Narrow Boat Trust - where are you?

Roger t' Bodger

Featured Posts

I got a phone call from them middle of yesterday, (Friday), asking if I wanted to go lock wheeling for them.

At that time they claimed to be at "Barkhampstead Station", by which I was sure they meant Berkhamsted, as that's where I live, so otherwise why would they be asking me.

I couldn't help - it would have been better if they had called me before getting there, not after!

I'm not aware of there being any place of close to that name on the Oxford, so I think you probably have them getting to the Thames by the wrong canal ?

It's unlikely they are very near the Thames yet if they were at Berkhamsted, GU, only yesterday lunchtime - they don't usually travel particularly fast.

EDIT:

In view of the post that has just arrived, I can only assume then it was not the NBT boats I was being contacted about.

I assumed it was, as the chap had taken my details in that connection.

I can only assume it was Arundel/Joe returning from their gravel traffic.

Looks like I jumped to a wrong conclusio

Edited by alan_fincher

The heavily loaded pair, Nuneaton and Brighton are making their way south to the Thames this last week via the Oxford on their summer coalrun. - Has anyone seen them? I only ask as the weather has been a bit rough and the water levels low.
lower

They passed through Lower Heyford this afternoon going South. They've got further than Dashwood lock - 'cos that's where I am at the moment.

--

Dave

Dave was hoping to be at Thrupp tonight, I'll let you know when he updates me.

With all these loaded boats flying about recently it's easy to get confused.

Edited by twbm

I got a phone call from them middle of yesterday, (Friday), asking if I wanted to go lock wheeling for them.

At that time they claimed to be at "Barkhampstead Station", by which I was sure they meant Berkhamsted, as that's where I live, so otherwise why would they be asking me.

being contacted about.

I know their boating skills get questioned alot but that is going some! :lol::lol:

NBT 'shoot themselves in the foot' again by, erm, not having made a phone call?

Alan: The boats will be going from Brentford to Linslade between the 8th and 14th August, possibly in need of a hand if you're about.

TW

Edited by twbm

NBT 'shoot themselves in the foot' again by, erm, not having made a phone call?

Alan: The boats will be going from Brentford to Linslade between the 8th and 14th August, possibly in need of a hand if you're about.

TW

TW,

The reason I assumed what I did the phone call I got, (from a guy called "John", but don't know his surname), was because he took a phone number from me when passing through previously.

As he said he would contact me if Nuneaton & Brighton were passing this way in future, to see if I wanted to turn out to help through the locks, I think it's not unreasonable to assume the call was in connection with NBT boats, not the privately owned ones he was with at the time I met him, (i.e. Arundel and Joe).

Either way, if John sees this, a call before they are already passing my home town is more likely to see me able to help in future.

On this occasion I could not have done, as I was at a hospital appointment at the time he first rang.

No own goals by NBT, but I think you can understand why I jumped to a wrong conclusion they passed through here yesterday.

Edited by alan_fincher

The heavily loaded pair, Nuneaton and Brighton are making their way south to the Thames this last week via the Oxford on their summer coalrun. - Has anyone seen them? I only ask as the weather has been a bit rough and the water levels low.

:lol:

At this very moment they are passing under the lift bridge at Thrupp having been on the water point. They dont seem too bad at handling the boats at all I know nothing of these crew are they REAL boaters or do they live in houses ?

I only ask because they are wearing flat caps and stuff that are not generaly worn now by 24/7/365 boaters as they are totaly useless in inclement weather.

I know their boating skills get questioned alot but that is going some! :lol::lol:

Since I'm sitting in a cellar with the last words heard 'we're going down the Oxford' I assumed that was the route they were taking.

But the skipper decided to use his noddle and take a better watered route to Brentford.

At this very moment they are passing under the lift bridge at Thrupp having been on the water point. They dont seem too bad at handling the boats at all I know nothing of these crew are they REAL boaters or do they live in houses ?

I only ask because they are wearing flat caps and stuff that are not generaly worn now by 24/7/365 boaters as they are totaly useless in inclement weather.

