Hancock and Lane

Featured Posts

• 1 month later...
I worked for hancock and lane in the 70s the began about 1970 and produced a large number of boats and comercial craft they are best known for the Norsman style boat they also built a smaller boat with a raised front deck called Marlin these were mostly 30 feet in length I worked for them from 1972 through to the end which I belive to be 1984 I was made redundant twice At the finish there were only four of us left and at one time they had at least 8 teams of 3 men building boats and employed 60 men many other companies have been borne out of this skilled labour force It is true that the boats were a little dumpy however many of these craft are still in use on the canals giving testimony to there build quality they were in there time considered by many to be at the forefront of the industry I would regulaly work 70 hrs a week to keep up with demand starting at 6 am and finishing at 6 pm 5 days a week and then doing a Saturday morning for good measure The eatly starters were summoned at 8 am for a trip to Willerby to the cafe for cooked breakfast on the firm I am still boatbuilding I was only 19 when I started work Thats enough from an old boatbuilder

Never enough from an old boat builder. This is the sort of stuff I love to see and read on this forum. And it is wonderfully informative. Please carry on. Who did you work for/with afterwards?

It sounds more like a "flounce" than a thank you, as though they expected a petition begging them to continue.

I think that comment is not needed or correct!

Hancock & Lane were not just boatbuilders, they were steel fabricators and structural engineers. they built many steel framed buildings following the cessation of boat building and did so for many years as a highly respected firm in the area. The fact that their boats are still regarded as quality today and many of the BW maintenance fleet are now working within private hands proves the fact.

I think that comment is not needed or correct!

Hancock & Lane were not just boatbuilders, they were steel fabricators and structural engineers. they built many steel framed buildings following the cessation of boat building and did so for many years as a highly respected firm in the area. The fact that their boats are still regarded as quality today and many of the BW maintenance fleet are now working within private hands proves the fact.

I'm not questioning the quality of the boats, but the advert sounds quite sour. It is criticising the boat buying public.

• 1 year later...

Where's "Steve The Train"? Did you buy that project boat, Steve? If so, how are you getting on with it?

Going to resurrect a very old thread here in hope of some advice! Can anyone tell me how to spot a Hancock and Lane boat? Do they have any features which are specific to them? Have been looking at buying what is thought to be a Hancock and Lane, and as their reputation is very good I'm keen to be sure it is what the seller says it is, before I pay to get it out the water and have it surveyed.

Thanks.

Going to resurrect a very old thread here in hope of some advice! Can anyone tell me how to spot a Hancock and Lane boat? Do they have any features which are specific to them? Have been looking at buying what is thought to be a Hancock and Lane, and as their reputation is very good I'm keen to be sure it is what the seller says it is, before I pay to get it out the water and have it surveyed.

Thanks.

Mine had a Hancock and Lane builder's plate welded onto it in the front welldeck...

Queenie, their lines are not as distinctive as some other boats of that generation such as Springers, Mindons or Harboroughs. But most have a characteristic curve to the front end of the superstructure's sides - good for tripping over unless you take care! Have a look at Apollo Duck (specify "narrowboats" and makers' names will be displayed on the left of the page) and you'll see photos of various H&Ls.

I also understand that they had a reputation for good quality. Perhaps, like so many British companies, their refusal co compromise their standards resulted in their demise, at least as boatbuilders.

Probably already mentioned in this old long merging of various threads but......

I believe that H&L ceased building boats before the mid 1980s, (although one sees ones sometimes claimed to be newer!).....

That makes any genuine H&L built boat not less than about 27 years old now.

Whilst there are very many good, sound, boats of that kind of age, to some extent you are then firmly into the territory that how it has been kept maintained in those 27 or more years may well be far more important than the reputation of the original builder at the time they were fabricating them.

We have here somewhere a tailor made heating oil tank which i took out of an 70' H&L narrow boat,it fed a wick type Esse range.

The tank was professionally tailor made to fit in the front well neatly up against the front gas locker bulkhead.

The boat listing on Jim Shead lists the boat maker as unknown...the boat I'm looking at is a trad stern, whereas most of the H & C boats I've seen have been cruisers. Is there such a thing as a trad stern H and C?

The 70' boat i took the tank out of was a trad with a Lister HA, and i think it was original,not converted.

The boat listing on Jim Shead lists the boat maker as unknown...the boat I'm looking at is a trad stern, whereas most of the H & C boats I've seen have been cruisers. Is there such a thing as a trad stern H and C?

I assume you mean H & L ??

