LPG conversion kits for cookers

narrowboatmick

Featured Posts

I realise I can find conversion kits for free standing cookers but I cant seem to find conversion kits for under worktop ovens and gas hobs on worktops. Does anyone know of any ovens and hobs with conversion kits for them.I do realise I can buy LPG ovens and hobs but they seem really expensive compared to buying a standard hob and oven,thanks , Mick.

Check on the particular model you are buying recently bought gas hob that came with jets for 'town' butane and propane.

The biggest problem you will have will be finding one with FFD (Flame Failure Device) on all burners.

Check on the particular model you are buying recently bought gas hob that came with jets for 'town' butane and propane.

The biggest problem you will have will be finding one with FFD (Flame Failure Device) on all burners.

Will I need ffd for my safety cert?

I realise I can find conversion kits for free standing cookers but I cant seem to find conversion kits for under worktop ovens and gas hobs on worktops. Does anyone know of any ovens and hobs with conversion kits for them.I do realise I can buy LPG ovens and hobs but they seem really expensive compared to buying a standard hob and oven,thanks , Mick.

Inspect the data plate on the appliance and consult the instructions book.

It is a legal requirement to state on the data label the gas type(s) and gas pressure(s) any gas appliance is designed to work with. If there are multiple options the data label will say so, and the instruction book will give instructions on how to carry out conversion from one gas type and pressure to another. The conversion kit (if necessary) will be available from the manufacturer.

If the appliance cannot be converted to run on LPG it will just state natural gas (NG) on the data label. Most gas hobs I've fitted over the years have been convertible to LPG but I don't remember many ovens being so. But then most domestic built in ovens are electric. Beware most domestic hobs are not suitable for boats even if convertible to LPG as they lack flame supervision devices.

LPG appliances for boats are expensive because both the ovens and hobs are different from household kitchen appliances (hobs need flame supervision devices and ovens are physically smaller). This means tiny production runs and little economy of scale.

MTBM

Most (all?) Baumatic gas ovens and hobs come with LPG conversion kits and have FFD on all burners, as do those from a few other manufacturers

However, many domestic gas ovens these days require 230V for fans, etc. - hence on Batavia we have installed a small standby inverter, so that the oven can still be used if (when?) the main inverter fails.

Chris G

Inspect the data plate on the appliance and consult the instructions book.

It is a legal requirement to state on the data label the gas type(s) and gas pressure(s) any gas appliance is designed to work with. If there are multiple options the data label will say so, and the instruction book will give instructions on how to carry out conversion from one gas type and pressure to another. The conversion kit (if necessary) will be available from the manufacturer.

If the appliance cannot be converted to run on LPG it will just state natural gas (NG) on the data label. Most gas hobs I've fitted over the years have been convertible to LPG but I don't remember many ovens being so. But then most domestic built in ovens are electric. Beware most domestic hobs are not suitable for boats even if convertible to LPG as they lack flame supervision devices.

LPG appliances for boats are expensive because both the ovens and hobs are different from household kitchen appliances (hobs need flame supervision devices and ovens are physically smaller). This means tiny production runs and little economy of scale.

MTBM

Thanks mike the boiler man,I just dont want a free standing cooker/oven especially now ive bought the unit to house the oven in.

Most (all?) Baumatic gas ovens and hobs come with LPG conversion kits and have FFD on all burners, as do those from a few other manufacturers

However, many domestic gas ovens these days require 230V for fans, etc. - hence on Batavia we have installed a small standby inverter, so that the oven can still be used if (when?) the main inverter fails.

Chris G

Thanks chris,by the way what does baumatic mean? I am still going to try and find a gas oven that will do the job, there must be one somewhere that does nt cost a afortune.

We wanted a built in oven and ended up with one of these:

Cooker Linky

Not at all cheap when bought new, but we found a second hand one on eBay for just over a hundred quid. We got the matching hob first (new as a christmas pressie) so were just lucky to find the oven. It does need a 230v supply for the fan...

These people...

http://www.baumatic.co.uk/

Chris G

Thanks Chris ,they should do the job providing the price is right, there did nt seem to be any prices on the site, but I will check out the stores that stock that product.

We wanted a built in oven and ended up with one of these:

Cooker Linky

Not at all cheap when bought new, but we found a second hand one on eBay for just over a hundred quid. We got the matching hob first (new as a christmas pressie) so were just lucky to find the oven. It does need a 230v supply for the fan...

They do look good , like you say not cheap, and if I did get one with a fan shurely I could not connect the fan and it would cook like an 'old fashioned gas cooker..

Thanks Chris ,they should do the job providing the price is right, there did nt seem to be any prices on the site, but I will check out the stores that stock that product.

They do look good , like you say not cheap, and if I did get one with a fan shurely I could not connect the fan and it would cook like an 'old fashioned gas cooker..

Never thought of ebay, think i'll take a look.

Never thought of ebay, think i'll take a look.

I just found a great supplier with with fsd and lpg jets with all its gas cookers and hobs and it in the town im moored in, its called premierange and I found it on ebay, thanks for all your help and support, what a great site this is.

I think the thing to be aware of if you get one that needs a fan and don't bother connecting it, is that you may cook its innards. It may not be the case for all fan assisted gas ovens, but the fan on ours runs for a good few minutes after turning the heat off. I'd wonder what was melting if that fan wasn't there!

I think the thing to be aware of if you get one that needs a fan and don't bother connecting it, is that you may cook its innards. It may not be the case for all fan assisted gas ovens, but the fan on ours runs for a good few minutes after turning the heat off. I'd wonder what was melting if that fan wasn't there!

Aye, Creamcheese is, as usual, right... :lol:

Our properly-fan-assisted gas oven, is one of the growing trend towards fan+gas ovens.

It needs the fan for internal circulation of the cooking cavity as well as keeping the controls cool. It does, however, run from our small MSW inverter without any problems.

We had to order the LPG jets/injectors for the oven due to its second-hand nature. The matching hob came with the injectors as part of the package. If you do the latter, don't forget (like I did) that two of the four injectors are a different size... *D'oh*.

PC

It is not really a problem since the regulations governing gas cookers for flats and other multi occupancy dwellings have the same requirements as a gas cooker on a boat for FFD/FSD. For instance if you go on the comet website you can search for gas cookers with FFDs fitted there will be many models that come up.