Done it after years of waiting

kienik

Featured Posts

As some of you may remember i bought a buckingham 20 five years ago ish and it didnt see the water in my time of ownership,

well i have just exchanged some of my hard earned cash for a DC22, lovely boat, new engine, inverter, alarm, full inventory (and i mean full) down to tea and coffee etc, good canopy, bsc, licence, tv, cooker, fridge, walkies, and bloody all kinds

it is on the L&L at the mo and i got a mooring on the Shropshire Union in Waverton (Chester), does anyone know the best route to take to bring her back, i wstimate four days or easy cruising, or three days intense.

would it be easier to get it slipped out and transported via road, what will the cost likely to be for this?

All responses welcomed

Nik

JohnD

Thanks for the message, im sure we will have all kinds of questions that we need answering, so fell free to PM me with any you have and i will definately do the same (im a bit wet to all this lol)

thanks

Nik

Thanks all

my boat is in Burscough near to Ormskirk, i was looking to do it this weekend doing 14 hour days but i am too scared hehe.

i might take a long weekend next week and bring it back then, thanks for the info regarding the aqueduct

Nik

As some of you may remember i bought a buckingham 20 five years ago ish and it didnt see the water in my time of ownership,

well i have just exchanged some of my hard earned cash for a DC22, lovely boat, new engine, inverter, alarm, full inventory (and i mean full) down to tea and coffee etc, good canopy, bsc, licence, tv, cooker, fridge, walkies, and bloody all kinds

it is on the L&L at the mo and i got a mooring on the Shropshire Union in Waverton (Chester), does anyone know the best route to take to bring her back, i wstimate four days or easy cruising, or three days intense.

would it be easier to get it slipped out and transported via road, what will the cost likely to be for this?

All responses welcomed

Nik

It looks like 4 X 10 hour days, how experienced at boating are you and will you be single handing?

Thanks all

my boat is in Burscough near to Ormskirk, i was looking to do it this weekend doing 14 hour days but i am too scared hehe.

i might take a long weekend next week and bring it back then, thanks for the info regarding the aqueduct

Nik

From Burscough through to chester is quite easy. Four long days should see you OK.

I would definitely sail it as it is only a few days sailing and not too many locks.

If you are single handed I may be able to assist you through Wigan ( Appley Bridge locks to Poolstock locks ) depending on which day you go through.

Steve

It has sails??? :lol::lol::lol:

It has sails??? :lol::lol::lol:

If I remember my local history/stories right...

Many years ago (when horse boats were still common) one man used to walk his horse over the tunnel and leave it in some grazing for the night, go back to his boat, wait until about midnight, rig up a sort of sail using the cabin shafts and some of the cloths, shove his boat into the tunnel mouth and then go to bed, relying on the draft to propel his boat through.

Apparently this worked quite well, until morning an FMC steamer and her butty were out very early and hit the boat.. No-one was hurt, but the make-shift rigging was completely annihilted and some choice expletives were heard echoing through the tunnel :lol:;)

Thanks for all the replys to this topic.

Sorry i havent replied earlier but been at the boat all weekend, throwing junk out and generally tidying it up a bit, some bright spark decided to clad all of the original interior cupboard doors,cabinet sides and fronts,worktops,bulkheads etc in disgusting laminate floor styple boards, after removing one panel i found the original wood from when the boat was first built!!! no glue used to fit the "new" cladding just panel pins so no harm done.

two days work and i have all the cladding off and all woodwork sanded and re-varnished/stained in deep mahogany, all brass work re-instated and the boat looks completely different now, only got to change the curtains and carpet and the cabin is finished.

cockpit floor seems a little bit too spingy in places so i think i will replace it over the next couple of weekends, anyone in the Burscough area next weekend feel free to drop me a line and lend your expertise on how to fit a new cockpit floor.

after careful consideration i have decided i will take the boat to a slipway and get it bought to chester by road, easier and quicker so thats the way ill go i think, unless anyone wants a free holiday and bring it back for me? (for a fee obviously).

Thats it for now i think, time for a glass of wine

Nik

Thanks for all the replys to this topic.

