Flowers/plants/logs/junk on cabin roof

PhilR

Featured Posts

OK, this is probably a bit tongue in cheek, but what do you think about having a garden or assorted stuff (junk?) on your cabin roof?

especially when boating single-handed.

Some people seem to travel extensively with a floating garden on the roof, but I suspect there aren't any single-handers who do.

I have enough problems with boat hooks, poles and planks getting snagged by ropes without having to worry about plants and other unecessary adornments.

What do others think?

Phil

Edited by PhilR

OK, this is probably a bit tongue in cheek, but what do you think about having a garden or assorted stuff (junk?) on your cabin roof?

Some people seem to travel extensively with a floating garden on the roof, but I suspect there aren't any single-handers who do.

I have enough problems with boat hooks, poles and planks getting snagged by ropes without having to worry about plants and other unecessary adornments.

What do others think?

Phil

Jan has told me that anything on our roof has to be stowed in nice neat top boxes... :lol:

but yes I can see how such stuff could get in the way - single or double handing in fact..

Jan has told me that anything on our roof has to be stowed in nice neat top boxes... :lol:

but yes I can see how such stuff could get in the way - single or double handing in fact..

Actually it is my wife who suggests having flowers/plants on the roof. But it would be me who would have to cope with them; water them; dead-head them and untangle ropes from them ....................not to mention re-painting the damaged roof ......................... I reckon they are even worse than Rosie and Jim dolls in the window!!

I am with Richard, it is the one rule that I have laid down and I am unanimous in this, that the roof stays clear of everything except poles and plank.

Edited by bottle

Some people do love their plants too! I met a boater filling her watercan from the BW tap. Canal water wasn't good enough for them!!

You do see some stunning flower displays though, and some extensive roof top vegetable plots.

I'm definitely in the clear roof brigade as low bridges (Slaithwaite) and tight tunnels (Standedge and Froghall) are on the intinerary! For Slaithwaite bridge I had to take down my Maxview aerial, which is only about a foot high, to get under it.

What about this lot spotted recently on the Thames?

dscn1077l.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Have to say I really like the idea..............of painted road lamps etc. Although that may be a bit excessive. Are they on display for sale ?

I just happened to find a dozen or so the other week, in very good condition.

Some people do love their plants too! I met a boater filling her watercan from the BW tap. Canal water wasn't good enough for them!!

You do see some stunning flower displays though, and some extensive roof top vegetable plots.

I'm definitely in the clear roof brigade as low bridges (Slaithwaite) and tight tunnels (Standedge and Froghall) are on the intinerary! For Slaithwaite bridge I had to take down my Maxview aerial, which is only about a foot high, to get under it.

Froghall is very low - I lost my aerial mount there!

As a single hander, I have a roof full of "stuff" including a vegetable garden, wood for the fire, saw bench, etc. One day I'll have boxes and it will look better, but also solar panels, tv arial and I won't give up on the veg - in fact it will no doubt expand. I'm used to skipping around it all when locking and it dosen't bother me.

(and I got through the low bridges and tunnel on the Huddersfield. Took a bit of rearranging though.)

Edited by Dr Bradley

Yes it's my wife who insists on some plants on the roof. I drew the line at two pots. When I am single handing I have to remember to water them, something I usually do just before she joins me and hope they revive.

I don't like things on the roof apart from what I might need like poles, hooks, planks and ropes. On a recent journey I did have my folding dinghy there though.

P1000721.jpg

What do others think?

Phil

Are you spying on me? That's an exact list of what's on the roof of my boat right now. And a mop and a brush. No pole or gangplank though, someone pinched them.

Oh and the flowers are actually rocket salad and broccoli that I didn't do a very good job of farming.

I'm a single hander, too.

Not a particularly recent picture (self evident by the snow!) but an idea of what Iona's roof looks like. That was after we'd used up all the wood! Our roof is our garden shed.

18765_1323983581664_1293093084_30945239_4434947_n.jpg

And before anyone asks the wheel supports that pole that supports the TV aerial when we're in a bad signal area :lol:

I'm with the liveaboards with the shed on the roof. I normally keep the garden and the roof junk forward of the centre line and can single hand no problem like that. The new roof boxes (when I've found someone to make me covers) will hopefully keep things neater from this year though. Only time everything had to come indoors was last year for Standedge tunnel

liveaboard and single hander most of the time......rear of the centreline, clear except for solar panel which sits on a swivel mount and flat when cruising.

As others, forward is flower and herb pots, plank,poles tv ariel, logs,sawbench etc., oh, and on a sunny day sometimes me and the daughter having breakfast on the roof. :lol:

Edited by matty40s

I personally like to leave my roof clear mainly because I actually like not having to look after plants etc I do see some boats where the selection of pot plants looks very nice but I do think a boat with nothing on the roof except essential equipment looks far nicer. Also as other people have said I am single handed and prefer to have a completely clear roof for ease of going through locks etc.

I don't mind the Babylon boats except when their steerers hog the channel to avoid the offside vegetation clearing the roof. Regards, HughC.

I've never noticed police boats with cluttered cabin roofs...or mesopotamian boats, for that matter:

magan_m1119643.jpg

Is "I'm hogging the channel because I'm avoiding the trees" any less valid than "I'm hogging the channel because I'm avoiding the canal bed"

Clear roof for me!

Any flowers I want are on the bank-sides, my vegetables are in the supermarket

I'm not overly keen on the two solar panels on the roof, but deem them as 'needs must'

Oh....... and live a board too.

And........ I'm hogging the channel cos I don't float at the sides :lol:

Edited by Proper Job

As a single hander, I have a roof full of "stuff" including a vegetable garden, wood for the fire, saw bench, etc. One day I'll have boxes and it will look better, but also solar panels, tv arial and I won't give up on the veg - in fact it will no doubt expand. I'm used to skipping around it all when locking and it dosen't bother me.

(and I got through the low bridges and tunnel on the Huddersfield. Took a bit of rearranging though.)

Sounds like my roof