Narrowboats and wide boats rediscovered at Harefield - the facts

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Has this thread fizzled out or is this topic being discussed elsewhere?

Just wondered if there is any further current info available, e.g. proposed plans for the site, updates to the list of vessels in the pit, etc.

Had a nosey around there a couple of weeks ago. Everywhere is very overgrown. "Mavis" is still in existence and to the south of her, close to the bank, but under water, are the remains of what I believe to be "Alberta" and "Rose of Tyburn". Please correct me if I'm wrong on the names.

Look forward to hearing any news of updates.

Best regards.

I am sorry I don't have more information. I was worried that the person or people who had her after me had never registered, and my name might still be down as owner. If that had been the case I could not have left her sunk at Charity, but as it is I can't do anything about it. Very sad, especially knowing what a pretty boat she was.

Hi Lis

I did quite a bit of work on Electra and was about to start rebuilding the back cabin when her owner suddenly decided to remove her from my moorings and headed off to Charity saying I would have to travel to there to continue working on her which I wasn't prepared to do.

Ironically the gearbox failed and she was left to sink at Hillmorton and the owner got me to refloat her and arrange a tow to Bedworth despite me trying to persuade him to let me take her back to Wolfhampcote where she could be worked on and cared for.

As it is she rapidly deteriorated at Charity and bits disappeared from her before she sank permanently.

I am fairly sure ownership has now passed to Charity Dock as the previous owner has shown no interest in her for many years now.

Sorry about the thread hijack folks...normal service can now resume.

Hi all,

Has this thread fizzled out or is this topic being discussed elsewhere?

Just wondered if there is any further current info available, e.g. proposed plans for the site, updates to the list of vessels in the pit, etc.

Had a nosey around there a couple of weeks ago. Everywhere is very overgrown. "Mavis" is still in existence and to the south of her, close to the bank, but under water, are the remains of what I believe to be "Alberta" and "Rose of Tyburn". Please correct me if I'm wrong on the names.

Look forward to hearing any news of updates.

Best regards.

We're moored at the Marina. Went to have a look in the summer but could'nt get anywhere near to the water due to heavy undergrowth. Are these hulls at the northern point of what I understand is called the flash? We entered the area from the footpath that leaves Moorhall rd just a few yards up from the marina entrance. Edited by Markinaboat

I went and had a look a few years ago. I did see a tee stud sticking out the water and other relics but the boats are completely submerged.

Not 100% sure but I think it was here

https://goo.gl/maps/jz8aa6sc6o52

Probably depends on water level. There is a wrecked widebeam hull out of the water - if you can find that you are in the right location.

As Laurence Hogg is so interested in these vessels I imagine he probably will have recorded a GPS location so would be able to confirm if I am right.

Edited by magnetman

Click this bing maps link, zoom in spin it round so you are looking towards the canal and the widebeam wreck should show up beside the blue location ball. I'm using a phone so it may show slightly different on a pooter.

edit to remove incorrect link

Edited by magnetman

I went and had a look a few years ago. I did see a tee stud sticking out the water and other relics but the boats are completely submerged.

Not 100% sure but I think it was here

https://goo.gl/maps/jz8aa6sc6o52

Probably depends on water level. There is a wrecked widebeam hull out of the water - if you can find that you are in the right location.

As Laurence Hogg is so interested in these vessels I imagine he probably will have recorded a GPS location so would be able to confirm if I am right.

Your position shown is in the lake immediately south of Hawtreys pit, its the water next door you want to see.

Click this bing maps link, zoom in spin it round so you are looking towards the canal and the widebeam wreck should show up beside the blue location ball. I'm using a phone so it may show slightly different on a pooter.

https://www.bing.com/maps/?q=51%C2%B034%2707.5%22N+0%C2%B028%2741.6%22W&cp=51.56873044067217%7E-0.478197241219791

Doesn't work in our office.

There are maps and plans of where the boats are in the main thread.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

This is completely the wron place it is north of here with an entrance of Moorhall Rd. next to Musk marine.

Boat plan, Narrow boats are green, Wide boats in blue.

gallery_5000_522_147258.jpg

Ill only nick 1 bit of gold if i got the chance. In some ways i wish at least 1 or 2 were saved from here just to prove prove a its possable and b the history of recovering them and what a story to be told.

Just to add an update here.

The site is now very untended and all bodies involved with any type of recovery have gone very quiet. Bear in mind a large proportion of the craft (inc Tring) are buried not sunk now. Although this is the case I suspect many are in good condition still and the odd bits inspected tend to enforce this. This is a public are within the local authority parks and sadly accessible to vandals who have damaged the wide boat hull on dry land extensively. Both Mark and myself feel there is no hope of seeing any recovery at the moment so I would urge anyone who thinks they can do something to approach Hillingdon council.

gallery_5000_522_61846.jpg

gallery_5000_522_121121.jpg

To answer the most obvious question on everyones mind - what is there?

