Gravel Run

LEO

Featured Posts

HI,

Arundel, towing a butty (District No 4) came southbound through the Cowroast to-day at about 12 noon. The butty steerer must have found the northbound journey tough - he had aged about 40 years.

Leo.

yes thankfully i only did one leg of the trip (northbound) at least i found the hawkesbury junction quite easy...

• 2 weeks later...
It's taken some time, thanks mainly to the rubbish editing software (Premiere Elements 8), but here is the video of the gravel run (in 5 parts):

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=19A8A673357DA9D4

Enjoy,

Mike

Fantastic Mike, I really enjoyed watching your super videos, great filming a real master job.

I've got a couple of questions: 1/ how did you manage to get that propellor protecting tyre on ? the same thing happened to me once, going downstream just before I entered a lock on the river Yonne (F) with a laden 38m barge, I picked-up a truck tyre round the prop that got wedged solid between the half tunnel and the prop, to remove it divers of the fire brigade with underwater blow-torches needed 3 hours .

2/ where was Arundal built ? and what's her engine ?

Thanks very much,

Peter.

Fantastic Mike, I really enjoyed watching your super videos, great filming a real master job.

I've got a couple of questions: 1/ how did you manage to get that propellor protecting tyre on ? the same thing happened to me once, going downstream just before I entered a lock on the river Yonne (F) with a laden 38m barge, I picked-up a truck tyre round the prop that got wedged solid between the half tunnel and the prop, to remove it divers of the fire brigade with underwater blow-torches needed 3 hours .

2/ where was Arundal built ? and what's her engine ?

Thanks very much,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

The tyre popped on while frantically reversing when approaching the second to last lock on the Buckby flight. It partially went on I think to start with, but thinking it was a lesser obstruction some forwards and backwards with too many revs on popped it fully on and broke the coupling in one hit. Glad I didn't have to go to the expense of underwater blow-torches, but might a good idea if I get another on without locks or drydock available.

Arundel was built I think at Warwickshire Fly Boats, but I'm not cirtain of that fact. She does have a Lister JP2, rebuilt at Warwickshire Fly which originally came from town class Chiswick.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Peter,

Arundel was built I think at Warwickshire Fly Boats, but I'm not cirtain of that fact. She does have a Lister JP2, rebuilt at Warwickshire Fly which originally came from town class Chiswick.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks for your answers Mike, and happy boating with or without a load in on your beautiful "Victoria".

Peter.