I'm more familiar with 1970s than 1980s H&L boats, but they certainly did build "trad" sterns, (although I'm not convinced "cruiser", "trad" etc were terms in use back then!).

Their "standard" offerings were ranges like their "Norseman", which I think usually did have an engine under deck-boards. But they also built more upmarket hulls, in more traditional styles. Someone I knew had a beautifully long swimmed boat with a 2 cylinder Sabb, that absolutely flew through the water, and was exceedingly sweet handling.

Edited by alan_fincher

I understand that Willow Wren had several H&L boats in their hire fleet from the 70's to the 90's. They also had some Pinder ones - I'm not able to tell which is which but there are two distinct styles. Both had wooden tops - look in my gallery for photos of Willow Wren Kearns/ Middlewich Narrowboats ones.

I understand that Willow Wren had several H&L boats in their hire fleet from the 70's to the 90's. They also had some Pinder ones - I'm not able to tell which is which but there are two distinct styles. Both had wooden tops - look in my gallery for photos of Willow Wren Kearns/ Middlewich Narrowboats ones.

'Willow Wren' also built a few boats at Rugby for private owners. I operated a full length motor and butty pair from 1979 to 1985 that incorporated a Hancock and Lane motor (built 1976) and a John Pinder butty (built 1972 as 50' - lengthened to 70' in 1976 by 'Willow Wren'), both being fitted with the standard 'Willow Wren' wooden cabins. Clearly I am able to identify the differences between the Hancock and Lane hull and the John Pinder hull. Personally I would say that the John Pinder hull was superior, although its 'Willow Wren' cabin was a little strange at the stern end being more akin to a motor cabin than a butty cabin. The Hancock and Lane motor had a short swim and did not handle very well at all, especially when towing a butty. Having said that we used to get around pretty quickly - but I was very happy to move on to 'historic' narrow boats which were / are better in every respect.

From October 1980.

H&L advertisements still full page for boats, (or boat kits!)

Hancock_and_Lane_001.jpg

By May 1983, most of an advertisement is for chandlery type items.

But the bit for "steel boats" does confirm either "traditional or cruiser style" - so it seems such terms were in general usage by that date.....

Hancock_and_Lane_002.jpg

'Willow Wren' also built a few boats at Rugby for private owners. I operated a full length motor and butty pair from 1979 to 1985 that incorporated a Hancock and Lane motor (built 1976) and a John Pinder butty (built 1972 as 50' - lengthened to 70' in 1976 by 'Willow Wren'), both being fitted with the standard 'Willow Wren' wooden cabins. Clearly I am able to identify the differences between the Hancock and Lane hull and the John Pinder hull. Personally I would say that the John Pinder hull was superior, although its 'Willow Wren' cabin was a little strange at the stern end being more akin to a motor cabin than a butty cabin. The Hancock and Lane motor had a short swim and did not handle very well at all, especially when towing a butty. Having said that we used to get around pretty quickly - but I was very happy to move on to 'historic' narrow boats which were / are better in every respect.

The persons who may be best placed to say which boats were built by H&L and which by Pinders would either be Pinders or Chris Cliff who ran Middlewhich Narrowboats for many years.

Hi,Our boat is a 1978 semi trad H&L Norseman "S" design,she was rebottomed for the first time by David Thomas at Braunston Nov 2010.I personally think that the build quality and steel quality was excellent for what was a mass produced product in its day. Only 6mm bottom,5mm hull and 3mm cabin steel sizes were used. My surveyor has failed boats with 10mm bottoms as young as 6 years old!!(cheap foreign steel). The boat has no covering over the rear deck and after 16 months there is nothing to pump out of the bilge!,the rear deck drainage system must have been very well thought out. We are very pleased with her and proud to own a little bit of canal pleasure boat building history.

The persons who may be best placed to say which boats were built by H&L and which by Pinders would either be Pinders or Chris Cliff who ran Middlewhich Narrowboats for many years.

John Pinder told me about 20 years ago that he never built a butty, even though it is mentioned in Waterways World magazine Volume 1 Number 1 - Spring 1972 - page 40 ! The original owner also told me it was built by John Pinder when I worked for him briefly in 1979. Its fore end was also identical to most other boats built by John Pinder of the period.

It seems there is no such thing as a reliable source - not even from the original builder :captain:

Edited by pete harrison

I supplied all the brassware to Hancock & Lane until the boat building finished. The quality of stuff that went into the boats apart from the steel was good. It was the advent of cheap boatbuilders that competed with crap steel that influenced the company to stop building boats and concentrate on the other part of their business.