Kitchen sink waste to 3/4" hose

Tomska

Featured Posts

This is the waste for my Belfast sink. It needs to go down to a 3/4" hose for the whale gulper, but I went into Plumb Centre yesterday and they just looked at me like I was mental. I reckon I might get more ideas here...

2090.jpg

You don't say what the size of the waste pipe is, but you need something like this. It's a 1 1/4" to 3/4" adapter. You can get them from chandlers - this pic was lifted from the Acorn Engineering site.

If it's 1 1/2"

Aquatics Warehouse

Solvent Weld Hose Reducer.

This handy Hose conector will glue into standard 1 1/2 inch solvent weld couplings ( Polypipe etc.) eg tank connectors, elbows and straight connectors and you can then connect flexible pipe up from 1/2 in to 1 1/2 inch

£2.45

Edited to add: use a standard trap and short length of 1 1/2" polypipe with elbow or straight connector for the above to fit into.

Edited by Radio-Ga-Ga

D'oh. Sorry. The thread on the waste is actually 1 3/4". Being a Belfast sink everything is oversized.

If it's 48mm major diameter then it should be a 1 1/2" BSP thread (clicky), which is a standard size for a waste trap.

If so there are solvent weld 40mm stepped hose tails on Ebay that'll go on the other size of the trap, they'll fit a 40mm compression fitting fine.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

If it's 1 1/2"

Aquatics Warehouse

Solvent Weld Hose Reducer.

This handy Hose conector will glue into standard 1 1/2 inch solvent weld couplings ( Polypipe etc.) eg tank connectors, elbows and straight connectors and you can then connect flexible pipe up from 1/2 in to 1 1/2 inch

£2.45

Edited to add: use a standard trap and short length of 1 1/2" polypipe with elbow or straight connector for the above to fit into.

Why would you use a trap (assuming this is on a boat)? I'd have thought as straight a run as possible to the skin fitting would be the way to go, less to clog up.

Why would you use a trap (assuming this is on a boat)? I'd have thought as straight a run as possible to the skin fitting would be the way to go, less to clog up.

Ever felt the cold air that comes through in january?

Ours goes straight to a 1.5" hose and then to 1.5" skin fitting, no trap and sink empties with a vengeance and no clogging.

Stick the plug in.

Edited by nb Innisfree

Not with a pump on the end

Bottom of the sink is below the water level.

you still don't need a trap

For the same reason you have a trap in a house, stops smells coming back up and lets you get back the gold ring you dropped as well as being very easy to get off to remove debris before it gets stuck in a 3/4 hose. A 1 1/2 trap is hardly likely to impede the flow to a 3/4" hose.

The smell comes up in a house because the waste empties into a drain. In this case its going through a pump to fresh air, no source of smell.

Not with a pump on the end

you still don't need a trap

The smell comes up in a house because the waste empties into a drain. In this case its going through a pump to fresh air, no source of smell.

Sorry removed my post after it doubled, but before seeing your post,

A trap is common sense before a pump it will hold any small metal objects that often find their way into sink wastes. The pipe itself may become smelly.

+1 for post #6 this is what I used in conjunction with a u bend thingy. I would definantly get one, becuase I have not got one on the bath and it is sometimes a little drainy smelling. Also for when you drop something small but very useful down the drain... small screws etc :lol: .

Tim

Thanks all. Unfortunately, as already stated, the waste thread is 1 3/4" because it's a Belfast sink and the waste hole is massive. So none of those nifty solutions for a 1 1/2" waste will work. However I've seen some stepped reducers on ebay which might fit in the end of a trap, and I'm sure I can get a trap that will fit the waste, so I'll look into that.

Why have you fitted a sink on the floor?

Heh. She's a Dutch barge, so she sits lower in the water than a narrowboat.

Thanks all. Unfortunately, as already stated, the waste thread is 1 3/4" because it's a Belfast sink and the waste hole is massive. So none of those nifty solutions for a 1 1/2" waste will work. However I've seen some stepped reducers on ebay which might fit in the end of a trap, and I'm sure I can get a trap that will fit the waste, so I'll look into that.

What's the flange diameter on the belfast sink waste?

Might be able to get one with a 1 1/2" BSP thread.

Edit: Would the last one on this page do?: (clicky) (clicky)

Just to double check, what is the diameter in mm across the threads of the sink waste you have?

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

What's the flange diameter on the belfast sink waste?

Might be able to get one with a 1 1/2" BSP thread.

Edit: Would the last one on this page do?: (clicky) (clicky)

Just to double check, what is the diameter in mm across the threads of the sink waste you have?

cheers,

Pete.

Ooh, the basket strainer one? That looks good. I'll have to measure me 'ole and see. Thanks Pete - not for the first time with the good advice.

Big up ya chest, as the yoof dem seh. :lol: