Oil Temp Guage

Tim Doran

Featured Posts

I would like to add an oil and water temp guage to my engine. I have a barrus shire 35hp engine with little lights for the temp. The control panel looks like this

barrus_control.jpg

Would it be possible to add additional guages to a panel elsewhere.

Where could I retro fit the senders, is there a standard place on engines where there would be a handy lug to screw into?

I have used the search and have not found any instructions about how I could go about fitting one so any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

I would like to add an oil and water temp guage to my engine. I have a barrus shire 35hp engine with little lights for the temp. The control panel looks like this

barrus_control.jpg

Where could I retro fit the senders, is there a standard place on engines where there would be a handy lug to screw into?

I have used the search and have not found any instructions about how I could go about fitting one so any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

Hi Tim

It should be easy to fit a temperature guage as there will be a threaded hole for a sensor some where around the thermostats block.

Halfords/Car spares will sell a kit with a sensor and guage, you will just need to take a feed to it.

Take a look at Barrus manual wireing diagram if you dont already have one.

It's not normal to have an oil temperature guage - usually an oil pressure guage

You can also buy a kit for this but I cant remember where they fit the sensor on the engine.

Alex

When I did the same on a Vetus, I used Vetus gauges, which helped as the senders were a straight replacement for the existing ones. Vetus also do small circuit boards which hang on the back of the gauges and allow the existing lghts to be retained. I have since added a "T" piece at the oil pressure sender and replaced the original low pressure switch as well as the gauge sender.

A T piece is probably the best way to go for an oil pressure gauge, although there might be a slight difficulty getting hold of one with the correct thread for the engine block.

Iain

Hi Tim

It should be easy to fit a temperature guage as there will be a threaded hole for a sensor some where around the thermostats block.

Halfords/Car spares will sell a kit with a sensor and guage, you will just need to take a feed to it.

Take a look at Barrus manual wireing diagram if you dont already have one.

It's not normal to have an oil temperature guage - usually an oil pressure guage

You can also buy a kit for this but I cant remember where they fit the sensor on the engine.

Alex

Hi Alex

I got keyboard happy and confused. I did mean an oil pressure guage.

I have had a look at the manual and it look like they use a vdo oil guage which should mean that I could get a fleebay vdo one. I looked at the wiring diagram and the wire I am looking for should be purple(?) Would the best thing be to play hunt the purple wire and see where it goes? If I was really lucky the loom would be a standard complete one and it would just be a matter of fitting a guage in.

Tim

Tim

Hi Alex

I got keyboard happy and confused. I did mean an oil pressure guage.

I have had a look at the manual and it look like they use a vdo oil guage which should mean that I could get a fleebay vdo one. I looked at the wiring diagram and the wire I am looking for should be purple(?) Would the best thing be to play hunt the purple wire and see where it goes? If I was really lucky the loom would be a standard complete one and it would just be a matter of fitting a guage in.

Tim

Tim

I don't think that this is going to be as easy as you hope. The oil pressure sensor will be a low-oil-pressure switch and the temperature sensor will be an over-temperature switch IMO. You will need to replace these items with temperature and pressure SENSORS and fit matched gauges I reckon.

Roger

When I did the same on a Vetus...

Where did you get the parts, Iain? I've been contemplating doing the same on our M3.10 but after talking to Vetus I decided I didn't want another mortgage :lol:

Tony

Where did you get the parts, Iain? I've been contemplating doing the same on our M3.10 but after talking to Vetus I decided I didn't want another mortgage :lol:

Tony

King's Lock. The price was a bit more than the likes of VDO, but not too bad fo a once only purchase.

Iain

I don't think that this is going to be as easy as you hope. The oil pressure sensor will be a low-oil-pressure switch and the temperature sensor will be an over-temperature switch IMO. You will need to replace these items with temperature and pressure SENSORS and fit matched gauges I reckon.

Roger

I'd ADD sensors, if possible, especially on the oil pressure. The low pressure switch is a lot more reliable than a gauge sender, and it is very easy to get REALLY worried about low oil pressure, confirmed by two indications, but forgetting that it's really one sender responsible for both... :lol:

Iain

<snip>

I'd ADD sensors, if possible, especially on the oil pressure. The low pressure switch is a lot more reliable than a gauge sender, and it is very easy to get REALLY worried about low oil pressure, confirmed by two indications, but forgetting that it's really one sender responsible for both... :lol:

Iain

I'll second that. There's a big difference between a little needle dropping to the end of a scale and a BIG RED LIGHT coming on. One is very hard to ignore. I'd want to know if my oil pressure just went to zero

Richard

Are you sure the senders are not already there? most Beta engines come with light and pressure/temp senders and you just choose the panel. if they are you just need to get VDO gauges (standard on Beta) and I agree with others that a light is the first thing you see, though if your panel has a warnig sounder with the ignition on/before starting, the sounder also goes off on high temp or low oil pressure

Edited twice to add missing words!

Edited by Radio-Ga-Ga

Roger

I hope it might have the wires in place. The 'dulux' panel is available from Barrus for the shire 35, and there appears to be the correct wiring. An I reading this correct. In the first image there is pin 8 and 10 blue and purple which connect to the sensors shown on the dulux wiring panel.

wiring diagram

shire_35_wiring.jpg

dulux panel with oil and water sensors

shire_dulux_panel.jpg

I do have a buzzer which will sound when either alternator fails, oil pressure fails or engine overheats. The voice of experiance reminds me of over heating due to a split pipe.

