This seems a little steep

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

This one wasn't and it's mine, all mine when I've promised my only-born to BW's dark heart and actually paid for it!

Mooring

Looks like we're off to Cheshire for the foreseeable future. Such a relief although the prospect of either 8 or 24 locks up and down for water is not so exciting unless I learn to go down a lock backwards!

Edited by wrigglefingers

BW mooring

4k the current bid, for a mooring that is little more than a pair of mooring rings. Its currently at twice the guide price!!!!!

Yeah wow. I think I'd have given up on the bidding long ago and hoped for a different option to present itself. That's not far off the mooring prices of Chelsea!

This one wasn't and it's mine, all mine when I've promised my only-born to BW's dark heart and actually paid for it!

Mooring

Looks like we're off to Cheshire for the foreseeable future. Such a relief although the prospect of either 8 or 24 locks up and down for water is not so exciting unless I learn to go down a lock backwards!

"Squeezy" eh ? :lol:

I can't quite believe how many moorings are making no more than "reserve" at the moment.

I can't quite believe how many moorings are making no more than "reserve" at the moment.

They are probably offset by the odd well over the mark one.

How can a mooring go for more than twice the guide price, madness.

BW mooring

4k the current bid, for a mooring that is little more than a pair of mooring rings. Its currently at twice the guide price!!!!!

I really don't understand the attractions of the Marsworth Towpath moorings.

It's a nice enough spot, 3 good pubs, but the tow-path is unserviced, often muddy, and there is no parking. Water/rubbish/Elsan are nearby, but only if BW don't move them as part of redeveloping that yard - they were going to "move", if indeed new facility ever happened.

OK it's a 70 foot mooring, and one here before made £6K under the closed "tender" system.

Considering a forum member just got a fully serviced BW mooring just up the cut recently for not much over a third of the price of this one, I really don't get it. OK this is a 70 foot, and the other one only 50, but that has metered electric, water, Elsan, rubbish and parking all on site.

Each to their own, I suppose!

Furthermore.....

Someone recently got this......

70 foot Towpath Mooring - Fenny Stratford

for just the reserve of £1504

It, (or a similar one) had previously failed to let at all.

Not that far from maffers to Fenny, so is one really worth £4K when another is only worth £1.5K.

Still don't get it!

In agreement with Leonie here but I have a feeling that Markymark might just be at the end of his bidding activities and probably happy to desist now though.

I was faced with the same situation at Kinver where the bidding for a 22m berth looked like it was going stellar a few weeks ago. I thought that with three people bidding it was likely to go through the roof and although it didn't in the end and went for only 30 quid more than my maximum. It was upsetting to let it go but was the right decision in the end I think otherwise I could've been paying a great deal more. There will always be an alternative if you keep the rational hat on your head. the mooring at Audlem is just as good as the one at Kinver; they both have their advantages and disadvantages but both are in lovely villages, well-connected for other places both by cut and by road. No mooring is ever perfect and although I miss the berth at BoA, in truth we were getting a little bored by the limited cruising area. It'll be great to explore Shropshire and Cheshire by boat, I shall be closer to Ellen and with any luck, I might just find a job now I know where I'm going to be.

Wriggly aka Squeezy

I believe BW will be rubbing their hands together when the next one becomes avaliable

Not necessarily. Two bidders is all you need to see this outcome. Next time a mooring comes available it might make less than guide price if there is only the one interested party.

BW mooring

Hi P,

Interesting - but seems a bargain as someone paid £6000 for a similar length mooring on this stretch about 18 months ago. Could be they have secured this one and will give up their expensive one.

For this kind of money I would almost consider moving to Cowroast Marina where at least you get a modicum of services.

Leo.

Considering a forum member just got a fully serviced BW mooring just up the cut recently for not much over a third of the price of this one, I really don't get it. OK this is a 70 foot, and the other one only 50, but that has metered electric, water, Elsan, rubbish and parking all on site.

I wonder what would have happened if you and I were bidding in open auction for Cooks Wharf last year? I suspect a different result would have occurred.

I really don't understand the attractions of the Marsworth Towpath moorings.

It's a nice enough spot, 3 good pubs, but the tow-path is unserviced, often muddy, and there is no parking. Water/rubbish/Elsan are nearby, but only if BW don't move them as part of redeveloping that yard - they were going to "move", if indeed new facility ever happened.

