Isuzu ? HMI ? Canaline ? ENginesplus ??

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I'm always interested when new engines or marinisers appear on the circuit.

However, I'm sure I'm not the only one confused by all the above names.

On the face of it, from their web-site at least, HMI are still supplying marinised Isuzu engines ?

Correct ?

But a new outfit called Enginesplus, apparently based on former HMI staff, are also doing likewise ?

Correct ?

I've taken a look at the latters web-site, but the brochure still shows several of the engines as "awaiting picture", as if they don't exist yet.

So can anybody enlighten as to who is selling what, and, if they both are, what differences one might expect from each ?

Are hire firms still fitting Isuzu base engines, and, if so, where would they be likely to source them from ?

This is not an attempt to inflame any sensibilities - I'm genuinely curious what has gone on, or is going on.

Thanks.

On the face of it, from their web-site at least, HMI are still supplying marinised Isuzu engines ?

Correct ?

But a new outfit called Enginesplus, apparently based on former HMI staff, are also doing likewise ?

Correct ?

I've taken a look at the latters web-site, but the brochure still shows several of the engines as "awaiting picture", as if they don't exist yet.

So can anybody enlighten as to who is selling what, and, if they both are, what differences one might expect from each ?

Are hire firms still fitting Isuzu base engines, and, if so, where would they be likely to source them from ?

This is not an attempt to inflame any sensibilities - I'm genuinely curious what has gone on, or is going on.

Thanks.

As I understand it, although I'm by no means an expert, the situation is as follows:

Bob Cantwell (Manager of Lister Petter's Customer Applications Dept, my old boss when I contracted there for four months), Hedley Beavis and Martyn Harris (both Lister Petter Sales) all decamped to HMI Isuzu to set up the marine division when it was apparent that LP was going to fold.

They built up the marine engine division, appearing at many shows etc, and appeared to be doing well.

HMI decided to move north and, whether they said the marine division was doomed or not I'M not sure, but the three guys decided to stay put and open their own marinising operation, Engines Plus, marinising Sole engines.

I get the impression, but cannot be sure, that HMI aren't interested in marine engines any more.

Roger

Correct ?

Correct ?

Thanks.

Shortly after HMI decamped up north they found it was not economic to produce/sell narrowboat engines, so stopped and put their remaining stock on eBay, to concentrate on more 'industrial engine' markets. Certainly one of the people on a recent reply on this topic is supplying Isuzu engines I know and hopefully will be succesful. Had very positive and helpful dealings with that person in the past and wish him every success. (Can't mention names as it might seem as advertising imo). Have seen one of the engines over the last six weeks or so that he/they have supplied and they are no different to the ones we used to get from the HMI base near Tetbury.

Hire firms are still fitting from new and replacement fitting Isuzu engines.

The difference between the 'old' and 'new' Isuzus is that the new ones are spray painted a lighter blue. There is no difference to the build quality and fittings to the 'old' ones, except the uprated alternators. I would have no hesitation in buying one again. Am an end user only of the engine concerned and other than that have no connection with HMI or associates.