liverpool boat company

Guest steve jenkin

Featured Posts

Guest steve jenkin

need some help, i want to reclaim my vat for my boat, cant do it unless i find out if liverpool boat company is trading in any form and possibly a contact number for them, if anyone can help . . . .

thanks

steve

need some help, i want to reclaim my vat for my boat, cant do it unless i find out if liverpool boat company is trading in any form and possibly a contact number for them, if anyone can help . . . .

thanks

steve

http://www.liverpoolboatco.co.uk/

from website:-

Liverpool Boat Co Ltd

29 Townsend Street,

Liverpool,

L5 9XY.

Telephone 0151-2989600

Fax Number 0151-2989601

Email liverpoolboat@btconnect.com

Guest steve jenkin
http://www.liverpoolboatco.co.uk/

from website:-

Liverpool Boat Co Ltd

29 Townsend Street,

Liverpool,

L5 9XY.

Telephone 0151-2989600

Fax Number 0151-2989601

Email liverpoolboat@btconnect.com

thanks, i have those details, but i understand they have been changed, phones are dead, but i know they are still trading, just cant get hold of their new number

thanks, i have those details, but i understand they have been changed, phones are dead, but i know they are still trading, just cant get hold of their new number

They are not still trading. Some of the people involved have started a new company called the Collingwood Boat Company but I understand that is an entirely separate entity.

They are not still trading. Some of the people involved have started a new company called the Collingwood Boat Company but I understand that is an entirely separate entity.

Sorry, yes, I'd forgotten that they have been discussed before HERE

I blame tonight's venture into the whisky bottle.................. :lol:

I'm wondering on what basis you intend to reclaim the VAT on a narrowboat? Even if you achieved your objective you would have to charge VAT on a second hand sale where there's more likelyhood of pigs flying than achieving that !!!

People are now claiming VAT back on qualifying broad beam boats and barge style narrowboats in light of previous tribunal rulings.

Even if the builder is no longer trading it seems to be possible to claim back the VAT paid due to incorrect VAT assessment at the time of purchase.

Gary, I don't suppose you can link us to any authority you may have to hand... We paid VAT on 30K for our liveaboard.

Admittedly I'm being lazy as it's very nearly bedtime and I've stumbled across this thread...

People are now claiming VAT back on qualifying broad beam boats and barge style narrowboats in light of previous tribunal rulings.

Qualifying being the key word here. I checked the HMRC rulings for this on my 57' x 12', 30 tonne Liverpool Boat and it didn't qualify. Under the rules the boat's tonnage is reduced by a ridiculous percentage - by their calculations mine came out at less than 12 tonnes! (I think it needed to be at least 16).

It seemed to me you'd need a big barge to qualify and I don't see how a barge style NB or any NB would qualify, but it's worth checking for yourself just for peace of mind if nothing else.

Sorry I don't remember where I found the information - I think it was a link from a builders website to the HMRC website. Anyway, it's all out there.

Edited by blackrose

I'm wondering on what basis you intend to reclaim the VAT on a narrowboat? Even if you achieved your objective you would have to charge VAT on a second hand sale where there's more likelyhood of pigs flying than achieving that !!!

So the price of bacon's going up then! :lol:

Even if the builder is no longer trading it seems to be possible to claim back the VAT paid due to incorrect VAT assessment at the time of purchase.

Interesting. Do you have any proven examples? We would certainly welcome any VAT back on our newly purchased barge style narrowboat. I've certainly paid enough of the stuff over the years in business :lol:

Mike

Take a look at www.barging.co.uk/vat.htm for up to date info on this.

Qualifying ships need to be minimum of 15 gross tonnes and not to have been built or adapted for leasiure use.

From what I can see, you'd need to prove that it was built solely for residential use.

Another stumbling block could be that it must be seaworthy, it's not clear how this is defined.

I expect Colin Stone will be along shortly with the definitive answer.

Keith.

thanks

steve

Your receipt for the boat should show the VAT paid and the companies VAT number.

This will be proof of the VAT you have paid.

:lol:

Hi,

We met a couple of boaters on the Coventry canal who bought their Liverpool Boat narrowboat from Orchard Marina. They claimed that the marina is a 'sister' company for the original Liverpool Boat Co., Is that true?

Mike

Take a look at www.barging.co.uk/vat.htm for up to date info on this.

Qualifying ships need to be minimum of 15 gross tonnes and not to have been built or adapted for leasiure use.

From what I can see, you'd need to prove that it was built solely for residential use.

