Demolition of Canal Stables at Burscough

MartinClark

Featured Posts

I have published BW's justification for the demolition of one of the historic boathorse stable blocks at Burscough, Leeds and Liverpool Canal. See http://waterwaynews.blogspot.com/

Comments on this or on the earlier report about the demolition are welcome.

Being in the north, this loss of waterway heritage has not aroused the same degree of interest and passion as the recent example at Marsworth!

The main concern shown on this forum is about the temporary closure of the boaters' facilities at the site.

Being in the north, this loss of waterway heritage has not aroused the same degree of interest and passion as the recent example at Marsworth!

The main concern shown on this forum is about the temporary closure of the boaters' facilities at the site.

I felt that the main objection to the Marsworth proposal was the loss of facilities, rather than the historical importance of the site, too.

Then again, after the discussion about the maximum width of waterways, yesterday, I do agree with you about the lack of interest in the Northern waterways.

Show me an old, unrestored building that hasn't got signs of timber infestation and brickwork movement! 'Consultants' can always find an excuse - sorry 'justification' for demolishing an old building even though the real evidence is that, despite being allowed to slide into disrepair they have actually proved solid enough to still be standing. I wonder how many modern buildings we will be able to say that about in a hundred years time.

It seems to me, from reading the articles and looking at the photographs, that they would have been better sticking to the economic arguments - timber infestation and cracks are to be expected and can be dealt with easily and using these arguments just makes them look shifty!

As far as I can see this planning application went through the normal democratic process, and local elected members decided that this was the best solution for local people for a derelict set of buildings. "Out of area" objections carry little weight. "Listing" would have been the only way to overcome local democracy.

If we do not want this to happen again then it is up to the public to go for Listed Building applications.

On this site the concern now needs to be for the future. We should not forget that inclusion of a building or facility in a planning application does not mean that it will be actually provided. In the present economic climate very few developments are being fully completed, with either the developer going out of business or lacking bank funding. If the developer does not provide boating facilities I can see little, if any, chance of the local planning authority being able to enforce it. The correct solution here would have been for BW to include a condition in the sale or to have reserved space in their ownership for the provision of the facilities.

I am aware that this posting will no doubt attract some "comment".

As far as I can see this planning application went through the normal democratic process, and local elected members decided that this was the best solution for local people for a derelict set of buildings. "Out of area" objections carry little weight. "Listing" would have been the only way to overcome local democracy.

If we do not want this to happen again then it is up to the public to go for Listed Building applications.

On this site the concern now needs to be for the future. We should not forget that inclusion of a building or facility in a planning application does not mean that it will be actually provided. In the present economic climate very few developments are being fully completed, with either the developer going out of business or lacking bank funding. If the developer does not provide boating facilities I can see little, if any, chance of the local planning authority being able to enforce it. The correct solution here would have been for BW to include a condition in the sale or to have reserved space in their ownership for the provision of the facilities.

I am aware that this posting will no doubt attract some "comment".

Well my comment is that I agree with your point of view (I am new here though!).

Perhaps we should have an "at risk" section where these situations can be highlighted and possible listing applied for before decisions such as this are made?

• 1 month later...
On this site the concern now needs to be for the future.

Judging from Burscough Wharf it seems that perhaps we should not be so concerned (the informative web site is worth looking at for the quality of the photography).

Progress with the work on site is being made and the discovery of the well should add interest to the site. It is impressive that 20 of the 23 units are now pre-let.

A report in the local paper can be found here.

Empty retail space in burscough already since tesco opened so if existing space is a struggle to let long term .

We asked 5 years ago about buying the property and were told it was unavailable , maybe only available to people who could somehow make the project generate millions of pounds worth of refurbishing , are bw in a partnership witrh the developers? Where or who is providing these millions of pounds for refurbishment , the site is small and i cant see what they are going to do that will cost so much money.

Hillmorton is half empty although in good nick. The cottage at Norton Junc was refused planning permission even though the planning officer was 'mindful to give permission'. The buildings at Middlewich are under offer but I don't know what is planned. I suspect demolition but I am not here long enough to find out. A new modern canal scene is prefered perhaps?

Sue

As an aside, has anyone tried looking at the property for sale on Waterscape?

There is very little information provided, except for links to the websites of estate agents where 'further details can be obtained'.

However what I've generally found is that the links just take you to the estate agent's home page. You've got so little information to enter into their search engines that it's impossible to then search for the property you were looking for details of in the first place. For example, BW very often only list an address, so you don't even know whether the property for sale is domestic or for business use. In addition the canal place name and the village the estate agents associate the property with can be different.