While the skipper is loaded with relevant qualifications (or the boats go nowhere!) Many of the crew are qualified and experience as he is and do it to keep the Trust going along with the skills needed to handle loaded boats or learning those skills in a real working situation. I can't answer for the choice of dress but that might be a learning curve too after the month of drought!!! :lol:

While the skipper is loaded with relevant qualifications (or the boats go nowhere!) Many of the crew are qualified and experience as he is and do it to keep the Trust going along with the skills needed to handle loaded boats or learning those skills in a real working situation. I can't answer for the choice of dress but that might be a learning curve too after the month of drought!!! :lol:

Hi

Just a quick update. said pair of boats have moored just thro lift bridge breasted up and blocked the canal. A nice family on a hire boat cannot get thro now as there is no room due to shallow water I POLITELY mentioned this to a member of the crew of the pair who told me they were staying there as the mooring warden said they could well ( Mike ) said warden probably didnt realise they were blocking the cut cos he is a nice chap and was helping said boaters, but I was told they were stopping basicaly it was tough for anyone else. Now that is about as CRAP as boating gets I am allright jack sod you is not what real boaters do so I have answered my own first question NO they are not real boaters just a set of wallies.

TW,

The reason I assumed what I did the phone call I got, (from a guy called "John", but don't know his surname), was because he took a phone number from me when passing through previously.

As he said he would contact me if Nuneaton & Brighton were passing this way in future, to see if I wanted to turn out to help through the locks, I think it's not unreasonable to assume the call was in connection with NBT boats, not the privately owned ones he was with at the time I met him, (i.e. Arundel and Joe).

Either way, if John sees this, a call before they are already passing my home town is more likely to see me able to help in future.

On this occasion I could not have done, as I was at a hospital appointment at the time he first rang.

No own goals by NBT, but I think you can understand why I jumped to a wrong conclusion they passed through here yesterday.

Alan - Wasn't meant as a pop at you. I was hoping to pre-empt the NBT-knockers on this site in a wry humorous sort of way - evidently not very well! The 'shot in the foot' reference was from when we truly did shoot ourselves in the foot by not being at Alvecote when we said we would be. The possibility of needing a hand in August is genuine: there's two of them but another pair of hands would be much appreciated. The person I suspect you spoke to will be one of the crew.

Hi

Just a quick update. said pair of boats have moored just thro lift bridge breasted up and blocked the canal. A nice family on a hire boat cannot get thro now as there is no room due to shallow water I POLITELY mentioned this to a member of the crew of the pair who told me they were staying there as the mooring warden said they could well ( Mike ) said warden probably didnt realise they were blocking the cut cos he is a nice chap and was helping said boaters, but I was told they were stopping basicaly it was tough for anyone else. Now that is about as CRAP as boating gets I am allright jack sod you is not what real boaters do so I have answered my own first question NO they are not real boaters just a set of wallies.

Hey-Ho. I'll make a call and see what the other side of the story is.

Regards,

One of the Wallies, not a real boater apparently.

What is a real boater please?

Alan - Wasn't meant as a pop at you. I was hoping to pre-empt the NBT-knockers on this site in a wry humorous sort of way - evidently not very well! The 'shot in the foot' reference was from when we truly did shoot ourselves in the foot by not being at Alvecote when we said we would be. The possibility of needing a hand in August is genuine: there's two of them but another pair of hands would be much appreciated. The person I suspect you spoke to will be one of the crew.

Hey-Ho. I'll make a call and see what the other side of the story is.

Regards,

One of the Wallies, not a real boater apparently.

What is a real boater please?

A real boater is someone who DOESNT block the cut when he KNOWS and has had it explained to him that no other boat can get past if he remains where he is. Phone him if you want amd ask him Are you blocking boaters passage and see if he says Yes or just lies...................

Hopefully they are headed for the K&A as they are booked in to the Newbury Festival and should be at Newbury on Friday 23/7/10, worst case Saturday. If you see them please point them in the right direction.

cheers

Ken

And now the other side of the story:

At the end of a long day the pair struggled around the bend in a depth of water barely sufficient to let them move. They asked the mooring warden where to moor and went where they were directed. Yes, available canal width is restricted but there is sufficient water for modern shallow draft boats to get by. Oddly none of the crew have seen a 'nice family on a hire boat' since they arrived, so they are rather nonplussed at the suggestion they are blocking the canal. If I could have the name of the hire company I would be happy to see if I can get a message of apology to the family concerned, although I am assured they would have been accomodated if they had approached the crew. What the crew do recall is being addressed somewhat aggressively by a gentleman who told them they couldn't moor where they had been directed to by the warden, and that they were blocking the canal. Our crew suggested that, although in their opinion there would be room for a hire boat to pass, it was unlikely that anyone would be passing at this time of night and they would be gone early in the morning. I understand the parting shot was 'I live on a boat, I know what it's all about, you're just playing at it'.

