Help! has anyone seen my boat?

dccruiser

Featured Posts

Serious help needed please, i have just bought this boat .... ebay item number 300426127781 which is a completed listing, now the guy i have bought it from wont tell me where it is ... all i know is it is somewhere in north london area, please look at all the pics as it was painted grey recently. Any help would be seriously appreciated as it is turning into a legal case

cheers

Rick

As it only finished last night, and the guy has included a picture of himself in the listing, which would appear in itself daft if he were trying a scam, and I assume you have not parted with any cash, can I enquire as to why it's already turning into a legal case.

I know it could be disappointing that he may have decided not to sell after having allowed it to run to the end on Ebay, and that in itself means he has broken his contract and could be guilty of breaching Ebay rules, but I would have thought that unless you've paid any cash that it wouldn't be worth the worry & hassle to pursue it further, or have I missed something?

A couple of the others pictures look like just south of Nash Locks on the GU, near Hemel Hempstead.

These could have been taken anytime - although if it's true that it's been gutted since the beginning of the year, the leaves on the trees suggest that the Nash ones are fairly recent.

Cath

edited - clumsy fingers

Edited by Catrin

I happen to have previous experience in this matter as I was successfully sued in county court by an ebay buyer I got fed up with and told to get lost (turns out he was a serial litigator).

His case basically rested on the fact that he paid via PayPal and at that point title passed to him.

What’s worse was the law books I sold to him before he started messing me around sold for around £10.

He showed his own auctions on Amazon for the same books priced at around £2000 (he was a law book dealer).

The judge found in his favour and I ended up paying out in full but ONLY because title passed to him at the moment he PAID via PayPal.

A couple of the others pictures look like just south of Nash Locks on the GU, near Hemel Hempstead.

These could have been taken anytime - although if it's true that it's been gutted since the beginning of the year, the leaves on the trees suggest that the Nash ones are fairly recent.

Cath

edited - clumsy fingers

Thank you for the info cath i thought it was somewhere in that area ... would still like to know its current whereabouts as if he has sold it outside ebay they will take action against him , he has breached the legal terms of the auction contract , on the phone he gave several different excuses then told me he wasnt selling me the boat under any circumstances and i should look for another ... one of the reasons being the engine had died , i told him i still was happy to buy it at the price i won it at, so obviously if it is being moved i would like to know as i am taking legal action against him as i succesfully did this in the past against a guy i won a car from below market value who then refused to sell it to me.

Rick

I happen to have previous experience in this matter as I was successfully sued in county court by an ebay buyer I got fed up with and told to get lost (turns out he was a serial litigator).

His case basically rested on the fact that he paid via PayPal and at that point title passed to him.

What’s worse was the law books I sold to him before he started messing me around sold for around £10.

He showed his own auctions on Amazon for the same books priced at around £2000 (he was a law book dealer).

The judge found in his favour and I ended up paying out in full but ONLY because title passed to him at the moment he PAID via PayPal.

I have offered to pay the full amount , i also requested his address through ebay which i now have and told him as he refused to tell me where it was i would put the money in his hand and go and find it myself.

.... whichever way it goes , i will not let this go at all.

Rick]

Cath

edited - clumsy fingers

It looks to me that all the "gutted" pictures are taken where Catrin says, just South of Nash mills, opposite the moorings of the "Reach Out" and "Dacorum Narrowboat Project" boats.

You can see the distinctive bridge and the locks forward through the front doors and windows.

I certainly recognise the boat, but in the colours, not in the grey.

As it wasn't badly painted, IIRC, it seems odd to have covered it in primer - almost like they are trying to hide it's previous distinctive identity ?

Have just spoke to the ebay online help they told me as mentioned if i pay it is mine , so now paid by paypal , so now looking for MY boat so would really appreciate any help or info please

Rick

You may have paid Paypal but unless he claims the money from Paypal does it count as having paid the seller? He actually hasn't received the money personally yet. Money in Paypal alwasy seems to be money in limbo which they can freeze or return to the buyer at will.

Paul H

If the vendor is being such a donkeyhole, I would not wish to trade with him; I'd walk away and find another nice boat to buy. You may still have that chance although you have paid, as the recipient has the choice of not claiming your payment, so you may be able to get your money back.

I may have missed this earlier in the thread, but has the chap given you a reason for refusing to sell to you? It does seem an odd way to behave, given that the reason that people advertise goods on eBay is to sell them.

If the vendor is being such a donkeyhole, I would not wish to trade with him; I'd walk away and find another nice boat to buy. You may still have that chance although you have paid, as the recipient has the choice of not claiming your payment, so you may be able to get your money back.

I may have missed this earlier in the thread, but has the chap given you a reason for refusing to sell to you? It does seem an odd way to behave, given that the reason that people advertise goods on eBay is to sell them.

or just to let people know they are for sale rather than to actually make a sale?

maybe he wasn't happy with the end price and is waiting for a better offer...

Ebay does have a funny way of throwing up random bargains and some sellers might get disappointed.

although £8k for an empty boat isn't that much of a bargain :lol:

If you knew it was all going to be a hassel why pay the guy? You were talking 'legals' before you were even out of pocket!

Now after he's told you he dosn't want to proceed with the sale you've paid him, sorry, but for a luddite like me, it makes no sense :lol:

You just seem to be spoiling for a fight :lol: Dissapointing it may be to loose the boat but to deliberatly put your self out of pocket seems daft its not the end of the world (yet)

Paul

Have just spoke to the ebay online help they told me as mentioned if i pay it is mine , so now paid by paypal , so now looking for MY boat so would really appreciate any help or info please

Rick

Watch your PayPal account carefully.

I *think* one can refuse/refund payment, but never having had to do it, I don't know the process. :lol:

I *think* one can refuse/refund payment, but never having had to do it, I don't know the process. :lol:

You can refund money related to an Ebay item, and that's one of the resolutions for the complaint process where an item doesn't appear... The other main one being the seller proving the item was posted in a trackable way, showing the recipient received it.

If the Paypal payment is for an Ebay auction item, and the seller has a seller's (Premium, it used to be called) account, then the money can't be refused, but can be refunded later.

If it's a non-premium account at the seller's end, then the money does need to be 'claimed' and hence can be 'not claimed' eventually. No idea what that actually does to the legal situation, mind...

For a seller, accepting Paypal for an item that's going to be collected, not posted, is to open yourself up to exploitation - there's nothing stopping a buyer collecting an item and then opening a complaint saying it wasn't received. I seem to remember it's either a rule or a strong recommendation that sellers don't accept Paypal for non-postable-trackably items.

PC

paypal wont give the seller the money until 21 days after the sale or until you gve positive feedback.

Personally though I'd just walk away ebay is full of self pleasurers and I wouldn't want to start a project on bad blood just taints things.

K

The seller can refund the buyer via Paypal, however there is a fee payable by the seller so he (the seller) would be 'out of pocket'. If this is the path the seller takes, he would have to have 'accepted' payment in order to refund it. I doubt the buyer would have much claim to the boat since he's not 'out of pocket'. Technicaly the seller's broken the rules, but since the buyer had a full refund, there's not much left to present a case against the seller other than breach of contract (which could be costly).

paypal wont give the seller the money until 21 days after the sale or until you gve positive feedback.

Personally though I'd just walk away ebay is full of self pleasurers and I wouldn't want to start a project on bad blood just taints things.

K

Since when? It's been a while since we sold much on Ebay, but that's not our experience with a 'Premium' sellers' account. There's the Escrow scheme, but that's something else entirely...

PC