Tim

Edited by Tim Doran

The panel diagram shows the wires, the wires may be in the harness, but were the sensors ever fitted to the engine in the first place? That's the question

Richard

Exactly. My point, that I was clumsily trying to make, is that the sensors for the requirements of the non-deluxe panel won't necessarily be the same for the deluxe panel with gauges. You need to establish whether you have switches or sensors fitted, then check the wiring, then decide on sourcing parts. I agree with others that a warning light coupled with a warning buzzer is an excellent additional warning to gauges alone as it draws your attention to a significant problem when it happens. You can still use an eyeball on the gauges to warn you if that problem is looming on the horizon though :lol:

Roger

<snip>

You can still use an eyeball on the gauges to warn you if that problem is looming on the horizon though

Like I use the oil pressure gauge on the Midget to tell me the oil level is low?

Richard

Perhaps I shouldn't brake so hard

Edited by RLWP

I hope it might have the wires in place. The 'dulux' panel is available from Barrus for the shire 35, and there appears to be the correct wiring. An I reading this correct. In the first image there is pin 8 and 10 blue and purple which connect to the sensors shown on the dulux wiring panel.

Tim

It looks as though you are correct. A simple check of the sensors now will tell you whether the correct type (switch and sensor) are fitted. Then, if so, and assuming that the real loom matches the diagram you can wire in two matching gauges as an add-on following the diagram for the gauges from the de-luxe panel.

Roger

It looks as though you are correct. A simple check of the sensors now will tell you whether the correct type (switch and sensor) are fitted. Then, if so, and assuming that the real loom matches the diagram you can wire in two matching gauges as an add-on following the diagram for the gauges from the de-luxe panel.

Roger

I have had a look and the loom exists as in the diagram, however the sensor is not there. The wires are just clipped back upon itself. Would it be a big job to fit one. I think that there is just a blanking nut where the sensor would screw into. I shall try and take a photo to see what people think

Tim

I have had a look and the loom exists as in the diagram, however the sensor is not there. The wires are just clipped back upon itself. Would it be a big job to fit one. I think that there is just a blanking nut where the sensor would screw into. I shall try and take a photo to see what people think

Tim

A photo of both the oil pressure switch and water temperature switch (and immediate surroundings) would be useful.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

barrus_control.jpg

Tim

Hi There So sorry to join in this but I have only just returned from holyday I too have a barrrus 35 with the same configuration as yours I have since fitted a water temp, engine oil temp and engine oil pessure gauges there is NO provision for the engine oil/temp senders but I obtained a unit that fitts between the oil filter and engine block with various openings for senders ( http://www.rspec.co.uk/index.php?main_page...900e070f9b5e58) I spoke to the guy and he was very helpfull Hope this helps let me know if I can be of any more help. If you want to p.m. me I will let you have my mobile number are you anwhere near Derby.

Hi Harmony

That looks like a very good website, and I think that they would do all the bits I would need at a very good price.

I had a look at the engine last night to have a proper look for a sender unit and could not see one. There was one bolt hole that I wondered if it was the correct place. It is right next to where the oil warning wires attach to the engine. I will try and grab a photo.

If you had any photos of your installation then I would be very interested in seeing it. Where did you connect in the water temp sender?

Also slightly off topic; when I got the boat there was no fuel filter... not one! I have since put a cav filter but had to make up a bracket which I fitted where it should be at the back of the engine next to the air filter. Could you tell me if there are two filters on your engine?

Tim

• 1 year later...

Tim, did you manage to retrofit these gauges in the end?

I've got a Barrus Shire 40 Yanmar 4TNV88D engine with standard panel. I'd like to add temperature and oil pressure senders and gauges in a similar manner to how you describe. There is a spare hole for the additional temperature sender but not for the oil pressure sender; the latter I intend to fit with a y-connector.

From the Barrus Shire manual (below), the parts necessary are:

Oil pressure

• 1/8 - 27 NPTF 5 Bar Sender
  • 1/8 x 1/8 x 1/8 BSP F/F/F Y Connector
  • 1/8 BSP Male/Female

Water temperature

• Water Temperature Sensor (3/8 BSP)

I am a little confused because the above oil pressure arrangement mixes NPTF and BSP, which are not compatible. Barrus say the water temperature sensor is a VDO 3/8 BSP but VDO say they do not make a BSP version. I also can't find out whether the engine block is tapped NPT or BSP. Yanmar manuals indicate PT which could be either.

I'd be pleased if anyone has any useful suggestions on how to proceed?

deluxe_panel.jpg

Tim, did you manage to retrofit these gauges in the end?

I've got a Barrus Shire 40 Yanmar 4TNV88D engine with standard panel. I'd like to add temperature and oil pressure senders and gauges in a similar manner to how you describe. There is a spare hole for the additional temperature sender but not for the oil pressure sender; the latter I intend to fit with a y-connector.

From the Barrus Shire manual (below), the parts necessary are:

Oil pressure

• 1/8 - 27 NPTF 5 Bar Sender
  • 1/8 x 1/8 x 1/8 BSP F/F/F Y Connector
  • 1/8 BSP Male/Female

Water temperature

• Water Temperature Sensor (3/8 BSP)

I am a little confused because the above oil pressure arrangement mixes NPTF and BSP, which are not compatible. Barrus say the water temperature sensor is a VDO 3/8 BSP but VDO say they do not make a BSP version. I also can't find out whether the engine block is tapped NPT or BSP. Yanmar manuals indicate PT which could be either.

I'd be pleased if anyone has any useful suggestions on how to proceed?

deluxe_panel.jpg

I think ASAP supplies (www.asap-supplies.com) do senders that combine a warning lamp terminal and gauge sender and if they do my guess is that they stock common thread sizes. They will also supply a gauge to suit the sender. I am sure about the oil pressure one because someone got one a couple of months ago but I am not sure about a temperature warning lamp/buzzer through.