Vanette Oven & Hob

Ralph Claydon

Featured Posts

Hi

I have my BSS coming up in a few weeks.

I have my Hob directly over the oven with the worktop in between.. Both are fed by 5/16" flexible armoured hoses.(I can not see any dates or ratings on them, even though i bought them from a Corgi registered boatyard).

My question,

How do i stand about the pipe Joints between flexible pipe at both oven and hob being visible or accessible?

As these are in between the oven and hob and in fact in the middle of the worktop. Would it be ok to lift the hob when the surveyor comes?

Hi

I have my BSS coming up in a few weeks.

I have my Hob directly over the oven with the worktop in between.. Both are fed by 5/16" flexible armoured hoses.(I can not see any dates or ratings on them, even though i bought them from a Corgi registered boatyard).

My question,

How do i stand about the pipe Joints between flexible pipe at both oven and hob being visible or accessible?

As these are in between the oven and hob and in fact in the middle of the worktop. Would it be ok to lift the hob when the surveyor comes?

AIUI, yes, provided you don't need any tools to lift the hob.

Is this a first BSC? If not it's always a good idea to use the same surveyor/examiner as last time.

If not, I assume you have an RCD. If the gas installation has not been altered since new then either it should pass a BSC exam or in my view you have a claim against the boat builder because it's not fit for purpose.

N

The standard braided hoses usually have a tag clipped around them at one end, with the date embossed in.

I've tried to find a picture, but failed.

Having gone to the effort of replacing all ours before the BSS, the examiner then leant in, and physically unclipped the tag from each, to take it out to read the date.

I realise I could have just swapped the tags over, not the whole pipe, and he would have been happy. :lol:

Having consulted several calor documents on the issue of life span of flexible LPG piping, including Calor, Calor marine and the BSS, I have never actually found anything prepared to say what consitutes "life expired", although this

Calor PDF document

does say

We have no specific recommendation for the exchange interval for vapour hoses, but it is considered that the normal useful service life of such hoses should not be beyond 5 years.

As I have regularly seen both gas and fuel hoses in chandlers that are at least 4 years after manufacture already, one needs to check on purchase. Obviously they should not have deteriorated before use, so 5 years use should permit a date that is 9 years old in such a case, but how do you prove it ?

When I stripped open the 13 year old (braided) hoses that had been on our appliances, (and so passed previous BSS inspections with no bother), you get the standard type "orange" hose inside the braiding. I could find no evidence of any degradation to this at all - it appeared completely as in "as new" condition, to be honest, but didn't thik I'd push my luck with hoses with 1995 tags on them.

Hi - strictly following the rules your boat safety examiner should require sight of the flexible and should need to see the tag to check the spec. Although if the examiner is experienced he/she will be able to tell just by looking at the flex.

Either the hob or oven will need to be removed and if screwed in which it should be strictly for a number of reasons it is for the boat owner to do the un-screwing. If the hob is the 4000/2 and you un-screw this plastic cover caps will never again look as good again so go for un-screwing the oven. You might consider cutting in the cabinet side an inspection panel which often greatly helps the inspection process.

Gas regulations which on this subject the BSS follows checks for the condition of the hose. This is impossible to do with braided hose which you say you have. The gas regulations has a recommendation that any flexible gets changed every 5 years. The date used in the UK is date of manufacture and no allowance is made for shelf life. The BSS has no check for date either as a condition or advice check.

If the hob and oven is the 4000/2 and GG7000 and you check the installation instructions it will tell you that both HAVE to be installed using solid pipe work. No flexible being allowed.

Hope this helps, regards Chris Williams