Washer "Rivets"

mark99

Featured Posts

Yes I read they were welded but how?

Looking at them, there is no fillet weld all around the circumference, in fact, there seems to be a <1mm circumferential gap which is filled with primer/paint?, which, as it's probably hard to pre-prep is a time bomb for rust.

Rgds

Mark

A number you see on badly blacked hulls with rust streaks running from them make me think that these adornments are sometimes just a corrosion source.

There are no fake rivets on Arundel, and it looks heaps better for that.

Yes I read they were welded but how?

Looking at them, there is no fillet weld all around the circumference, in fact, there seems to be a <1mm circumferential gap which is filled with primer/paint?, which, as it's probably hard to pre-prep is a time bomb for rust.

Rgds

Mark

I believe you weld them on through the hole in the middle, fill the hole with weld, then grind them back to a rivet shaped head with an angle grinder

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Just out of interest, how are these washer type adornments attached to the N/B?

Glue?

Yup that's as good as it gets - thank goodness for Evo Stick....

Edited by NB No Deadlines

We used 'real' rivets, but then cheated by drilling a hole pushing them through and welding from the back...

Casp'

Trouble is, unless you're using secondhand rivets, the shape is wrong as they change shape when being closed up.

None of the riveting on Youtube seems to show proper flush rivetting as used by the classier yards, all that I've seen use a shaped 'snap'.

Tim

How about that - catching hot rivets in the gloved hands! Irn Bru?

Derek

I was impressed by that too. In the Tyne yards they would have used bare hands of course :lol:

Richard

I remember seeing a film of hot rivetting on a Glasgow shipyard, where the riviters were about 50 ft up from the furnaces where the rivets were breing heated. The white hot rvets were hurled upwards where they were caught by a man with a pair of tongs who then hurled the rivet up to another man who repeated the action and hurled the now only red hot rivet up to the riveters.

It struck me how skilled this simple operation was, but how did they learn to do it, Did they practice with cold rivets first?

Trouble is, unless you're using secondhand rivets, the shape is wrong as they change shape when being closed up.

None of the riveting on Youtube seems to show proper flush rivetting as used by the classier yards, all that I've seen use a shaped 'snap'.

Tim

This is us repairing Dove, not the best way, but when there's only two of you.

Andrew

Richard wrote: I'm away now! Even better rivetting video on Youtube

How about that - catching hot rivets in the gloved hands! Irn Bru?

Derek

I was impressed by that too. In the Tyne yards they would have used bare hands of course :lol:

Richard

I remember seeing a film of hot rivetting on a Glasgow shipyard, where the riviters were about 50 ft up from the furnaces where the rivets were breing heated. The white hot rvets were hurled upwards where they were caught by a man with a pair of tongs who then hurled the rivet up to another man who repeated the action and hurled the now only red hot rivet up to the riveters.

It struck me how skilled this simple operation was, but how did they learn to do it, Did they practice with cold rivets first?

I recall joining my first ship in dry dock at Wallsend. I used to watch the riveters for ages and only saw one hot rivet dropped.

There was however a nasty accident at that time. The ship was a tanker. A hot rivet would be thrown up from below and caught (usually with an asbestos glove but sometimes with tongs) and quickly inserted into hole. The guy with the pneumatic hammer would then hold it in place with the hammer and another chap, inside, when seeing the hot rivet would then hammer the rivet with another pneumatic hammer. After a couple of seconds the outside guy would join in with the hammering.

Apparently, the rivet would not fit in the hole, so the apprentice stuck his finger in to see why not. Chap inside saw something coming through the hole and hammered it flat.

How did they learn to do it? Darwinian Selection!

In the local pub (I think it was called The Albert) it was always safe to ask a riveter if he wanted another drink. They were stone deaf.

Just out of interest, how are these washer type adornments attached to the N/B?

Weld?

Glue?

Not all builders replicate rivets by tacking washers on with a spot of weld in the middle and then relying on filler or paint - our boat, which is all welded, has many real rivets as well 'replica rivets' - the latter are welded in place round the outside as well as being welded on the inside before being dressed off. I cannot say why this was done this way or even why they were deemed necessary but the boat was built by a well respected builder for his own use.

I suppose we could grind the 'replica rivets' off (if we knew which ones were not real) but we have many other maintenance tasks to carry out before we even consider such a folly!

Mine are plastacine, i repair with blue tac....

so far ive no big issues with them going rusty,, only 2 appear to have a hint of rust, so they appear well sealed to the hull...

time will tell..

Mine are plastacine, i repair with blue tac....

so far ive no big issues with them going rusty,, only 2 appear to have a hint of rust, so they appear well sealed to the hull...

time will tell..

Tupperware boat with rivets? It was only a matter of time ... :lol:

No washer rivets on Cobbett, couldn't see the point and I did believe that they were glued on having watched said action taking place at a boatyard Far Far Away. David assure me that he welds them on, but I still couldn't see the point although it might just be a matter of taste. Dr Watson is having gazillions on his shell. But then it has a real engine not an imitation one!