Ash boat poles

Ads

Featured Posts

Im after some Ash boat poles

I know i can get them from chandlers for about £50 a pole but i want to buy at least five and dont really want to pay as much as that each does anyone know any wood merchants that do them?? i cant seem to find any in the south?

Thanks

Ads

I know i can get them from chandlers for about £50 a pole but i want to buy at least five and dont really want to pay as much as that each does anyone know any wood merchants that do them?? i cant seem to find any in the south?

Thanks

Ads

FIVE???? :lol:

What are you going to do with them???

Have you tried bannister rails, probably not Ash but will OK.

Alex

Well i sell painted planks, boat hooks, poles etc when at rallies just want five to stock up.

I also found that hand rails arent fully round or is that just the ones ive seen?

Edited by Ads

Thanks

Ads

£50 - where are you looking?

What length are you after?

I would have thought not fully round ones were more preferable? They don't roll along the roof and end up sitting against the hand rail... it has been known for people to grab their pole instead of the handrail and end up wet!

I would have thought not fully round ones were more preferable? They don't roll along the roof and end up sitting against the hand rail... it has been known for people to grab their pole instead of the handrail and end up wet!

Surely one should store the pole securely in the pole holder

You could try my preferred option, ash pole with banana bend. No rolling at all.

What do they use on punts?

Having just been punting courtesy of Fade to Scarlet (just thought I'd drop that in) I think the one he used was aluminium, though I certainly saw others using wooden ones. However, it's a completely different action and use to what's required of a shaft on a narrow boat.

No one has said it yet so I'll be the first - ash is preferred to pine (which is what the banister rail will be) because it is less likely to split under pressure with the potential to cause injury.

Having just been punting courtesy of Fade to Scarlet (just thought I'd drop that in) I think the one he used was aluminium, though I certainly saw others using wooden ones.

Hi,

Takes me back a bit, I used to go punting at Oxford in the mid 70's, (alas not a student), I used both 'ally' and ash poles, agree the former are better to use and no splinters when you let them slide though your hands.

Which end of the punt did FTS stand, I always though the Cambridge brigade stood on the 'flat end' of the punt and the Oxford chappies on the sloping end. I found this the easier end.

Brings back memories of punting past 'Parson's pleasure' and launching the punts down the rollers round the weir and the mate who died fom Weil's disease following an unexpected dunking.

Not sure how long an 'ally' pole would last on a boat roof before growing legs though or whether the 'Trad peeps' would have one.

Leo

Hi,

Takes me back a bit, I used to go punting at Oxford in the mid 70's, (alas not a student), I used both 'ally' and ash poles, agree the former are better to use and no splinters when you let them slide though your hands.

Which end of the punt did FTS stand, I always though the Cambridge brigade stood on the 'flat end' of the punt and the Oxford chappies on the sloping end. I found this the easier end.

Brings back memories of punting past 'Parson's pleasure' and launching the punts down the rollers round the weir and the mate who died fom Weil's disease following an unexpected dunking.

Not sure how long an 'ally' pole would last on a boat roof before growing legs though or whether the 'Trad peeps' would have one.

Leo

Yes, he stood on the flat end - this was in Cambridge. Here we are: blog link

Which end of the punt did FTS stand, I always though the Cambridge brigade stood on the 'flat end' of the punt and the Oxford chappies on the sloping end.

Correct: standing on the deck is the only sensible place to punt from, and any fule kno. I've always found the wooden poles are better than ally ones: they are denser and sink better, getting to the bottom faster in deep water.

MP.

No one has said it yet so I'll be the first - ash is preferred to pine (which is what the banister rail will be) because it is less likely to split under pressure with the potential to cause injury.

Yes I avoided mentioning it.

It is a matter of personal choice whether you choose to risk the inappropriate properties of a pine bannister rail, over the Ash boat shaft but if you are decorating them for resale then I would definitely stick with the superior (and purpose made) Ash one.

When the bannister rail shears, along its grain, and spears the user, it is their problem, if they knowingly bought a bannister rail, not fit for purpose.

It would be, however, the supplier's problem if they painted them up and sold them on as boat shafts.

Whats a pole used for on a NB?

A pole is used for manoeuvring a boat around in difficult places, or if you don't want to use the engine. If we are winding a boat I'll sometimes pole the bow around

Richard