Ash boat poles

Ads

Featured Posts

I had a couple of 16' shafts from Brinklow a while back, not sure whether there are any at the moment. Also available are inch and a quarter poles, between 8 & 10' long, got cabin shafts and mop handles. Rose had nothing longer than 14' when I enquired last.

Dave

I thought about using new wooden poles but the last ones i used were rubbish and snapped now use custom made ally ones (custom made as there made by me for me) designed that they cant just jump off things the short one is the same with a hook and spike put on.

I thought about using new wooden poles but the last ones i used were rubbish and snapped now use custom made ally ones (custom made as there made by me for me) designed that they cant just jump off things the short one is the same with a hook and spike put on.

I went for aluminium poles 16years ago still got the same two poles, secret is to never use them as a lever after all that's what the plank is for.

Aluminium for me too, both ex punt poles I've had out of the river or off of friends. Lighter, and more tolerant of misuse. And they won't rot, either.

I found one on the bed of the Cam when I was there. bit of a bugger fishing it out with just a boat hook but succeed in the end. Had a piece of oak turned into a knob for one end and whittled a bit of branch to go up the other end when the original wood fell out.

I was told that a decorated pole runs the risk of trapping water underneath the paint and making it weaker, also you won’t be able to see any rotting? I don't know if that’s right but I do have two beautifully painted half poles on top of my boat!

You could be right.

Shortly after buying Billy, I noticed some brown mushroom like stuff growing out of my (painted) pole. I removed it, but when I actually examined the pole this year I found it is virtually a blue paint tube with very little inside.

T.

I like the ash poles i just dont trust them when i do get stuck im normally stuck hard its not very often but its a big pain having a good strong pole that you can and need to garentee will be ok is a big must. If your suddenly in an emergency its no good if you or someone picks up the pole and you have to think or say youll have to be carefull with that its not the best isnt much good.

Im not saying you would but you never know what you may need it for.

Im not saying ash poles are no good i have used them for years before just the last few new ones i used wernt as good as others ive used.

Think dad used ally ones now

When punting (mostly in Oxford 1974-76) we nearly always had wooden poles, ash I presume. On the odd occasion I used an aluminium pole I didn't like it because (1) wood has a nice solid traditional look and feel to it and (2) on a cool day, metal feels cold in the hands because it conducts heat well.

On a narrow boat things are a bit different; reason (1) still applies, but (2) is less important because the pole is only used briefly. Even though the boat weighs far more than a punt, the pole is pretty much the same size, but of course it takes far more pushing to achieve the same movement of the boat. Also, the pole should never be used as a lever against the side of a narrow boat because it will snap; on a punt it's sometimes used as a lever to achieve a sharp turn. I did once see a pole snapped on a punt, when the top got caught behind the rail of a footbridge going downstream on the Cherwell and my friend held on to the lower end, pulling against it while bracing his feet to stop the boat floating away under him. I did warn him that I thought he wasn't going to get the pole back that way, and should just let go then use the paddle to get back to it. There was a loud crack and as I recall the pole was quite splintered, but the sharp ends weren't a danger as they pointed away from us.

When punting (mostly in Oxford 1974-76) we nearly always had wooden poles, ash I presume. On the odd occasion I used an aluminium pole I didn't like it because (1) wood has a nice solid traditional look and feel to it and (2) on a cool day, metal feels cold in the hands because it conducts heat well.

On a narrow boat things are a bit different; reason (1) still applies, but (2) is less important because the pole is only used briefly. Even though the boat weighs far more than a punt, the pole is pretty much the same size, but of course it takes far more pushing to achieve the same movement of the boat. Also, the pole should never be used as a lever against the side of a narrow boat because it will snap; on a punt it's sometimes used as a lever to achieve a sharp turn. I did once see a pole snapped on a punt, when the top got caught behind the rail of a footbridge going downstream on the Cherwell and my friend held on to the lower end, pulling against it while bracing his feet to stop the boat floating away under him. I did warn him that I thought he wasn't going to get the pole back that way, and should just let go then use the paddle to get back to it. There was a loud crack and as I recall the pole was quite splintered, but the sharp ends weren't a danger as they pointed away from us.

Wooden punt poles are usually made of spruce.

First of all Ash is the best timber for a boat shaft because of it's tolerence to bending and impact, that is why it was traditionally used for axe and sledge hammer handles. However the seasoning storage of the timber is equally imoportant, as it the section of the trunk that it has been taken from. The last time I bought one i had about twenty of them out of the rack at the chandlery before i selected the on that was the most suitable.

If you really want a longer pole and cannot find one from the sources previously mentioned, you may need to source some timber from a hardwood yard and then find someon with a Rounder to convert it for you. but it will not be cheap.

Edited by David Schweizer

If you really want a longer pole and cannot find one from the sources previously mentioned, you may need to source some timber from a hardwood yard and then find someon with a Rounder to convert it for you. but it will not be cheap.

I used to work in a school technology dept and my boss had a 3" rounding plane (that he wouldn't sell me) but I have never seen one that big before or since.

I tried to make one once but it was a miserable failure

They are around, I saw one for sale quite recently but they are not cheap. Thinking about it a large Stail Engine (plane) would do a better job, and unlike most rounding planes they are adjustable for the chosen pole diameter.

The alternative is to plane the stock into a roughly octagonal shape, and round it with a large radius hollow moulding plane, Slow to achieve, but possible with patience.

Edited by David Schweizer

Cheap bannister rails should never be used in place of a proper ash boat pole. If an ash pole breaks it is guaranteed to be blunt at the break point. If a cheap pole breaks it can split into dangerously sharp shards that could kill someone.

Actually I can demonstrate that to be wrong. I broke my old ash longshaft the other day and it has split along the grain, leaving a long sharp tang just like I'd expect a banister rail to do.

Actually I can demonstrate that to be wrong. I broke my old ash longshaft the other day and it has split along the grain, leaving a long sharp tang just like I'd expect a banister rail to do.

I find no difference between a straight push on either.

I do not believe in levering either, but If circumstances demand it, I am much more wary of levering using a bannister rail.

George ex nb Alton retired

Mine are both painted to match- and to stop some punter nicking them!

Very wise, all the poles on our bopat were painted as well. It seems that a lot of people do not realise that Ash is not recommended for outdoor use as it degrades without protection, well maintained paint or varnish prevents this degedation.

I wonder how many ash poles that people have reported as having snapped were not protected.

Very wise, all the poles on our bopat were painted as well. It seems that a lot of people do not realise that Ash is not recommended for outdoor use as it degrades without protection, well maintained paint or varnish prevents this degedation.

I wonder how many ash poles that people have reported as having snapped were not protected.

An earlier post in 2010 said the opposite