There are vacancies for anyone wanting to 'play' at pulling a loaded butty through locks, working a loaded pair around the contours of the Oxford summit, unloading coal etc. etc. etc. for anyone who wishes to join in the fun and frolics, although apparently 'real' boaters just stay tied up in one place most of the time ......

Edited by twbm

And now the other side of the story:

At the end of a long day the pair struggled around the bend in a depth of water barely sufficient to let them move. They asked the mooring warden where to moor and went where they were directed. Yes, available canal width is restricted but there is sufficient water for modern shallow draft boats to get by. Oddly none of the crew have seen a 'nice family on a hire boat' since they arrived, so they are rather nonplussed at the suggestion they are blocking the canal. If I could have the name of the hire company I would be happy to see if I can get a message of apology to the family concerned, although I am assured they would have been accomodated if they had approached the crew. What the crew do recall is being addressed somewhat aggressively by a gentleman who told them they couldn't moor where they had been directed to by the warden, and that they were blocking the canal. Our crew suggested that, although in their opinion there would be room for a hire boat to pass, it was unlikely that anyone would be passing at this time of night and they would be gone early in the morning. I understand the parting shot was 'I live on a boat, I know what it's all about, you're just playing at it'.

There are vacancies for anyone wanting to 'play' at pulling a loaded butty through locks, working a loaded pair around the contours of the Oxford summit, unloading coal etc. etc. etc. for anyone who wishes to join in the fun and frolics, although apparently 'real' boaters just stay tied up in one place most of the time ......

Hi I should realy reply to you via pm but I cant be arsed. The nice family where immediately behind said pair but did not attempt to go thro bridge as it was blocked it is a boat from Oxfordshire narrowboats of Lower Heyford I found them a mooring so they could go to the pub and they where very appreciative. The position of the boats is completely blocking the canal even a very shallow draughted boat has no way of passing if the wally had listened to local knowledge he would have known that ( I did try to explain ) but I dont suffer fools gladly and had to leave the scene rather than explain more fully to the guy who had no intention of listening. Also we have several local boats such as PJ on Ocelot with a three foot draught and should he have wanted to come thro to the water point he could not have done so. Only a pratt moors where he is blocking the canal shiny boat, old boat any boat its no matter. And as for real boaters I have spent more time on one wave ( Thats a thing out at sea ) than these guys have spent boating. :lol:

...................although apparently 'real' boaters just stay tied up in one place most of the time ......

Ah!

But "proper boaters" apparently do have a proper boat, from a proper builder, with a proper engine, proper port-holes (not bus windows!), proper stern type and (most importantly) a proper toilet, (even if they don't actually boat in it a great deal.....)

I suspect a family on a hire boat fails so many of these tests as to what constitutes "proper boaters" that if they are being prevented from navigating, it's doing the whole "proper boater" thing one big favour, isn't it ? :lol:

So the hire boat ended up where they wanted to be, give or take a few hundred yards, and their morning departure will be unhindered. Not exactly the way you put it across originally. Incidentally those smileys don't make up for the tone of your posts.

So the hire boat ended up where they wanted to be, give or take a few hundred yards, and their morning departure will be unhindered. Not exactly the way you put it across originally. Incidentally those smileys don't make up for the tone of your posts.

I think we will end it here then my tone is not meant to sound bad I simply dont suffer fools thats no bad thing and anyone blocking the canal is a fool and selfish, why not tell em to moor on the water point next time or a winding hole.......night night sleep tight........... :lol:

If no one actually wants to get past, is the canal blocked?

It depends, really.

If I wish to pass, with a deep draughted boat, in 2 hours time, as I am perfectly entitled to do, would the crew happily rise from their slumber and rearrange their boats, to allow me passage?

Edited by carlt

I believe that yes they would, albeit they might be a bit monosylabic. If you were running at night it would presumably be for a good reason, and we've been known to do it ourselves. Although I doubt you'd have to rouse them - I expect the almighty clang would have done that already.

Edited by twbm

I believe that yes they would, albeit they might be a bit monosylabic. If you were running at night it would presumably be for a good reason, and we've been known to do it ourselves. Although I doubt you'd have to rouse them - I expect the almighty clang would have done that already.

Then I would pass graciously and apologise for the disturbance.

There have been times when I have boated so late I have not even bothered mooring up but stopped in a bridgehole and chucked a mud weight out.

Technically blocking the cut but willing to rise and move, if someone even more of a night owl than me happens to want to come through.

If you were running at night it would presumably be for a good reason

I can boat at night if I want. Why do I need a good reason?

If no one actually wants to get past, is the canal blocked?

Yes. What a stupid question.

Edited by Speedwheel