Calder and Hebble Spike

boatyboy

Featured Posts

Evening guys and Gals.Wife and I are presently moored on the Aire and Calder,soon to be on the Calder and Hebble.We both remember from our hire boat days (20 year apprenticeship) using a wooden spike to open certain paddles on the locks.Well i need to make one during my visit this week home in Essex. Do any of you have any dimensions and /or pictures of said spike.If you do could you email the details please to ds9150@googlemail.com

The reason for asking for emails as i can never find my posted topics once posted on here......Is it just me :lol: ?.

One other question my wife just reminded me to ask is....Our narrowboat is 57' long,and i believe the locks on the C&H are only 58'. How tight will it be in the locks? :lol::lol: Choose your answer carefully...hehe

Thanks Dave and Di Narrowboat Urquhart Castle.

Evening guys and Gals.Wife and I are presently moored on the Aire and Calder,soon to be on the Calder and Hebble.We both remember from our hire boat days (20 year apprenticeship) using a wooden spike to open certain paddles on the locks.Well i need to make one during my visit this week home in Essex. Do any of you have any dimensions and /or pictures of said spike.If you do could you email the details please to ds9150@googlemail.com

The reason for asking for emails as i can never find my posted topics once posted on here......Is it just me :lol: ?.

One other question my wife just reminded me to ask is....Our narrowboat is 57' long,and i believe the locks on the C&H are only 58'. How tight will it be in the locks? :lol::lol: Choose your answer carefully...hehe

Thanks Dave and Di Narrowboat Urquhart Castle.

Pics and dimensions here :-

http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/calder/handspike.htm

Also info on lock sizes and access.

Edited by johnjo

We are moored there and if you dont have a hand spike, then you can get away with using a bank pin or a pick axe handle.

As for the locks you should be OK at 99% of them, just 1 maybe 2 that get a bit tight.

When you join the Calder and Hebble at Fall Ings becareful as this lock can be very nasty, becareful with the paddles as they are a bit fierce.

After rejoining the river, look to your right and give us a wave, if we see you i will wave back. :lol: