refurbishing a boat. Will it need an RCD?

Featured Posts

I've just come across a rather suitable boat for my requirements, but it needs a full refurbisment. It is in effect an empty shell with an engine fitted.

Not sure about the date of manufacture yet, but it is an old boat.

It has been altered after it had burned out.

If I where to get it going as a working boat, with a cabin at the back, will it need just a BSC to make it 'cut' legal, or would it need to pass more stringent testing?

Thanks

If I where to get it going as a working boat, with a cabin at the back, will it need just a BSC to make it 'cut' legal, or would it need to pass more stringent testing?

Thanks

IMHO, as an 'old' boat - just a BSC. You can get your BSC before you even start refitting, provided that the basics have been observed, like the diesel tank vents, marking of fuel cut-off, engine stop BS standard fuel flex pipes etc. The responsibility is yours to refit in a manner which will then pas the 'next' BSC.

The change from working to recreational does in theory fall under the remit of the RCD.

But of course that only applies if you were to sell it on within five years from completion.

I may have misread the OP, but I thought he was asking about converting a leisure boat into a working boat - in which case the RCD definitely wouldn't apply to the conversion, and at least as far as inland waterways are concerned a BSS Certificate would be the only paperwork required (I think). (In the unlikely event that the boat went onto water where the Maritime & Coastguard Authority hold sway then it (and the skipper) would need to be 'coded', which could be interesting for a narrowboat.)

Thanks for the replies, that confirms what I thought.

I have in principle agreed on a price, so in a few weeks I will be the proud owner of a boat (if all goes well). I will have a lot of other questions, but I'll ask them in separate threads, to allow those searching in the future to be able to find them easier.