What must every boat have?

Mick and Maggie

Featured Posts

We are about to take delivery of a new (to us) narrow boat. Everyone has at some time gone camping and forgotten their tin opener, or purchased a bottle of wine and then can't find the cork screw. So I thought I should create a checklist of essential items for the boat. I suppose I should categorise these as mandatory items, safety items and day to day living items. there may be other categories that you might want to suggest.

Suggestions (acceptable ones anyway) most welcome.

Regards

Mick & Mags

A torch (a head torch leaves hands free), a basic toolkit even if you're not diy, and some spares - fan belt, hoses, filters etc. I also have a box of handy bits - bulbs, jubilee clips, fuses, bits of electric string, crimp connectors, gaffer tape, various screws (pozidrive), wire, and odd bits that look like they might come in handy.

And a Seasearcher magnet which has already paid for itself by retrieving windlasses that have dropped in the water.

Rechargeable batteries and charger (which works on 12v) because otherwise the head torch will always have flat batteries when you want to use it. A hand pump (in our case to reach the bits in the bilge that the bilge pump doesn't).

A clear plastic ziplock wallet for your map.

Hedge clippers for overgrown towpath pruning.

A BW key

More than one BW & handcuff key, just incase. We have no idea at all where our other handcuff key has gone. Windlasses - need a spare? Go fishing with a Seasearcher in a lock, I think we've got 5.

A long throw windlass is a good idea as well, I did use it quite a bit on our trip up North.

Dry ingredients (like rice and pasta) in sealable containers, plus tinned stuff. Both of 'em keep forever.

Spare mooring line - you can never have too much rope.

Tony

Edited by WotEver

Plank, pole, boathook, lifebelt(s).

One of those triangular plastic grommets wot opens the diesel and water filler caps.

Folding frame with little wheels, meant for suitcases but ideal for taking your porta-potti to far-off sanny stations.

It would make this thread thread an easier read if you could give some consideration to all your worthwhile suggestions and then put them in a single post.

OOOOOOOOO00000000OOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Every boat needs some water to put it in.

More than one BW & handcuff key, just incase. We have no idea at all where our other handcuff key has gone. Windlasses - need a spare? Go fishing with a Seasearcher in a lock, I think we've got 5.

Memsahib: 'Do we really need eleven windlasses on board?

Me: 'What use are they at home?'

But in the same vein, spare 'red' isolator key and padlock keys as appropriate.