Another stumbling block could be that it must be seaworthy, it's not clear how this is defined.

I expect Colin Stone will be along shortly with the definitive answer.

Keith.

Thanks! :lol:

Hi

So the two companies are diferent, but the new diferent company shares the same address as the old one.

Is it right that Liverpool boats never went into receivership, just closed down? and that the factory kept working Liverpool boats closed, and collingwood was born??

isnt it strange how the simple sentence in bold is used by the 2 companies? on their website

I thought this is know as phonix companies, when one gos bust, another starts, but this is not the case as liverpool boats did not go bust??

I have obviously missed the boat on this one

Liverpool Boat Co Ltd

29 Townsend Street,

Liverpool,

L5 9XY.

Telephone 0151-2989600

Fax Number 0151-2989601

Email liverpoolboat@btconnect.com If you would like to visit us, or to contact us, our address is:

If you would like to visit us, or to contact us, our address is:

Collingwood Boat Builders

29 Townsend Street

Liverpool

L5 9XY

Telephone: 0151-298-9602

You can also send us a message, or ask for more information by completing the form below.

Big Col edited because my spelling is like a 4 year olds

Edited by bigcol

Hi

So the two companies are diferent, but the new diferent company shares the same address as the old one.

Is it right that Liverpool boats never went into receivership, just closed down? and that the factory kept working Liverpool boats closed, and collingwood was born??

isnt it strange how the simple sentence in bold is used by the 2 companies? on their website

I thought this is know as phonix companies, when one gos bust, another starts, but this is not the case as liverpool boats did not go bust??

I have obviously missed the boat on this one

Liverpool Boat Co Ltd

29 Townsend Street,

Liverpool,

L5 9XY.

Telephone 0151-2989600

Fax Number 0151-2989601

Email liverpoolboat@btconnect.com If you would like to visit us, or to contact us, our address is:

If you would like to visit us, or to contact us, our address is:

Collingwood Boat Builders

29 Townsend Street

Liverpool

L5 9XY

Telephone: 0151-298-9602

You can also send us a message, or ask for more information by completing the form below.

Big Col edited because my spelling is like a 4 year olds

Yoo mus av gon to the same skool as me den! Me mum an dad sed it wus a gud skool, becus it wus approved! :lol:

Hi Alan

never noticed the phone number!!! I have a lot of paperwork re my liverpool boat,

Out of interest im going to have a look to see if the 1/2 digit was used that Collingwood uses.

And doorman :lol:

those wa tha days dont thay call aprovved schols Borstol naw??

Col

To save the LB thing going round and round again, the answer was provided on this forum by one of the LB directors

Basically it was that Liverpool Boats did not go bust, but massively scaled down their production and staff mainly due to a very large volume customer taking their orders to another country. They decided to transfer all new orders to Collingwood boat builders that was already a sister company, using part of the same premises.

It would seem logical and good business to close one of the businesses if there was only enough business for one, so Liverpool Boats stopped trading. In the light of so many boat builders going bust recently, the general assumption was they LB had done the same, but that was not the case.

Roger

Guest steve jenkin

you can claim your vat back on a widebeam, secondly, i know 5 people that have succeeded in doing so. If any of you have been told differently, then look again. thanks for those that replied to my original request, much appreciated, have since spoken to alan and is now being proccessed

Hi Alan

never noticed the phone number!!! I have a lot of paperwork re my liverpool boat,

Out of interest im going to have a look to see if the 1/2 digit was used that Collingwood uses.

And doorman :lol:

those wa tha days dont thay call aprovved schols Borstol naw??

Col

:lol::lol:

To save the LB thing going round and round again, the answer was provided on this forum by one of the LB directors

Basically it was that Liverpool Boats did not go bust, but massively scaled down their production and staff mainly due to a very large volume customer taking their orders to another country. They decided to transfer all new orders to Collingwood boat builders that was already a sister company, using part of the same premises.

It would seem logical and good business to close one of the businesses if there was only enough business for one, so Liverpool Boats stopped trading. In the light of so many boat builders going bust recently, the general assumption was they LB had done the same, but that was not the case.

Roger

Sounds like good business sense to me!

Mike

you can claim your vat back on a widebeam, secondly, i know 5 people that have succeeded in doing so. If any of you have been told differently, then look again. thanks for those that replied to my original request, much appreciated, have since spoken to alan and is now being proccessed

Please keep us informed as to your progress. As in many cases with the Inland Revenue/customs & Excise, you have to be pretty tenacious to beat them into submission ;)

Mike