OK it's a 70 foot mooring, and one here before made £6K under the closed "tender" system.

Each to their own, I suppose!

Furthermore.....

Someone recently got this......

70 foot Towpath Mooring - Fenny Stratford

for just the reserve of £1504

It, (or a similar one) had previously failed to let at all.

Not that far from maffers to Fenny, so is one really worth £4K when another is only worth £1.5K.

Still don't get it!

Is this not a price-fixing scam of some sort, organised by a marina or something?

Or perhaps a way of discouraging people from the area in anticipation of new housing being built followed by people moaning because there are boats in the view from the window of their nice new canalside homes :lol:

Is this not a price-fixing scam of some sort, organised by a marina or something?

Or perhaps a way of discouraging people from the area in anticipation of new housing being built followed by people moaning because there are boats in the view from the window of their nice new canalside homes :lol:

It's possible, I suppose, that BW, (or more accurately it's house building consortium with other parties), is actually the winning bidder on each new Marsworth towpath mooring that becomes vacant, (at any cost).

Perhaps they will keep a work-boat on each, displaced from the working wharf they wish to get rid of ?

Once all spaces on the current long term moorings are unoccupied, (or only have BW maintenance boats on them), most objections to removing boater facilities at that site will not happen next time around ?

Or perhaps not...

It's possible, I suppose, that BW, (or more accurately it's house building consortium with other parties), is actually the winning bidder on each new Marsworth towpath mooring that becomes vacant, (at any cost).

Perhaps they will keep a work-boat on each, displaced from the working wharf they wish to get rid of ?

Once all spaces on the current long term moorings are unoccupied, (or only have BW maintenance boats on them), most objections to removing boater facilities at that site will not happen next time around ?

Or perhaps not...

Not that you'd ever be called a cynic, though Alan? :lol:

By the way, your description as "Long Standing Member" - wouldn't that currently be better phrased "Used to stand for long periods but now has to do a lot of sitting member"?

Hope you're improving well :lol:

edited cos I carnt spel

Tony

Edited by WotEver

Or perhaps not...

I had thought before when the Maffers mooring went for silly money that perhaps a marina owner was artificially restricting the supply of moorings. One online mooring goes for £6k a year means that they are obviously desirable and would be an excuse to raise marina mooring prices as well as restricting availability of competing moorings. It works mathematically if the marina has 60 moorings they just need to increase the yearly rate by £101 and they are in profit, and they'd also have an online mooring available which may be 'worth' something in the long term.

It smells a little bit like privatisation by stealth.

I had thought before when the Maffers mooring went for silly money that perhaps a marina owner was artificially restricting the supply of moorings. One online mooring goes for £6k a year means that they are obviously desirable and would be an excuse to raise marina mooring prices as well as restricting availability of competing moorings. It works mathematically if the marina has 60 moorings they just need to increase the yearly rate by £101 and they are in profit, and they'd also have an online mooring available which may be 'worth' something in the long term.

It smells a little bit like privatisation by stealth.

Yes,

I've heard the theory.

But nearest marina is of course Cow Roast, and, so far as I can see after a number of recent departures, they are struggling to stay completely full for the first time I can remember......

From this site....

Cow Roast Marina Moorings Link

Leisure Moorings for any size up to and including 50' narrowboats are available now, please phone 01442 823222 to enquire. Or fill in the enquiry form via the link on this page. Updated 12/3/2010.

Strange then that from what we have heard since leaving that they both decided to hike rates again this year, but also (allegedly!), to apply an additional surcharge for those they decide to call "heavy users", (whatever that is).

I guess each private operator is free to set their own terms and conditions, but I would have thought pricing marina berths at a rate where you generally had few vacancies would usually be, if not the absolute best revenue generator, at least a way of trying to stop more of your captive audience from leaving.

Cow Roast is not a bad marina, (in fact it is a very nice setting), but facilities do not match more modern ones, and they always seem to have relied mostly upon location, and that there is not much competition - perhaps not a good strategy when new ones like Grove are opening around now.

Still can't explain the attraction of Marsworth, although sometimes it's the 70 foot berths that are bonkers - I'm guessing the marina struggles to offer enough of those.