Ash boat poles

Ads

Featured Posts

Guest wanted

I was told that a decorated pole runs the risk of trapping water underneath the paint and making it weaker, also you won’t be able to see any rotting? I don't know if that’s right but I do have two beautifully painted half poles on top of my boat!

Right. You can keep a sixteen foot bargepole with the fishing rods on your twenty-five foot boat. That should be OK, I think.

Richard

I can keep a 20ft fishing pole strapped to the rails fully extended so a 16ft bargepole should be no problem.

phylis, are you sure you erh hang out on water with NB users??

basically its a finely tuned sensitive manouvering piece of kit -

Costs are @ 45.00 (to buy - not per day as for non ash poles) and significantly cheaper than bow thrusters, can also be used as stern thrusters ( another topic) and for punting your nb, when yr run out of fuel or eatsern europeans that wont pull yr boat along..

As for paiting its a personal thing, but on a clean roof a pole that has gone manky and green dosnt look right to my mind...

I have the shortened version (having snapped it eavering the boat of a sill... still usefull for nuding the boat accross a wide lock if you cant reach the side with a foot.

:lol:

basically its a finely tuned sensitive manouvering piece of kit -

Thats what the engine is for :lol:

Lightweight equivalent for a lightweight boat.

My boat poles have hooks at the end.

Lightweight?

Have you been talking to anyone on E pontoon this week?

Yes I avoided mentioning it.

It is a matter of personal choice whether you choose to risk the inappropriate properties of a pine bannister rail, over the Ash boat shaft but if you are decorating them for resale then I would definitely stick with the superior (and purpose made) Ash one.

When the bannister rail shears, along its grain, and spears the user, it is their problem, if they knowingly bought a bannister rail, not fit for purpose.

It would be, however, the supplier's problem if they painted them up and sold them on as boat shafts.

Thats a good point i dont want injured returns! lol... i normally use ash they are a lot thicker too

Ads

• 6 years later...

Resurrecting this as need a new pole. Was looking for 14ft to replace the existing one but can only seem to find 12ft. I suppose it's not that important to find 14ft but is £40 for 12ft the best deal? (Midland)

The last I knew Rose Narrow Boats at Stretton on the Northern Oxford still had 14 or 15 foot poles available. (I have had two from them in recent times, though one has gone slightly banana shaped, but not enough to impair how it is used).

Or talk to Rex Wain at the (very) nearby Brinklow Boat Services, who in collaboration with Bernard Hales (I think) certainly had some a while back. I don't know about prices, though.

I use one only very rarely, but on the odd occasions I do, a 12 foot pole would seldom be sufficient. They are largely a waste of space, IMO.

Cheap bannister rails should never be used in place of a proper ash boat pole. If an ash pole breaks it is guaranteed to be blunt at the break point. If a cheap pole breaks it can split into dangerously sharp shards that could kill someone.

Cheap bannister rails should never be used in place of a proper ash boat pole. If an ash pole breaks it is guaranteed to be blunt at the break point. If a cheap pole breaks it can split into dangerously sharp shards that could kill someone.

Yes a mate of mine has a hole where the flappy bit of skin should be between thumb and forefinger when a bannister rail split as he was using it as a boat shaft.

Not entirely accurate in my opinion. Its dodgy to say am ash pole is guaranteed to be blunt because it isn't.

Ash poles will still pierce your skin if you are behaving stupidly when they break but they are a little bit less sharp and more difficult to break than pine Bannister rails. I have found broken ash poles in the cut before and they do sometimes break at an angle and provide a sharp point ;)

If you want to do ridiculous things like levering a boat off the mud then use a scaffold plank or a thick wall (1/4") aluminium pole.

The last I knew Rose Narrow Boats at Stretton on the Northern Oxford still had 14 or 15 foot poles available. (I have had two from them in recent times, though one has gone slightly banana shaped, but not enough to impair how it is used).

Or talk to Rex Wain at the (very) nearby Brinklow Boat Services, who in collaboration with Bernard Hales (I think) certainly had some a while back. I don't know about prices, though.

I use one only very rarely, but on the odd occasions I do, a 12 foot pole would seldom be sufficient. They are largely a waste of space, IMO

Rarely use it but when I do I would not be without it - usually for getting out of trouble.