Boat with no name - yet

Yamanx

Featured Posts

Yeah, looks cracking.

- What are you doing with the stern tube gland? (seeing as its a bit shot-at!)

A bit shot at! Looks like a sausage up an alley way! Would take some gland packing to seal that up.

Watching with interest, good luck with the project.

Mike

Daniel

• 6 years later...

Hi Yamanx,

I realise this thread is over a decade old, and you have not been active on these forums in a while but i am keen to make contact.

I have recently bought Hunky Dory and finding your build blog has been very interesting. If this message reaches you please drop me a line!

Chris

Hi,

where did this boat originate from?

I recognise the name, my old boss owned a nb named enway endeavour which he never really used but almost donated its use to a local scout group and other community uses. It would be interesting should this be the same boat.....

Hi,

apologies I have now read the thread (rather than just seeing the boat name in post no1.

If this is the boat I believe it to be I can give you a little history....if you don't know it already.

The boat was originally owned by a company called enway engineering who I believe produced the gearbox, I can find out some more about that from my father who worked at the same company that later owned enway endeavour. The boat changed ownership from my recollection when enway engineering ceased trading and owed money to my previous employer. The boat was then owned by Harlow & Milner (John Milner, now sadly passed away) who dedicated its use to the local scouts and was managed by a chap that I met once around 16 years ago called Vince Thompson.

I seem to recall the gearbox was somewhat unique and built by enway and was some sort of prototype but could be wrong. When I last saw Vince some very long while ago he reported the hull was approaching the end of its useful life - it would appear nothing was done since then.

Best of luck with Hunky Dory Chris I'll try and add more to what I know of the history if you're interested...

Hi Yamanx,

I realise this thread is over a decade old, and you have not been active on these forums in a while but i am keen to make contact.

I have recently bought Hunky Dory and finding your build blog has been very interesting. If this message reaches you please drop me a line!

Chris

Hi Chris....I hadn't even seen the age of thread....I was so taken with the seeing the name and nostalgia etc!

Edited to add reference to enway drive....

Edited by Bantam_dave21

Bantam_Dave21, I think its fair to say this is the same boat!. This is proving very interesting thank you so much for your input.

I bought her at Red Hill Marina near Nottingham on the Soar where she is still on a hardstanding awaiting shotblasting and blacking. My survey suggests the hull is not yet at the end of its life and from reading this thread, that is very much down to the work done by Yamanx.

I am in the process of refitting her as Yamanx's handywork had succumbed to damp and a shower leaking into the bilge for presumably quite a while

Any further info or photographs you may have would be fascinating!

Chris

Bantam_Dave21, I think its fair to say this is the same boat!. This is proving very interesting thank you so much for your input.

I bought her at Red Hill Marina near Nottingham on the Soar where she is still on a hardstanding awaiting shotblasting and blacking. My survey suggests the hull is not yet at the end of its life and from reading this thread, that is very much down to the work done by Yamanx.

I am in the process of refitting her as Yamanx's handywork had succumbed to damp and a shower leaking into the bilge for presumably quite a while

Chris

Hiya Chris,

photos I doubt, but I suspect when I get the opportunity my dad will have some info, stories etc.

i seem to recall the drive was somewhat different to the 'norm' I think it had a torque converter but I could be wrong on that one. My dad worked for the building company as a fitter and would regularly recover the boat with clogged filters etc get her going again and they'd take it back to the marina which was in Mirfield I recall - Shepley bridge I thinks. I don't think I'll be able to shed anything more than that sort of thing, but personally find it really interesting that she's still going after a varying history, having given pleasure and memories to lots of youngsters over the years she's still bringing pleasure even now....

Cheers,

Dave

• 3 months later...

Chris

How have things progresses Chris with the work..blacking etc....is she back afloat?