The following craft are identifiable and their probable / definite locations are known, this is derived from written BTC evidence, photos and examination of the site:

Fellows, Morton & Clayton iron horse boats:
Yardley
Upwood
Jersey
Penkridge
Amesbury
Tring (former Turkey)
Pretoria
Natal
Yeading
Keswick
Iver

Wooden horse boats:
Ida
Ena
Dee
Fay
Gladys
Dorset

Wooden Motor boat:
Erica

A H Taylor horse boat:
Daisy

L B Faulkner Horse boat:
Maude

Warickshore Canal carrying Co motor boat:
Calder

Thos Clayton (Paddington) wooden wide boats:
Jill
David
Trixie
Forget me not
Mavis
Edythe

The following are known to be on the site but location is not known:

Associated Canal Carriers (Royalty class)(GUCCCo) buttys:
Adelaide
Albert
Alexandra
Countess

Thos Clayton (Paddington) wide boats
Alberta
Rose of Tyburn

Warickshire Canal Carrying Co:
MB The King

Henry Boyer wide boats:
4 iron, 1 steel names not known.

BCN Joey
BCN !7928 open iron boat

Grand Union Canal Co
Composite Mud hopper

All these are probably still there buried under a small amount of spoil, the largest cache of recoverable historic narrowboats known about:

gallery_5000_522_28623.jpg

We're moored at the Marina. Went to have a look in the summer but could'nt get anywhere near to the water due to heavy undergrowth. Are these hulls at the northern point of what I understand is called the flash? We entered the area from the footpath that leaves Moorhall rd just a few yards up from the marina entrance.

you were in the right place, did you see the one on the bank? Also have you seen the one underneath one of your neighbours about 10 boats up from you in the marina!? (Probably the quickest reply you've ever had from me!)

Just to add an update here.

The site is now very untended and all bodies involved with any type of recovery have gone very quiet. Bear in mind a large proportion of the craft (inc Tring) are buried not sunk now. Although this is the case I suspect many are in good condition still and the odd bits inspected tend to enforce this. This is a public are within the local authority parks and sadly accessible to vandals who have damaged the wide boat hull on dry land extensively. Both Mark and myself feel there is no hope of seeing any recovery at the moment so I would urge anyone who thinks they can do something to approach Hillingdon council.

Are you sure that the wreck on the bank is a widebeam? We thought it was a spread narrowboat.

you were in the right place, did you see the one on the bank? Also have you seen the one underneath one of your neighbours about 10 boats up from you in the marina!? (Probably the quickest reply you've ever had from me!)

Are you sure that the wreck on the bank is a widebeam? We thought it was a spread narrowboat.

Am in the Yukon, Canada at the moment Sarah but will definitely spend an afternoon mooching around when I get back. This is a virtual museum! Maybe the Heritage Lottery Fund coukd assist?

There was a short presentation about HS2 at the London Waterways Forum on Wednesday evening. Someone suggested that the spoil from the tunnel coming out of London -might- be dumped at Harefield. No idea if this is true but if so it could put the Hawtreys pit site in danger

There is going to be a massive rail viaduct near there as well.

A very spread boat!

123%20Harefield%20Pit%20Abandoned%20Boat

107%20Harefield%20Pit%20Abandoned%20Boat

Tim

There was a short presentation about HS2 at the London Waterways Forum on Wednesday evening. Someone suggested that the spoil from the tunnel coming out of London -might- be dumped at Harefield. No idea if this is true but if so it could put the Hawtreys pit site in danger

There is going to be a massive rail viaduct near there as well.

The spoil dumps at Harefield are planned away from the houses on the other side of Moorhall Road, well away from Hawtreys. The viaduct would ruin the marina and close the sailing base (HOAC) but shouldn't affect the sunk boats unless there are some in HOAC (pit 2?)

A very spread boat!

123%20Harefield%20Pit%20Abandoned%20Boat

107%20Harefield%20Pit%20Abandoned%20Boat

Tim

Its spread quite a bit over the last 15 years. Its deteriorated a lot in that time and i think has been partly burnt, which is no surprise, they even burnt the park benches soon after they went in! Has anyone measured the bottom?

Am in the Yukon, Canada at the moment Sarah but will definitely spend an afternoon mooching around when I get back. This is a virtual museum! Maybe the Heritage Lottery Fund coukd assist?

Im normally loitering somewhere near the slipway if you want me to show you where that boat is

The spoil dumps at Harefield are planned away from the houses on the other side of Moorhall Road, well away from Hawtreys. The viaduct would ruin the marina and close the sailing base (HOAC) but shouldn't affect the sunk boats unless there are some in HOAC (pit 2?)

It occurred to me that the pit with the boats in might be on the route of a road access point for construction of the viaduct so it could be in danger of being filled in to make a road. Apparently there will be a concrete casting plant on the site as well due to the size of the works.

As I understand it its not if it happens but when..

I can't remember the area well enough to work it out but I think there was an old quarry roadway coming down towards the pit - a road I imagine may be reopened by HS2.

Edited by magnetman

I can see a forced excovation im sure a word in a papers ear if it is an area to be filled and the boats not removed or exivated or left might be in the intrest at least just to stur up more hs2 distruction votes if you see what i mean

It occurred to me that the pit with the boats in might be on the route of a road access point for construction of the viaduct so it could be in danger of being filled in to make a road. Apparently there will be a concrete casting plant on the site as well due to the size of the works.

As I understand it its not if it happens but when..

I can't remember the area well enough to work it out but I think there was an old quarry roadway coming down towards the pit - a road I imagine may be reopened by HS2.

Maps of the land being used for construction are here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/372413/HS2_plan_volume_2.1-_Colne_Valley_to_Quainton.pdf

Maps 201 & 204 refer to the section adjacent to the pit, cannot however find the document that the numbers reference to.

Tim