrow money to buy Fradley. Joan Lindeman asked for my advice and I advised her that it would be more in her interest to purchase this herself as a retirement project. After discussion with Allen, it was decided that she would acquire the lease directly and not through Ownerships. Unbeknown to Joan Lindeman, Allen Matthews had also acquired funds under another one of his schemes, leading people to believe that he intended to be the owner. Joan, believing in Allen Matthews and the Ownerships scheme, believed that having Fradley and Ownerships working together could be mutually beneficial.

It is important to note from the above that OwnerShips did not say that Joan Lindeman had acquired the lease but only that the intention was to do so.

That, I'm afraid, is as far as the facts go except to say that Anthony Trueman resigned his directorship a few weeks back and OwnerShips is still not in receivership.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

• 6 years later...