vetus generator problem

mudslide

Featured Posts

I have a Vetus GHS8 , it's had little use and been laid up for the last 18 months .

When I start it up it fires and runs for about 15 seconds then cuts out .

As the symptoms seemed like a fuel problem I ensured that there is fresh diesel , the pump is working and the system bled .

I am now of the opinion that there is some sort of automatic shutdown by the electronics as a solenoid click can be heard.

There is mention of an electrically operated fuel solenoid in the operations manual but no details on servicing or repair.

The ignition warning lights for 'low battery' , 'oil' , and 'temperature' all go out when the engine briefly runs.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or got any advice on how to troubleshoot further ?

thanks

I have the GHS6.

It does the same. Seems if the fuel is starved for any reason it takes several restarts to purge the system. Mine starts slow thne when its happy moves up to full revs.

If it not happy it only runs a tick over or stops. Make sure its got a good flow of water. It won't get going if there is a problem with the water supply.

I am no expert, only my observations. Linky

Biggles

I have the GHS6.

It does the same. Seems if the fuel is starved for any reason it takes several restarts to purge the system. Mine starts slow thne when its happy moves up to full revs.

If it not happy it only runs a tick over or stops. Make sure its got a good flow of water. It won't get going if there is a problem with the water supply.

Biggles

Thanks for the info.

mine also worked as yours before - but this is now many many restarts with no result.

Water flow is normal.

I have the GHS6.

Biggles

if u can find the fuel solinoid u could try 2 open it with a direct 12v+ link and see if that helps

This may be totally wrong, but I have known of Vetus propulsion engines do a similar thing. It is caused by a tiny fuel filter in the back of the electric fuel pump becoming blocked; many people don't seem to know it is there.

It is a bayonet type fitting where the arrow shows:

Vetus-motor-007-1.jpg

Edited by Guest

This may be totally wrong, but I have known of Vetus propulsion engines do a similar thing. It is caused by a tiny fuel filter in the back of the electric fuel pump becoming blocked; many people don't seem to know it is there.

It is a bayonet type fitting where the arrow shows:

Vetus-motor-007-1.jpg

Again thanks for the input

Unfortunately mine has a mechanical pump . I stripped it down this morning and thought I'd found a problem , there was a hair causing the outlet valve to jam open :- cleaned it , bled the system and now back to square one :- runs for 15 seconds and cuts out . The shut down solenoid 'clicks' but only after the engine has stopped so I'm still bemused.

The gensets don't have an electric pump, there may be less problems if they had! Some of them have a filter in the fuel filter housing. I got so fed up with mine and Vetus disinterest that we got rid of it and now have an Onan.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI and to close this thread.

The problem was a faulty Thermo switch in the raw water cooling supply.

The temperature warning light is a seperate unit.

The result is that the warning light does not show a fault ( as there is none ) but the engine cuts out .

The symptoms appear like fuel starvation.

Easy to identify , just disconnect the thermo switch .

• 1 month later...

The gensets don't have an electric pump, there may be less problems if they had! Some of them have a filter in the fuel filter housing. I got so fed up with mine and Vetus disinterest that we got rid of it and now have an Onan.

Gen sets can have electric pumps as they were introduced for enclosed generators, due to ozone causing deterioation to the rubber diaphrams of mechanical liftpumps. I was told this by a dutch vetus main dealer.

I concur with your view about onan gensets, a very quiet piece of kit, particularly when fitted with halyard exhaust systems.

What I should have said is that the Vetus GHS8 doesn't have an electric pump. I didn't mean to imply that no gensets have them. Indeed, my Onan has an electric pump and you can prime the system simply by keeping your finger on the stop button.

Regards

Pete