selling house ,,, want 40 f cruiser new

Featured Posts

snip

"It was sound advice to the OP that if he stops with the silly, affected, way of typing everthing, he will find it more likely that people will help him."

He may have used a mobile or he may frequently use internet on mobile and in such cases people tend to type in text language.

It isn't text language, it's a very 'affected' style (sic), and rude when one expects others to have to decipher it in order to help the OP

You already did.

You have made an assumption that what I said was not intended to assist.

Well, it was!

It was sound advice to the OP that if he stops with the silly, affected, way of typing everthing, he will find it more likely that people will help him.

I defer to your superior knowledge

Regards

Ian

I am well aware that "Tricky one." is not a proper sentence

You see, I don't see any need for anal pedantry about perfect grammar. I do see it as a courtesy to those who you would like to answer the question to type in a reasonably intelligible fashion, using your best effort at the correct spelling (unless the OP seriously doesn't know that there are no words in the English language with that many "z"s in succession)

I don't see any need for any kind of criticism of other peoples use of English - you apparently do.

OP with only 7 posts to their name asks a question and the 1st response they get is from ubiquitous bully boy criticising their English.

Not very welcoming is it?

You didn't attempt to answer the question did you? So why did you bother posting at all? Did a wasp crawl up your bum this morning?

TBH, I couldn't give a toss what you think.

If I was taking the piss out of somebody for making spelling mistakes, then I might think your opinion to be fair comment.

However, when somebody writes in the way that the OP does, it is clear that this isn't down to an inability to spell, it is down to a concious decision to write in a particular way because the OP thinks it is clever to do so.

Well, it isn't. It is rather silly, and WILL cause others to look down on him.

o rly?

You already did.

You have made an assumption that what I said was not intended to assist.

Well, it was!

It was sound advice to the OP that if he stops with the silly, affected, way of typing everthing, he will find it more likely that people will help him.

Couldn't agree more. He'd save himself a lot of trouble too - it can't be easy writing like that.

There is an enormous difference between taking the piss out of someone who genuinely has trouble with spelling and grammar, but is doing their best to make themselves understood, and someone who thinks it's clever or somehow endearing to hit the comma key lots of times.

Funny how criticising people's English usage is considered off limits, while criticising their cruising patterns, mooring techniques, speed, licence paying etc etc etc is fine....

Edited by Chertsey

I have just read all of the above and to be honest it is all rather childish if you do not like the use of English just don't answer. No need to have all this rubbish on what is normally a very good and helpful forum.

So you think the OP wrote the OP like that to look clever and endearing? And that excuses any abuse he gets?

Really?

and/or

They must have had some reason; it was obviously deliberate. Perhaps they just wanted to be annoying.

No, it doesn't excuse *any* abuse. But it is fair grounds for comment.

I have just read all of the above and to be honest it is all rather childish if you do not like the use of English just don't answer. No need to have all this rubbish on what is normally a very good and helpful forum.

More childish than the OP? Really?

So likewise if you don't like continuous cruisers/late payers/speeders... just don't answer? Why is that one thing supposedly beyond criticism?

Edited by Chertsey

More childish than the OP? Really?

So likewise if you don't like continuous cruisers/late payers/speeders... just don't answer? Why is that one thing supposedly beyond criticism?

out of context in my view

Mayall in being an unpleasant snob shocker. :lol:

OP (that's opening poster, or opening post :lol:), if you have to think about the prices, I think you're wasting money by buying new. You'll get much much better value for a small budget buying on older boat. Ours is 1980, 65', newly refitted and ready to live on, for less than the cost of your new 40' shell @ £700/foot. As long as the hull has been looked after and the engine is good, you'll end up with just as good a boat for a fraction of the cost.

Remember that the difference between a 40' shell and a, say, 57' shell is entirely interior space - the bow and stern take up the same length in both. Once you've got the kitchen and bathroom installed the extra 17' doubles your remaining living space. It's the difference between a studio flat and a one-bed flat - a very significant difference.

Even if you're comfortable in small spaces and don't ever envisage having guests or a partner moving in with you, why would you buy a smaller space than you can afford just for the sake of buying new? I can't tell you whether single-handing a larger boat is just as easy as a smaller one because I've never single-handed smaller than 62', but it's easy enough on a larger boat so that shouldn't be a problem.

Perhaps that's just the way they write.

Obviously it's the way they write on here. But do you really think they'd write a job application like that? No, they'd show a bit more respect to their reader. It's not dyslexia, or lack of spelling skills; it takes deliberate effort to write like that. They were clearly doing it for effect, and it's legitimate to comment on it, and for some of us, to deplore it.

