Possible topics on which FAQ's could be created.

Featured Posts

I thought i would start a list of Topics that could be added to the FAQ section.

- If you come up with a suggestion but do not have time to write and thread on it for the FAQ section feel free to add it.

- Conversely, if your at a loose end, or have compile some info on a topic for your own use, why not contruct an FAQ thread.

- For more information about what and FAQ is or what should be put into one, please see this thread below. LINKYDINK

- The aim is not to have 100's of threads, but a selection of threads coving partiuarly common topics, in a way that is accessable to someone not familiar with the area.

Suggested topics

Painting Steel/Integral water tanks. (methods, paints, photos of work)
    Core anatomy of a Narrowboat/Cruiser/etc. (prop/rudder/bow through to uxter plate)
    Renaming a boat (traditions/superstitions/current common practice)
    Toilet options (pumpout/portapoti/vacuflushcassette)
    Basics of installing a stove (suitable surrounds, attachment, flue setup)
    Annuall Engine Service (engineoil/filter/gearbox)
    Sterntube glands (refilling greaser, replacing packing)
    Mooring, use of springs, pilling hookes, double staking, etc also see here and here

Topics we already have:

Replacing Batteries (when to, and can you mix old and new, etc)
    Liverpool Canal Link (navigational reqments)
    Lighting your fire (basic stove operation)
    BCN Moorings (moorings in the largest city on the network)
    Am I sinking? (guide to dealing with wet bidges)
    Preventing Condensation (quite to dealing with)
    Calorifiers and Morcos (hotwater options)
    Webasto servicing (deisal heater basics)
    Tying the knot (basic ropework)
    Buying Suitable Rope or Ropes (self explanitary)
    Battery Charging Routine Basics (ditto)
    24v Electrics on Boats (why, pro/cons of 12v)
    Winterising a boat (basic guide to)
    First time owner - Inverter question (basic guide to inverters)

Daniel

Just a suggestion, .....(and bearing in mind that not everyone finds the 'search' facility easy to use)

How about a relatively straightforward A - Z of FAQ 'top level' topics e.g.

(quickly, off top of head...)

Anodes

Batteries

Bilges

Design

Electrics

Engines

Fitout

Gas

etc.

etc.

etc.

Stoves

Toilets

Water

Welding

Windows

• 2 weeks later...
I like the idea of advice on BCN moorings and think we could have some others, particularly for the larger urban areas.

I like the BCN moorings idea too. There used to be a leaflet from the BCN society but it's now out of date and out of print. It would be useful to encourage more users especially of the Northern BCN

Richard

...and think we could have some others, particularly for the larger urban areas.

Yes this is certainly possible.

- Clearly i think its fairly safe to say the BCN is the largest by far, and has the most millage of canal, but others are welcome

- The best thing is to start one in the 'general boating' area or similar, and assuming content is forthcoming, submit a report requesting it be made an FAQ.

Daniel

I like the BCN moorings idea too. There used to be a leaflet from the BCN society but it's now out of date and out of print. It would be useful to encourage more users especially of the Northern BCN
There is a BCN moorings FAQ, which can be found here: http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=24886

Daniel

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

First post.

As a "first-time" project builder I have been searching aplenty for information to help enable me to "get it right first time", but I appear to have found a massive void in many subject details. I am hoping now that by registering as a "proper member" I may be able to access the kind of info I'm still lacking.

I currently have what seems to be originally a butty, now with the complete cabin-that-was removed as it was substandard. As I have "everything" to do just to get to the basic "sail away" stage, I would really like to see a separate CONSTRUCTION section covering stern gear fitting out (initial not replacement), engine installation and alignment, cabin construction etc as a first-time install from shell.

First post.

As a "first-time" project builder I have been searching aplenty for information to help enable me to "get it right first time", but I appear to have found a massive void in many subject details. I am hoping now that by registering as a "proper member" I may be able to access the kind of info I'm still lacking.

I currently have what seems to be originally a butty, now with the complete cabin-that-was removed as it was substandard. As I have "everything" to do just to get to the basic "sail away" stage, I would really like to see a separate CONSTRUCTION section covering stern gear fitting out (initial not replacement), engine installation and alignment, cabin construction etc as a first-time install from shell.

