Best boat at Crick Show?

Athy

Featured Posts

We went to the Crick show on Sunday and looked at all the boats from the outside and six or seven from the inside. We ended up with two clear favourites, from absolutely opposite ends of the market:

- the 62' William Piper, a truly exceptional fit-out in well-matched mellow reclaimed wood, with a range cooker, a proper engine (Greaves), imaginative design of boatman's cabin, and a cute little parlour. Apparently cost over £100,000 but we thought that the lady owner had spent her money wisely.

- the Drayton Boats 30 -footer, did not notice its name, packed a lot into its length, semi-trad (unusual for a short boat), very good headroom, cosy and competent interior fit-out, though rough at the edges in some ways ( roof was wavy-navy, engine hatch closed with a clang! instead of a clunk), but a brand new narrowboat for about £35,000.

Our un-favourite was a dreadful widebeam, exhibited on dry land, with wheel steering and the flowing grace of a tank landing craft. It may have offered luxurious accommodation within, but we didn't look.

What were yours? Has any member ordered a boat at the show?

We went to the Crick show on Sunday and looked at all the boats from the outside and six or seven from the inside. We ended up with two clear favourites, from absolutely opposite ends of the market:

- the 62' William Piper, a truly exceptional fit-out in well-matched mellow reclaimed wood, with a range cooker, a proper engine (Greaves), imaginative design of boatman's cabin, and a cute little parlour. Apparently cost over £100,000 but we thought that the lady owner had spent her money wisely.

- the Drayton Boats 30 -footer, did not notice its name, packed a lot into its length, semi-trad (unusual for a short boat), very good headroom, cosy and competent interior fit-out, though rough at the edges in some ways ( roof was wavy-navy, engine hatch closed with a clang! instead of a clunk), but a brand new narrowboat for about £35,000.

Our un-favourite was a dreadful widebeam, exhibited on dry land, with wheel steering and the flowing grace of a tank landing craft. It may have offered luxurious accommodation within, but we didn't look.

We shall be sailing away in what we feel is better than any of the boats on display at Crick - a scruffy, deep-draughted, R W Davis prototype - it may not be everybody's choice but, for us, it is so much better than the floating caravans . . .

There were a pleasing number of boats with traditional features as well as the floating caravans. We saw one with a Gardner engine, one with a Greaves, one with a Russell Newbery, one with a Lister JP3 and one with a tractor, whoops, Beta JD3 engine. It was a pity that several maunfacturers thought that anything with a trad engine or a boatman's cabin had to be "adorned" with fake rivets - even the lovely William Piper boat was guilty of this.

Alnwick, your boat is unique and you love her dearly so I am not surprised that you would not swop her for any of those on view at the show. We are pretty fond of 'Trojan', but I must admit that I left the show wondering what a 45 foot William Piper boat would be like.

We went on Saturday on the opening day.... unfortunately we picked the worst day weather wise, but it was the only day we could make. We had a thoroughly enoyable day and learnt so much in our quest to find a boat.

I have to say the boat that my partner and I fell in love with was Nirvana, now I know its not everyone's taste but it certainly ticked all the boxes for us and if we could have taken one home from that day then Nirvana would have been it! We did have a good look round lots of others, we were impressed with the Stillwater nb, the Piper and of course Revilo although that is way out of our budget range... we can but dream :lol:

We think that the William Piper boat will do it again this year as overall favourite, we managed to get some nice interior pics if anyone wants a look.

The Stoke boat was very nice but a bit warm at £134K for 62' and yes... I went for the 67' SM Hudson tug as favourite boat in show (listens out for hisses and ready to dodge the rotten fruit soon to be making its way in his direction) closely followed by the William Piper, the better halfs first choice and then the Stokie.

I think this comes as a very high contender but heard that it had been withdrawn from the voting as having way too unfair an advantage...

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/159/050gf.jpg

:lol:

• Greenie 1

Agree entirely about the Drayton - a great little boat, really well finished and a super package for under £40k.

But you should have looked in the widebeam hotel boat: it was extremely well built with many ingenious solutions to complex problems. Wet room showers, underfloor heating, a forward saloon with slide-back windows and roof, three double cabins plus a crew cabin -- we might not want this stuff in our boats but it all works well and I say good luck to them in a bold floating hotel venture which they've staked their own cash and careers on. (The looks, btw, are loosely based on an L&L short boat since they are cruising the L&L).

My favourite boat remains Star .... at least until Harry is up and running!

the Drayton Boats 30 -footer, did not notice its name, packed a lot into its length, semi-trad (unusual for a short boat), very good headroom, cosy and competent interior fit-out, though rough at the edges in some ways ( roof was wavy-navy, engine hatch closed with a clang! instead of a clunk), but a brand new narrowboat for about £35,000.

Have to agree with you on the Drayton boat - nice solid feel to it.

Engine hatch a bit naff, and hopeful that was only rain water down there because of it.

Shame it was the only small boat there, or did I miss any?

Steve

Kevin, I stand corrected - I had not realised that this was a hotel boat. You don't expect to see a hotel boat for sale at Crick!

It wasn't for sale -- though you could buy a holiday on it of course. And very enjoyable it would be too I hope. I guess it was there to showcase the builder's work which I thought was pretty damned good, sorting that lot out and bringing it all in for £200k.

Have to say was a tad disappointed this year over last - though this year we where there with a different agenda ie we actually wanted to find somebody who could build us a boat that was in our price range.... last year we really just went to drool over the boats.

We actually ended up not looking at many of the show boats as most were clearly out of our price league. The ones that we stood a chance of affording, were superficially very nice but that seemed about it - durability and standard of workmanship was doubtful.

