Help! has anyone seen my boat?

dccruiser

Featured Posts

If anybody still cares about the boat, Hazells Locks), it is currently moored just North of the swing bridge at Winkwell, by the Three Horseshoes.

It has quite a few people with it, but I wasn;t brave enough to find out if it was a new owner, or those who refused to sell to the OP.

It's still all sorts of colours, and looks fairly stripped inside.

I had a look on eBay last night............ The seller still has only 1 feedback, and no items currently for sale.

Not sure what conclusion we can draw from that, except he hasn't closed the account and done a runner.

Think the OP has done a runner not been seen on thus thread since he placed it.

He has made at least a couple of visits since he placed his opening thread and the last time was ........

It is accurate however to note that his supposed boat has been spotted more times than he has.

edited because bacon and eggs arrival distracted my grammar, and so it shall always be.

Edited by zenataomm

He has made at least a couple of visits since he placed his opening thread and the last time was ........

It is accurate however to note that his supposed boat has been spotted more times than he has.

edited because bacon and eggs arrival distracted my grammar, and so it shall always be.

Hi, sorry i havent responded sooner,

firstly thank you to those who helped with the location of the boat, i needed to establish the guy concerned had sold it outside of ebay hence waiting to get proof of that.

Although a few made comments to my foolhardiness i had to go through the process as i knew i was safe where paypal was concerned , as it happens he declined the payment... i just wanted to teach the guy a lesson and take it as far as i could and am working to get him banned from ebay.

As it stands the boat at 34 rather than 38' would have been smaller than i wanted anyway and i have now bought ebay item number Item number: 220608015551 so am finally back to being a ditch crawler ... so if anyone is in the market for a very cheap nauticus , please see my listing in for sale and wanted...... and i also may be in the market for a cheap sr2 if someone has one lying around!

thanks again

Rick

Hi, sorry i havent responded sooner,

firstly thank you to those who helped with the location of the boat, i needed to establish the guy concerned had sold it outside of ebay hence waiting to get proof of that.

Although a few made comments to my foolhardiness i had to go through the process as i knew i was safe where paypal was concerned , as it happens he declined the payment... i just wanted to teach the guy a lesson and take it as far as i could and am working to get him banned from ebay.

As it stands the boat at 34 rather than 38' would have been smaller than i wanted anyway and i have now bought ebay item number Item number: 220608015551 so am finally back to being a ditch crawler ... so if anyone is in the market for a very cheap nauticus , please see my listing in for sale and wanted...... and i also may be in the market for a cheap sr2 if someone has one lying around!

thanks again

Rick

Oh dear ...... I fear for anyone who goes through life looking to teach others lessons. :lol:

i needed to establish the guy concerned had sold it outside of ebay hence waiting to get proof of that.

Although a few made comments to my foolhardiness i had to go through the process as i knew i was safe where paypal was concerned , Oh no you're not! ......as it happens he declined the payment... i just wanted to teach the guy a lesson and take it as far as i could and am working to get him banned from ebay. He won't be banned - just a slap on the wrist. Nothing stopping him reappearing under another ID - I've seen it done with two ebay members in the last 18 months.

...... and i also may be in the market for a cheap sr2 if someone has one lying around!

As to SR2.......item 120575833884?

To complete this, someone we know via the forums who was at Winkwell last night had chatted with the people who now have the boat.

They had confirmed that they had indeed completed a transaction other than by e-Bay, and were I believe unaware of this whole story until the person we know had spoken to them.

So it seems the wrong-doing is solely by the owner who offered it for sale multiple ways, but failed to withdraw it from e-Bay after he had sold it elsewhere.

It seems they are happy with their puchase, but that the engine may indeed need work.

Given the boat is also internally gutted, and half covered in dubious grey paint, I still wonder if it was worth even the e-Bay price, particularly if it's the shorter length.

I think it likely that the last owner has lost quite a lot of money by reducing it to the state they had, so that alone may be a lesson they have learnt!

There are cars advertised on eBay with 'buy now' prices or which are in the process of being auctioned but if someone turns up with the right weight of cash the seller will do a deal.

There will by definition be a period of time before they remove the listing from eBay. It shouldn't be a long time but it might be some hours depending on the attitude, work practices and memory of the seller.

If, during this time, someone else 'buys' or wins an auction on the car then its a bit difficult because it it has already been sold so therefore it is not available to sell.

of course it is possible to add 'I reserve the right to remove this listing at any time' but not everyone does that.

Its a bit awkward. If someone wanted to be very severe on this and go to court it might turn out interesting.

