Doug Moor

Mary 1

Featured Posts

How do you find out about the boats treatment, please.

M

:lol:

That could be near impossible, but these boats on bulding were of a high quality so a good staring point for an older boat. If it has been abused and neglected it will have suffered but suffered less than a poor build boat. The only way to find out is to have it checked over.

Quiz the owner about it's ownership, maintenance and overhaul history.

Give it a good close end to end inspection and get the best experienced boater you can find to do so.

-To describe this in detail would fill a few pages.

If you like what you see consider getting a surveyor involved.

A friend of mine wishes to buy a first boat, I must admit I had not heard of this builder. The boat is 1979 45ft. Blacked this spring. what can any of you folk tell me please.

Mary

Forum member Ange has a Doug Moore boat and she seems very happy with hers. RichardH from canalboatescapes (also a forum member) has a Doug Moore boat (Strumble) for hire

They were made at Barnoldswick on the L&L and are generally regarded as very well made boats.

However as to the boat in question - as said it all depends (due to it's age) depends how its been looked after.

Yes it is.

M

The only Doug Moore boats I have seen in the flesh or for sale have been trad sterns - I've never seen a cruiser stern made by him - others with better knowledge than me may be able to advise otherwise.

Edit to add.....

Though Jim Shead does have the following details on the same named boat-

BLUE MOON Built by D.MOORE BTBLDERS LTD - Length 13.72 metres (45 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.01 metres ( ) Metal hull, power of 999. Registered with British Waterways number 67101 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 11-Apr-2010.

So it might be made by Doug Moore after all

Edited by NB No Deadlines

Doug certainly built cruiser style boats. Jack's Maggot and Pipistrelle (currently for sale for in Goole at a whopping 39k) are also from his less sought after cruiser design.

They are not dissimilar to the Piper/Dartline cruisers with curved roof design.

Doug certainly built cruiser style boats. Jack's Maggot and Pipistrelle (currently for sale for in Goole at a whopping 39k) are also from his less sought after cruiser design.

They are not dissimilar to the Piper/Dartline cruisers with curved roof design.

Cheers Richard - I stand corrected..

Rather nice boat indeed....

http://greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/images/...Main%20Page.pdf

I wasn't allowed to have one with a big oily lump in the middle of the kitchen though..... :lol:

Crikey, a 120 gallon holding tank.... :lol:

That should last a few 'sittings'...

• 3 years later...

As much as it pains me, I can't think of a reason to keep Strumble if we don't hire her out - she is too compact for our family and too short for RYA training

So if anyone wants a lovely little Doug Moore which was surveyed earlier this year with a glowing report, pm me.

As much as it pains me, I can't think of a reason to keep Strumble if we don't hire her out - she is too compact for our family and too short for RYA training

So if anyone wants a lovely little Doug Moore which was surveyed earlier this year with a glowing report, pm me.

Get it up in for sale or wanted Richard with some pics. - I'm sure it will sell quickly at the right price, it's a lovely little boat and if I was in the market for a small boat I would snap it up.

ed. - nicked a picture from your web site.

105%20(Small).JPG

Edited by The Dog House

Passed Doug and his wife on their narrow boat only this summer in France. They keep it at the other end of the Nivernais to me and it is always immaculate which says something for the standards and craftsmanship of its owner.

Roger

Rather nice boat indeed....

http://greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/images/...Main%20Page.pdf

I wasn't allowed to have one with a big oily lump in the middle of the kitchen though..... sad.gif

Mmm, that's interesting. Why do I get Error 404 Page not found when others seem OK with it?

Roger

Passed Doug and his wife on their narrow boat only this summer in France. They keep it at the other end of the Nivernais to me and it is always immaculate which says something for the standards and craftsmanship of its owner.

Roger

Mmm, that's interesting. Why do I get Error 404 Page not found when others seem OK with it?

Roger

If you check the dates Roger that post is over three years old so the link will have long since gone.

Get it up in for sale or wanted Richard with some pics. - I'm sure it will sell quickly at the right price, it's a lovely little boat and if I was in the market for a small boat I would snap it up.

ed. - nicked a picture from your web site.

Good point - thanks Martin.

The boat referred to in the original post came up for sale recently through a brokerage. It was a bit of a mess inside and there were a few other issues but I instantly liked the boat and eventually the owner reluctantly accepted a low offer.

When she came out of the water to be surveyed the hull was a nightmare. Steve Hand who did the survey reckoned it was close to sinking owing to a) a redundant skin fitting actually on the waterline having been covered over with a bit of plywood and mastic, and the presence of numerous deep pits below the waterline, one of which actually perforated during the survey process.

The boat could not be refloated and Steve recommended a full replate/overplate. Needless to say I did not proceed.

It transpired that the person who acquired the boat in 2010 - which may or may not have been the person referred to in the OP - did so without a survey. It sounds like they were extremely lucky not to have come to grief.

The point is often made on this forum that when it comes to boats, steel boats especially, maintenance is everything - regardless of how good the reputation of the builder - and so is a pre purchase survey. This is a graphic example.

The boat referred to in the original post came up for sale recently through a brokerage. It was a bit of a mess inside and there were a few other issues but I instantly liked the boat and eventually the owner reluctantly accepted a low offer.

When she came out of the water to be surveyed the hull was a nightmare. Steve Hand who did the survey reckoned it was close to sinking owing to a) a redundant skin fitting actually on the waterline having been covered over with a bit of plywood and mastic, and the presence of numerous deep pits below the waterline, one of which actually perforated during the survey process.

The boat could not be refloated and Steve recommended a full replate/overplate. Needless to say I did not proceed.

It transpired that the person who acquired the boat in 2010 - which may or may not have been the person referred to in the OP - did so without a survey. It sounds like they were extremely lucky not to have come to grief.

The point is often made on this forum that when it comes to boats, steel boats especially, maintenance is everything - regardless of how good the reputation of the builder - and so is a pre purchase survey. This is a graphic example.

I'm told that Doug Moore didn't build to a standard plating thickness, that could be adapted to suit the customer's budget, some of his boats may have been quite lightly built by today's narrowboat standards.

Tim