We would for example loved to have seen Stoke on Trent to be showcasing their std. range not some fancy boat that no doubt was very nice (we didn't bother looking) but was something we probably wouldn't want even if we could afford it.

We had planned a second day at the show today but armed with the knowledge that we either need to get a good quality used boat or spend the same and get a new affordable boat that will probably not last out as well over coming years we are minded back to slightly older boats.

So today we had a much better day visiting several brokers in the midlands and have seen at least two that tick our boxes. We've given up on trying to get one that meets all our layout and stern config. criteria and are now focussed on just getting a quality boat that we like and 'feels' right - 2 we have seen today definitely do that.

We also spent dome of the day sorting a mooring - having dismally failed to secure one oop north that offers any sort of security and peace of mind we have sourced one at Mercia Marina - it might seem a way from home but it actually works out at only 2 hours away - not much further in time than some of the ones we looked at on the L&L (M1 and A38 mean ready access to Willington). We'll initially need one pretty close to the Midlands, the area were I'm pretty sure we'll end up buying one from - in time we move any boat we buy further north but for now this will suit us fine.

So in answer to the original question our two favourite boats this weekend weren't even at the show!!

Edited by MJG

Any wooden boats there?

Edited to say: Rhetorical question, of course.

Several had wood on the inside but I guess that doesn't count?

My favourite from looking at the outside of the boats (not bothered about looking over them as I have a boat already) was the Stoke on Trent boat.

Have to say was a tad disappointed this year over last - though this year we where there with a different agenda ie we actually wanted to find somebody who could build us a boat that was in our price range.... last year we really just went to drool over the boats.

We actually ended up not looking at many of the show boats as most were clearly out of our price league. The ones that were, were superficially very nice but that seemed about it - durability and standard of workmanship was doubtful.

snipped

So in answer to the original question our two favourite boats this weekend weren't even at the show!!

Don't forget that there are a few good builders that punch way above their weight but are too small to take a spot at Crick. Crick, although a good showcase, isn't the be all and end all of boat builders. It depends what your criterion is for a boat and the standard of build for the money you're considering.

Roger

Please dont take offence at my reply to your enthusiastic report on the piper boat, but, It was a big dissapointment to me. while the feel that they try to get is exactly to our taste the execution was a little naff. The claim of reclaimed timber throuought is dubious the narrow worktop on the non appliance side was badly bowed indicating non seasoned timber, the finish in general was poorly done despite the claim that it was cobbled together for the show. The toilet bowl was within eigtheen inches of your nose when sitting in the bath and everything was just a little twee even though we like distressed and reclaimed things, it is an aquired skill to get the right feel and this boat is very wide of the mark. The most naff and potentially lethal item was the slideaway front step that took tweedum to the outer limits.

Don't forget that there are a few good builders that punch way above their weight but are too small to take a spot at Crick. Crick, although a good showcase, isn't the be all and end all of boat builders. It depends what your criterion is for a boat and the standard of build for the money you're considering.

Roger

Agreed, and also on the subject of what boats the builders take, remember that with the exception of big operators like Aqualine, most exhibitors just take what they have got ready. They build one or two boats at a time to customer order so they have little choice on what to take - and even less if the person they have built the boat for doesn't want thousands of muddy feet tramping through his pride and joy.

If you want to see a wider selection from a given builder then go to an open day as well.

BTW anyone know yet what the official 'best boat' at Crick was this year?

Agreed, and also on the subject of what boats the builders take, remember that with the exception of big operators like Aqualine, most exhibitors just take what they have got ready. They build one or two boats at a time to customer order so they have little choice on what to take - and even less if the person they have built the boat for doesn't want thousands of muddy feet tramping through his pride and joy.

If you want to see a wider selection from a given builder then go to an open day as well.

BTW anyone know yet what the official 'best boat' at Crick was this year?

I've heard much about these mysterious builders who can do much in their garden shed....but when the time comes to buy??

Well there was Fernwood and Heartwood but not Keith Wood.

Oh and these

I'll get my coat...

Nice models which we saw - wish I had the skill to build one....especially as one was a boat which we nearly bought...Merry Doll..

Very economical and low mooring fees I here

Build quality was very high though....

Edited by MJG

I've heard much about these mysterious builders who can do much in their garden shed....but when the time comes to buy??

No, you're missing my point, even established operators like Stoke Boats, Fernwood, Braidbar etc don't exactly have fleets of show demonstrators sitting waiting for the likes of Crick. They built bespoke boats one or two at a time and probably only have one or at best a couple of newly finished or virtually new ones that the owner has not yet filled with personal effects that are ready for the show.

Any wooden boats there?

Edited to say: Rhetorical question, of course.

Ah, not quite. Linnet watched the proceedings from the other end of the marina and she's all wood :lol:

Did anyone from here see my little boat pony though?

Edited by Kez

Ah, not quite. Linnet watched the proceedings from the other end of the marina and she's all wood :lol:

Did anyone from here see my little boat pony though?

Yes.. no photo though..

No, you're missing my point, even established operators like Stoke Boats, Fernwood, Braidbar etc don't exactly have fleets of show demonstrators sitting waiting for the likes of Crick. They built bespoke boats one or two at a time and probably only have one or at best a couple of newly finished or virtually new ones that the owner has not yet filled with personal effects that are ready for the show.

at my budget which is around £70K, don't think so....

BTW Crick is full of boats along with their owners demonstrating them along with their personal effects, Braidbair last year and Wharfe House this year.

Edited by MJG