Sorry i havent replied earlier but been at the boat all weekend, throwing junk out and generally tidying it up a bit, some bright spark decided to clad all of the original interior cupboard doors,cabinet sides and fronts,worktops,bulkheads etc in disgusting laminate floor styple boards, after removing one panel i found the original wood from when the boat was first built!!! no glue used to fit the "new" cladding just panel pins so no harm done.

two days work and i have all the cladding off and all woodwork sanded and re-varnished/stained in deep mahogany, all brass work re-instated and the boat looks completely different now, only got to change the curtains and carpet and the cabin is finished.

cockpit floor seems a little bit too spingy in places so i think i will replace it over the next couple of weekends, anyone in the Burscough area next weekend feel free to drop me a line and lend your expertise on how to fit a new cockpit floor.

after careful consideration i have decided i will take the boat to a slipway and get it bought to chester by road, easier and quicker so thats the way ill go i think, unless anyone wants a free holiday and bring it back for me? (for a fee obviously).

Thats it for now i think, time for a glass of wine

Nik

I've been down that watery route many times, and the Bridgewater is a lovely canal full of contrasts from the wide open views of the Leigh Branch out of Wigan to the glorious countryside just before Lymm. There are some wonderful features like Barton swing aqueduct and the straight bit through Sale ad Altringham has many interesting bits.

The Leeds Liverpool from Burscough to Wigan is one of the most beautiful stretches in the country (that I know of) and the Northern Trent and Mersey is also veru beautiful.

I think four days (or two weekends) would be plenty of time to move your boat perhaps leaving it at one of the boatyards just before Lymm for safety for the week inbetween. Dover Lock the first night, then Lymm, then by one of the 'Lakes' on The Trent and Mersey (very pretty) would be the way I'd go.

You're missing one of the most interesting and varied journeys I know of by getting her moved by road, plus it's costing you a whole lot more. You've very few locks and the odd swing bridge, but it's an easy trip.

I've a few days off at the end of this week so your offer to move your boat is very tempting, I dont have a boat on the canal at the moment so I would enjoy it. Just wondering how your insurance would cover it etc?

If you do decide to go the road route, I know a good transporter guy and can give you his phone number if you PM me.

PS: I've fitted some new floors, and many other bits in the past so can probably give you some hints.

Edited by GRPCruiserman

Is a DC22 a Dawncraft? If so, this thread about a flexing floor might be of interest, but not the age, they were not writing yesterday. http://www.dawncraftowners.com/phpBB3/view...083&p=12425

Re moving boats owned by others via water, I used to do this, and would again given half a chance. If you are just getting your reasonable expenses paid there is no problem about insurance, you are just a friend of the owner. This is the same as getting petrol costs re-imbursed by someone you give a lift to in a car.

It's when you add in a daily rate, or charge per lock/mile, that things look commercial, in which case the mover should have insurance. If you are moving a boat for a company - such as delivering a boat to or from a Marina, then their insurance will cover the mover, whether they are an employee, a self-employed subcontractor, or friend doing it for expenses only.

In my case, reasonable expenses covered meals, but you should make a prior agreement to limit the spend on alcohol, with or without a meal. This didn't come into consideration with me because I don't touch the stuff. Receipts are always handy as a backup, although not needed for every item, such as if you grab a couple of cobs or fish and chip takeaway around mid-day.

Good Luck, and have fun.

Is a DC22 a Dawncraft? If so, this thread about a flexing floor might be of interest, but not the age, they were not writing yesterday. http://www.dawncraftowners.com/phpBB3/view...083&p=12425

Re moving boats owned by others via water, I used to do this, and would again given half a chance. If you are just getting your reasonable expenses paid there is no problem about insurance, you are just a friend of the owner. This is the same as getting petrol costs re-imbursed by someone you give a lift to in a car.

It's when you add in a daily rate, or charge per lock/mile, that things look commercial, in which case the mover should have insurance. If you are moving a boat for a company - such as delivering a boat to or from a Marina, then their insurance will cover the mover, whether they are an employee, a self-employed subcontractor, or friend doing it for expenses only.

In my case, reasonable expenses covered meals, but you should make a prior agreement to limit the spend on alcohol, with or without a meal. This didn't come into consideration with me because I don't touch the stuff. Receipts are always handy as a backup, although not needed for every item, such as if you grab a couple of cobs or fish and chip takeaway around mid-day.