Just to test the system, I phoned up and e-mailed a few estate agents asking for details of BW canalside properties. Most of the time it transpired that either the property was already unavailable (sold or under offer), or they just never replied.

How does BW expect to make money when it's impossible to obtain details of what's for sale?

And is it just me or are these buildings made hard to find so that those in the know (developers or BW insiders) can pick them off without any competition?

As an aside, has anyone tried looking at the property for sale on Waterscape?

There is very little information provided, except for links to the websites of estate agents where 'further details can be obtained'.

However what I've generally found is that the links just take you to the estate agent's home page. You've got so little information to enter into their search engines that it's impossible to then search for the property you were looking for details of in the first place. For example, BW very often only list an address, so you don't even know whether the property for sale is domestic or for business use. In addition the canal place name and the village the estate agents associate the property with can be different.

Just to test the system, I phoned up and e-mailed a few estate agents asking for details of BW canalside properties. Most of the time it transpired that either the property was already unavailable (sold or under offer), or they just never replied.

How does BW expect to make money when it's impossible to obtain details of what's for sale?

And is it just me or are these buildings made hard to find so that those in the know (developers or BW insiders) can pick them off without any competition?

I think you have to be on the inside for sure , another canalside property owned by bw was put up for auction twice and withdrawn with the excuse that the council may get a better price for bw from developers and 4 years later it is still unsold as far as i know , bw,s property arm are next to useless or pretend to be when joe public enquires about property , i had to furnish them with land registry documents before they would even admit they had title to the land.

I asked them several times about Napton Lock Cottage over a period of a couple of years earlier this century. I generally was told that someone would ring me back or write, which they didn't. Finally I got through to someone a bit more senior who told me that BW had decided not to sell it. Last time we went through Napton, last year, there it was, sold and privately occupied. the couple who are there appear to be renovating it nicely, which will enhance its appeal but also its value. If it ever comes on the market again we shan't be able to afford it.

Judging from Burscough Wharf it seems that perhaps we should not be so concerned (the informative web site is worth looking at for the quality of the photography).

Progress with the work on site is being made and the discovery of the well should add interest to the site. It is impressive that 20 of the 23 units are now pre-let.

A report in the local paper can be found here.

As an aside I see that the Burscough Boat Company is planning a chandlers shop in the development - their main site is on an industrial estate fairly close by. Does anybody know anything about them? As comparatively a local I've never heard of them but I saw an ad in Canal Boat this month for them and they are going to Crick. They say that have craftsmen with 25 years boat building experience.

• 7 months later...

Update:

Multi-million pound Burscough Wharf project will open in the New Year

Dec 16 2010 Ormskirk Advertiser

13227046.jpg

THE OPENING of a new multi-million pound development at Burscough Wharf has been delayed. The project is now in the final stages and the scheme manager hoped that it would be in time for Christmas but utilities, including electricity, are waiting to be installed at the site. The Wharf will now open at the end of January with an official launch on Valentine’s weekend.

Renovation work is nearly complete, with the original wharf building being demolished and a new three storey building constructed in its place while the other buildings have been refurbished. Around 20 businesses have signed up for a space in the centre and there are only a small amount of units available. Among them are a hair salon, a traditional sweet shop, a 100-cover restaurant, a chandlers, a bistro and coffee bar, a traditional tea room plus Lancashire Arts and Crafts Guild and Burscough Moving Forward’s community theatre/cinema and function room.

Project manager Nick Eckersley of Hurlston Brook said: “Unfortunately, it’s taken longer then expected to have the electricity hooked up. “But we planning to open at the end of January with a big celebration and launch at the beginning of February.” The multi-million pound project is all part of a scheme to bring regeneration into Burscough.

Roger Bell of Burscough Moving Forward said: “A major goal is to create an environment where the people of Burscough can come together and enjoy being part of the community, with access to quality entertainment, shopping and dining without having to travel. “We also want to celebrate our heritage by seeing the canal as an essential part of the development.”

For more information visit www.burscough-wharf.co.uk

• 4 weeks later...

Went to have a look today , united utilities , electicity suppliers and any other number of contractors outside trying to get in or out , all in each others way so nothing much looked to be getting done ,yard and entrance a mudbath ,contractors discussing if they should make an attempt to push vehichle onto site through the mud , shambles so dont expect grand opening this week or month.