New Boat timings

heyjude999

Featured Posts

Well our boat is almost ready now and as I type this we are still on for a handover on the 20th February.

I am getting insurance quotes and cover will start on that day but I am curious about other timings.

I know we will have a boat safety certificate, this will be given to us at handover stage but then I understand the boat has to be registered.....looked on the BW site and can find no forms or details of how to do this, so that is Question 1. I could have missed it I suppose.

I assume once we are registered and insured we apply for our license, but how long before these things go through is Question 2.

Will we be OK to start our journey back from the boat builders without a license if it takes a few days? Do you just put a notice in the window license applied for? Question 3.

Oh how green am I????

Thank you in advance.

Well our boat is almost ready now and as I type this we are still on for a handover on the 20th February.

I am getting insurance quotes and cover will start on that day but I am curious about other timings.

I know we will have a boat safety certificate,Not a new build boat then, if it is you require a RCD (recreational craft directive) this will be given to us at handover stage but then I understand the boat has to be registered Licence application is also registration .....looked on the BW site and can find no forms or details of how to do this, so that is Question 1. I could have missed it I suppose.

I assume once we are registered and insured we apply for our license, but how long before these things go through is Question 2. We went to the local BW office filled in the forms and got a receipt, that was our proof for quite a few weeks, especially when they sent us the wrong licence

Will we be OK to start our journey back from the boat builders without a license if it takes a few days? yes if you have the receipt or just take a chance as by the time they catch up with you the licence will be through :lol: Do you just put a notice in the window license applied for? Question 3.

Oh how green am I????

Thank you in advance.

Licences start from the first day of the month, the insurance certificate, BSS, or RCD have to be produced when applying for licence , a copy was taken for their (BW) records.

Licences start from the first day of the month, the insurance certificate, BSS, or RCD have to be produced when applying for licence , a copy was taken for their (BW) records.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't boat builders have licence plates which they can use for transporting boats over the system?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't boat builders have licence plates which they can use for transporting boats over the system?

They certainly can have trade plates, as a substitute for registration/licencing of boats that are being worked on, and, I suppose, delivered. But they'd want them back as soon as they'd done the handover.

They certainly can have trade plates, as a substitute for registration/licencing of boats that are being worked on, and, I suppose, delivered. But they'd want them back as soon as they'd done the handover.

Hmmm, I just wondered whether, if the OP hadn't got her licence plates sorted, the builders would be able to let her use theirs to mollify the BW and the curtain twitchers. Perhaps the formal handover could be done on the new mooring instead of at the yard.

I know we will have a boat safety certificate, this will be given to us at handover stage but then I understand the boat has to be registered.....looked on the BW site and can find no forms or details of how to do this, so that is Question 1. I could have missed it I suppose.

I assume once we are registered and insured we apply for our license, but how long before these things go through is Question 2.

Will we be OK to start our journey back from the boat builders without a license if it takes a few days? Do you just put a notice in the window license applied for? Question 3.

Oh how green am I????

Thank you in advance.

I can't see any reason why if the RCD paperwork is complete, insurance obtained and licence applied for and paid for before official handover. our boat was licenced, BSC'ed, insured and registration number displayed before the boat went into the water.

I was in the same situation - I had sent off all the forms but they hadn't sent the licence by hand-over day. So, yes, I put a notice in the window and off we went.

There was a licence check at the Bratch locks (Staffs & Worcs), but they were happy once I gave all my details. In fact it was a couple of weeks more before I got the licence in my hands. I just told the local BW office (Glos) and they were happy about it.

Just keep BW informed I suggest.

Good luck!