Good Luck, and have fun.

It does sound like it would get a bit dodgy moving a boat for someone insurance wise, both for the boat owner and the mover. I was very tempted by the offer to move it but don't want to get in to any legal or insurance issues should anything happen so I'll pass on this one and stick to my day job (electrical retail!!).

I still think the original poster should move the boat by water if possible; even on a weekend basis, there are loads of places to (legitimately) leave a boat for the week along that stretch (boatyards etc) and quite safe ones at that.

It's such an interesting bit of canal with everything to offer.

Good luck whatever you choose to do anyway and hope you enjoy your boat.

It does sound like it would get a bit dodgy moving a boat for someone insurance wise, both for the boat owner and the mover. I was very tempted by the offer to move it but don't want to get in to any legal or insurance issues should anything happen so I'll pass on this one and stick to my day job (electrical retail!!).

Oh Dear, It seems my piece was badly written, because what I meant to make clear was my view that if a friend moves a boat, and has some of their actually incurred costs reimbursed, then that's fine, insurance wise.

By definition (of friendship) the mover is going to bear some cost or inconvenience themselves. In return they get an intangible reward - pleasure in the trip, and the warm glow that goes with helping someone out.

If any part of the transaction looks more commercial than 'partial reimbursement', then everyone is on more risky ground, unless they are commercial.

The real answer is for the boat owner NOT to rely on Forum Answers but to consult his Insurance company.

Also, it isn't inevitable that a claim is required, journeys can be completed safely without damage :-)

Regards.

Thanks to all who responded, still not sure what to do with regards to moving the boat via road or by water, i have got the mooring until end of April so plenty of time to decide.

With regards to the rear cockpit floor, to my surprise when i lifted the horrible laminate flooring i found the original brown grp moulded flooring which is in fantastic condition, i just need to replace the wooden access panel, hence the spongy feeling when stepping on to it, fantastic news for me as i only need a piece of wood aorund a metre by half a metre, i want to cover it with rubber type flooring that you find on non slip bus steps etc.

Does anyone know where i can get some from? dont really want to go to a Swindelery.

All advice greatly accepted.

Nik

Thanks to all who responded, still not sure what to do with regards to moving the boat via road or by water, i have got the mooring until end of April so plenty of time to decide.

With regards to the rear cockpit floor, to my surprise when i lifted the horrible laminate flooring i found the original brown grp moulded flooring which is in fantastic condition, i just need to replace the wooden access panel, hence the spongy feeling when stepping on to it, fantastic news for me as i only need a piece of wood aorund a metre by half a metre, i want to cover it with rubber type flooring that you find on non slip bus steps etc.

Does anyone know where i can get some from? dont really want to go to a Swindelery.

All advice greatly accepted.

Nik

No point in buying a boat and then moving it by road. Should have bought a caravan.

Sue

• 5 weeks later...

Having lived up that neck for a while I'm in the "you're missing a treat" camp. There's no big flights, plenty of long stretches and the L&L from Burscough to Appley is lovely, as is most of the Bridgewater/T&M run; at least past Altrincham. If you're daring (a little bit) you could run down the Ship Canal and that would be something to write home about, if they'll let you.

It gets a bit boring on the Bridgewater as there's no locks but it's one of the few times you can do an entire day with no locks so can relish that as well when it gets tedious. There are times you'll look back on it with a Rosy Hue.

OTOH I suppose there's a slipway at the Slipway but, after all, it's a boat..

Having lived up that neck for a while I'm in the "you're missing a treat" camp. There's no big flights, plenty of long stretches and the L&L from Burscough to Appley is lovely, as is most of the Bridgewater/T&M run; at least past Altrincham. If you're daring (a little bit) you could run down the Ship Canal and that would be something to write home about, if they'll let you.

It gets a bit boring on the Bridgewater as there's no locks but it's one of the few times you can do an entire day with no locks so can relish that as well when it gets tedious. There are times you'll look back on it with a Rosy Hue.

OTOH I suppose there's a slipway at the Slipway but, after all, it's a boat..

I really like The Bridgewater, there's loads to look at interest wise, I wouldn't consider it boring at all.