There is a boat building and maintenance section.

Thank you Paul, that's ONE of the places that I've searched through and found it contains mostly stuff that would come later on in the build. I've been hunting around for a few months now, trying to research the "beginnings" of a nb build. I'm talking about the cabin framework ribs/stiffeners (gauges, spacing), original install of fittings like engine/g-box and stern-gear type of thing. I have a lot to do and I would really like to have a go at whatever I can be capable of doing myself. I am a greatful receiver of good advice, however I find that by entrusting others to actually "do the doing" it's very often a compromise with what THEY decide on what should be done (for profit OR other reasons).

Thank you Paul, that's ONE of the places that I've searched through and found it contains mostly stuff that would come later on in the build. I've been hunting around for a few months now, trying to research the "beginnings" of a nb build. I'm talking about the cabin framework ribs/stiffeners (gauges, spacing), original install of fittings like engine/g-box and stern-gear type of thing. I have a lot to do and I would really like to have a go at whatever I can be capable of doing myself. I am a greatful receiver of good advice, however I find that by entrusting others to actually "do the doing" it's very often a compromise with what THEY decide on what should be done (for profit OR other reasons).

I don't think its a technical issue with the way the forum is laid out though. The information you need, isn't necessarily already "out there". It may very well be that there's members on the forum who know the kind of things you mention, and are prepared to post and share that knowledge. But nobody can pre-empt what you need to know, you'd need to ask a question (in the right section).

That's a fair comment Paul, point taken. Does the forums contain an "ESP section" ? (meant in jest I might add). I'll have to consider starting my own threads perhaps, asking for details more specific to what I mean. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

First post.

Sometimes you can get a better result doing a google search on the forum, there's a link in my sig below vvv

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I'm talking about the cabin framework ribs/stiffeners (gauges, spacing), original install of fittings like engine/g-box and stern-gear type of thing. I have a lot to do and I would really like to have a go at whatever I can be capable of doing myself.

I think you'll find little detail of most of that since it is normally done by a shell builder rather than a self fitter-outer.

How to post a photo/video.

There is a pinned thread but it needs updating, especially as some of the web sites like Flickr change their menus. Also using a tablet/smartphone is different to a normal PC.

keble, on 30 Mar 2014 - 08:39 AM, said:

How to post a photo/video.

There is a pinned thread but it needs updating, especially as some of the web sites like Flickr change their menus. Also using a tablet/smartphone is different to a normal PC.

That thread was to specifically show how to upload using Photobucket which is one of the most commonly used photo hosting web sites. Although the layout on Photobucket has changed slightly the basics are still much the same.

There are so many photo hosting sites I am not sure it would be reasonable to expect a tutorial for each and every site - you can actually still use the Photobucket tutorial to work out how to post pictures using other sites. If a tutorial for each and every site was produced the problem then would be keeping each and every tutorial up to date as they do as you say alter things from time to time. One video tutorial I produced a while ago once became completely outdated overnight when the Photobucket site was completely changed, so much so I asked the mods on here to delete it as it would only serve to baffle people. I do check the PB site from time to time to see if anything drastic has changed again with a view to getting the mods to delete or 'unpin' the thread in question and me to update it if needed.

That particular tutorial took around 3 hours to produce from memory (including some 'user testing' and resulting adjustments before it was posted) so it would I think be extremely time consuming for some one to keep on top of multiple ones.

For phones and tablets - yes these often use apps. to upload pictures and again they alter them from time to time too making it a logistical nightmare to keep any tutorials up to date, again I don't think that is reasonable.

Posting pictures relies on the basic method of posting the 'IMG code' into the forum, it really is very very simple, no matter what you use or where the picture is hosted that basic principal is the same throughout - once you understand how that bit of the process works you can work out how to post pictures from just about anywhere.

Posting pictures relies on the basic method of posting the 'IMG code' into the forum, it really is very very simple, no matter what you use or where the picture is hosted that basic principal is the same throughout - once you understand how that bit of the process works you can work out how to post pictures from just about anywhere.

So maybe that's what the FAQ should describe?

I for one found your video very useful. When I retire (10 months to go!) I might find time to do more on this kind of thing ...