New Mattress needed

Mary 1

Featured Posts

I have been quoted a big delivery price for the above to braunston, what have all the rest of you done if you have to buy a new mattress. This one is as old as the boat, just foam, and awful. I would like a sprung one, that has a flip up on the last two fee, not a seperate piece.

Mary

last two feet, it should read.

Thank you all, now bought one from midland chandlers, who will put it on boat when I leave the marina. Its split 4ft + 2ft by 4'6 wide, sprung, lovely jubbly

M

Just out of interest - what are you doing with your old one and what are it's dimensions?

Linky to my recent mattress topic:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...c=31059&hl=

:lol:

Just out of interest - what are you doing with your old one and what are it's dimensions?

Linky to my recent mattress topic:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...c=31059&hl=

:lol:

Blimey - you must be desperate, Ange!

This one is as old as the boat, just foam, and awful.

Blimey - you must be desperate, Ange!

You haven't tried sleeping for a year on two cushions pushed together have you!!

Yes I'm desperate :lol:

(I'm thinking the mattress can sit on top of the two cushions - at least I won't keep falling into the gap in between them!)

You haven't tried sleeping for a year on two cushions pushed together have you!!

Yes I'm desperate :lol:

(I'm thinking the mattress can sit on top of the two cushions - at least I won't keep falling into the gap in between them!)

A cheap memory foam mattress topper? Tesbury's had some at £59 last time I looked. Works like a charm for me and rolls up in the daytime (as I have no permanent bed now).

A cheap memory foam mattress topper? Tesbury's had some at £59 last time I looked. Works like a charm for me and rolls up in the daytime (as I have no permanent bed now).

Oo thanks Wriggly - I'll look into that. I must admit I just assumed anything memory foam would cost ££lots so probably haven't looked into it as much as I should have - I didn't realise they did toppers.

I just called Edwardian bedco to finally sort our mattress out. Decided I'm not going to skimp this time - just going to buy the right thing once for a change.

I will be ordering a small double that splits into 3 bits - not totally split but folds. It will then concertina into the bed ole with the quilt and sheet attached for easy pull out the next night. Its a proper framed mattress, well actually 3 mattresses 8" thick 4ft wide and each piece is approx 2ft long. No joins on hips or shoulders.

They quoted me £395 delivered including vat. Sounds alot...but its a proper (not lump of foam) Bespoke bed made exactly to my measurements so I'm prepared to pay for that.

If I get exact measurements or template to them tomorrow I will get it mid next week.

Sounds alot...but its a proper (not lump of foam)

Don't knock "lump of foam" mattresses if they are actually a decent memory foam one.

The (circa £250) memory foam mattress we bought for the boat is superbly comfortable, and we get a much better night's sleep on that than the (circa £600 ?) pocket sprung mattress we have at home.

The next home mattress will definitely be a "lump of foam".

I just called Edwardian bedco to finally sort our mattress out. Decided I'm not going to skimp this time - just going to buy the right thing once for a change.

I will be ordering a small double that splits into 3 bits - not totally split but folds. It will then concertina into the bed ole with the quilt and sheet attached for easy pull out the next night. Its a proper framed mattress, well actually 3 mattresses 8" thick 4ft wide and each piece is approx 2ft long. No joins on hips or shoulders.

They quoted me £395 delivered including vat. Sounds alot...but its a proper (not lump of foam) Bespoke bed made exactly to my measurements so I'm prepared to pay for that.

If I get exact measurements or template to them tomorrow I will get it mid next week.

That sounds a good price. Having said that we've been very happy with foam both on Warrior and (me) on Chertsey but it wasn't a cheap option - my 3'1" x 6' x 3" for Chertsey was £115 for the foam alone. But it is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoopee ,... new mattress arives this morning. It was £395 delivered. Should of had it last week but the dammed courier told a load of Porkies again. It Required the manufacturer to contact them and find out whats happening. I hate courier firms.....I wouldn't of give a shit if they'd got in touch with me and said "Manufacturer has despatched it, we have it, wont be with you until Monday". Thats fine, but oh no, its "we rang you all through last week, and got no answer, we rang you Monday morning and got no answer'.

Why say that when they know they only have my mobile number and mobile phones record incomming missed calls....whats the point. How come they managed to ring me straight away after the manufacturer had been in touch - using the same number...Anyway, I've been here before - poxy couriers.

Its all comming together for this years trip now...!!! Blokes at that Edwardian bedding co place are excellent.

We've been sleeping on an Ikea foam mattress for a year and it's horrible. Just outside Stourbridge basin where we're moored is Foam Wizards. The very helpful bloke there took one look at it and said 'the quality is so bad I'd only ever recommend it for packaging'. And then he went on to explain more than I ever wanted to know about foam!

He's sorting out a new one for us right now (about £160 with a memory foam topper). He seems to know his stuff - does foams for boat and caravan beds - so we're looking forward to a comfortable night's sleep.

We've been sleeping on an Ikea foam mattress for a year and it's horrible. Just outside Stourbridge basin where we're moored is Foam Wizards. The very helpful bloke there took one look at it and said 'the quality is so bad I'd only ever recommend it for packaging'. And then he went on to explain more than I ever wanted to know about foam!

He's sorting out a new one for us right now (about £160 with a memory foam topper). He seems to know his stuff - does foams for boat and caravan beds - so we're looking forward to a comfortable night's sleep.

Hmm. I was thinking of getting a mattress from Ikea sometime :lol:

In what way is it horrible and can you remember which one from their range it was?

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

I also used the Foam Wizards from Stourbridge for 2 single foam beds. Think I paid about £130 for the 2.

You can specify how many layers of foam and of what density you want hard/soft/medium etc.

Edited by stuart

Hmm. I was thinking of getting a mattress from Ikea sometime :lol:

In what way is it horrible and can you remember which one from their range it was?

cheers,

Pete.

I don't know that they make this one anymore (not surprising if they don't). It was basically a thick chunk of that egg-carton style topped foam with a layer of memory foam glued on top. The quality of the main foam was poor and the whole thing had sagged and become mis-shapen in little more than a year. Packaging foam the Foam Wizard called it.

I'd thoroughly recommend Foam Wizards - he knows his stuff and was very keen to save me money too. Even got me to carefully peel off my old memory foam which was ok so he could re-use it on the new one.

The chunk of foam cost me just over £100 so that's a good baseline.

I guess you'd have to sort a cover. Or you could go to Wilsons of Kinver - he does the foam for their mattresses but it'll cost you more.

• 1 month later...

you should of tried midland chandlers, they can do bits as well, would work out lots cheaper, I am very pleased with mine.

M

I'm happy.....Your happy. :D

Dont tell me I "should've gone to spec savers" or I wont be so happy. :angry:

I must admit I didn't realise Swindlers did mattresses let alone at a reasonable price. No, hangon a minute - both of those comments cant be right....A reasonable price...Narrgh.