:lol:

There are cars advertised on eBay with 'buy now' prices or which are in the process of being auctioned but if someone turns up with the right weight of cash the seller will do a deal.

There will by definition be a period of time before they remove the listing from eBay. It shouldn't be a long time but it might be some hours depending on the attitude, work practices and memory of the seller.

If, during this time, someone else 'buys' or wins an auction on the car then its a bit difficult because it it has already been sold so therefore it is not available to sell.

of course it is possible to add 'I reserve the right to remove this listing at any time' but not everyone does that.

Its a bit awkward. If someone wanted to be very severe on this and go to court it might turn out interesting.

:lol:

The courts won't enforce ebay rules though will they? And as far as I recall the Sale of Goods Act places a seller under no obligation to complete a sale just because they have offered the item for sale in the first place. The offer can be withdrawn at any time, and in this case the offer was withdrawn before payment was made so I wouldn't think any law had been broken.

dccruiser, good luck with the refurbishment :lol:

Albert.

Thank you Albert, i am hoping it will arrive on friday and am itching to get on with it, I have already organised a work party to get it ready for blacking and a coat of paint am just looking for someone capable of replacing the ply front with steel so the front end will resemble the canalcraft hire boats as i want to maximise the available space and will fit a pram hood to the stern so dont have a need for a cratch and it also facilitates for a reverse layout with a full size fixed double at the front :lol:

Rick

As to SR2.......item 120575833884?

Thanks for the info Dave

Rick

Thank you Albert, i am hoping it will arrive on friday and am itching to get on with it, I have already organised a work party to get it ready for blacking and a coat of paint am just looking for someone capable of replacing the ply front with steel so the front end will resemble the canalcraft hire boats as i want to maximise the available space and will fit a pram hood to the stern so dont have a need for a cratch and it also facilitates for a reverse layout with a full size fixed double at the front :lol:

From eBay listing.... Q: Andy I went to view the boat today. The hull is ok'ish will need a little bit of plating and the cabin is rotton but will be ok with a lot of work.

Obviously I haven't seen the boat, but it looks like the first of your priorities may be to start with overplating, anodes etc? Could be a nice looking boat, but if it were mine, I'd remove that monstrosity entirely and plan the refit to maximize space to include a fixed double. Spacewise, it's already a big step up from a Nauticus :lol:

Well done Rick, you have a lot of work to do but you've got yourself a narrowboat for less than half the price of the previous one which you bid on. From the main photo, you appear to have got a free garden shed with it too. I hope you will keep us updated on your progress in renovating the boat.

Well done dccruiser,you have my total respect,because if i had bought that boat i would never sleep again,and would be dead within the week with worry.

Its a good job there are people like you about to give these unloved boats a new lease of life.

Kind Regards,

Twinpot.

Have to admit I thought you were a bit of a plonker at the start of this thread, but having seen the condition of the NB you intend to refurbish I can only admire your intentions, sincere good luck. :lol:

Looked her up on Jim Sheads listing and she's seems quite shallow so should have no probs with Supermarket trolleys 'Draft 0.01 metres' :lol:

From eBay listing.... Q: Andy I went to view the boat today. The hull is ok'ish will need a little bit of plating and the cabin is rotton but will be ok with a lot of work.

Obviously I haven't seen the boat, but it looks like the first of your priorities may be to start with overplating, anodes etc? Could be a nice looking boat, but if it were mine, I'd remove that monstrosity entirely and plan the refit to maximize space to include a fixed double. Spacewise, it's already a big step up from a Nauticus :lol:

New anodes will go on as soon as a matter of course as she will be on a hardstanding for a couple of months yet, as for the comments of the guy who veiwed it before me , he actually did a full survey on the boat ( he is a boat examiner apparently)

I didnt have any ultrasonics or whatever , but some very hard hits with a sharp screwdriver didnt even scratch the topsides, as for the hull i could also find no pitting deep enough to suggest that it will require plating , but i will get it professionally checked before i black it, i can only assume he was hoping his comments would be added to the listing to scare off any potential competition.

Thanks for the comments of support i will of course keep a diary of pics of the renovation as i know it has the potential to make a lovely boat and hopefully with a lot of hard work i will realise that potential :lol:

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

I thought you had bought this boat?

I have just noticed it back up for sale!!

Was it in too much of a state? Or did you back out for some other reason?

After all you have said on this thread I just find it strange that the boat you have bought and was being delivered to you 2 weeks ago is back up for sale on Ebay. :lol:

bad spelling

Edited by Madmark62