Obviously it's the way they write on here. But do you really think they'd write a job application like that? No, they'd show a bit more respect to their reader. It's not dyslexia, or lack of spelling skills; it takes deliberate effort to write like that. They were clearly doing it for effect, and it's legitimate to comment on it, and for some of us, to deplore it.

Maybe an answer to the original question with a constructive comment that more replies would be received if the written word was improved may have kept the whole debate sensible instead of a unnecessary slanging match. Just my opinion and remember opinions are just opinions not right or wrong just an opinion.

Maybe an answer to the original question with a constructive comment that more replies would be received if the written word was improved may have kept the whole debate sensible instead of a unnecessary slanging match. Just my opinion and remember opinions are just opinions not right or wrong just an opinion.

Well I think it was pointed out fairly early on that the general consensus of opinion was that it was foolhardy to sell a house to buy a boat, that that price for a sailaway wasn't particularly cheap, that 40' was too small to live on. All of which the OP could have ascertained by browsing the forum a bit anyway. Things do go off topic, that's just the way a forum works. As for unnecessary, the whole thing's unnecessary; doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

• Greenie 1

Well I think it was pointed out fairly early on that the general consensus of opinion was that it was foolhardy to sell a house to buy a boat, that that price for a sailaway wasn't particularly cheap, that 40' was too small to live on. All of which the OP could have ascertained by browsing the forum a bit anyway. Things do go off topic, that's just the way a forum works. As for unnecessary, the whole thing's unnecessary; doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

read the first reply to the op how would you feel? try to look at it objectively.

read the first reply to the op how would you feel? try to look at it objectively.

I suspect the OP knew full well what reaction they'd get. This is not someone who is dyslexic or hasn't learnt to spell; this is someone messing about for effect. I thought the first reply was spot on, actually. Subsequent ones descended into rudeness, on both sides, but I think we're all big enough to cope.

:lol:

Tricky one.

So many companies are fussy about wanting their clients to be capable of typing in English.

The word is "Please", not "pl" followed by a variable number of "z"s, you don't need multiple commas or question marks all over the place, the "£" goes before the numbers.

yes , sorry about my bad english , i am word blind have been since i was a child and never went to school thanks for every ones help , will go for a good second hand 45 footer ,, :lol: take care have good day

yes , sorry about my bad english , i am word blind have been since i was a child and never went to school thanks for every ones help , will go for a good second hand 45 footer ,, :lol: take care have good day

Good call! But 45' is still very small for a full-time liveaboard, unless you have a really good reason. You can get a decent 70' for £25-30k if you look hard enough. If you want to be able to do the whole network, then 57' (or 61' with some skillz) is the maximum. Single-handling a 60'+ boat isn't much harder than for a smaller boat - they're all light enough to pull into the bank on a centre-line.

I would like to point out that whilst several people have resorted to name calling, I haven't called anybody names.

Yes, I could have answered the question, AND commented on the English. However, I took the view that if the OP gets his questions answered even if he affects a silly style, he will conclude that it is OK to do so.

I choose not to offer any help to people who deliberately post in such a fashion.

yes , sorry about my bad english , i am word blind have been since i was a child

Really?

I've known many people with dyslexia, and never seen it manifest in this way.

One of my former neighbours is dyslexic. He can't make out written words at all but is great with dogs - a natural so to speak.

I would like to point out that whilst several people have resorted to name calling, I haven't called anybody names.

Yes, I could have answered the question, AND commented on the English. However, I took the view that if the OP gets his questions answered even if he affects a silly style, he will conclude that it is OK to do so.

I choose not to offer any help to people who deliberately post in such a fashion.

Really?

I've known many people with dyslexia, and never seen it manifest in this way.

I'm not so sure. A 70 footer at 25 K is going to be an oldish boat. What does he do if he finds out his hull needs overplating? Then we're talking some 6 K added on (minimum). 50 foot is about the norm unless you really do need lots of space. Somehow I make do with a 32 footer but most people think I'm crazy to cut it down so tight. It's really not too bad so long as you don't accumulate a lot of baggage.

Good call! But 45' is still very small for a full-time liveaboard, unless you have a really good reason. You can get a decent 70' for £25-30k if you look hard enough. If you want to be able to do the whole network, then 57' (or 61' with some skillz) is the maximum. Single-handling a 60'+ boat isn't much harder than for a smaller boat - they're all light enough to pull into the bank on a centre-line.

I choose not to offer any help to people who deliberately post in such a fashion.[/quote

if you choose not to offer help that's fine but why on earth start a row over something so silly I think life is far too short for that but that's my opinion and the last I will post on the subject.

Edited by Trix