Boat with no name - yet

Yamanx

Featured Posts

Currently known as the Enway Endeavour was given to me recently through this forum. Its a 55' odd shape narrow boat that requires a fair amount, nay a massive amount, of work.

With some help from others, over the last eight weekends or so, it has travelled from Mirfield to Wolverhampton where she will be lifted out on Thursday of this week for work to commence.

Some work will be done this side of Christmas, like the new bottom, but the majority and the real work in ernest will start in January.

I intend to post images and progress reports here for those interested. :P

She's out :P

Tried to see where all the leaks are as she was raised up, colander springs to mind :)

John you were right about the prop being, er, a bit too small. I'll get some pics up over the weekend but the prop is a shaped so that there is more drive in one direction than the other (?) I think, maybe thats how they all are? I dont know enough about it. But it is obviously far too small at only about 10-12 inches in diametre and it should, by all acounts, be around 18-20. New prop then :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest st170dw

She's out :)

Tried to see where all the leaks are as she was raised up, colander springs to mind :)

John you were right about the prop being, er, a bit too small. I'll get some pics up over the weekend but the prop is a shaped so that there is more drive in one direction than the other (?) I think, maybe thats how they all are? I dont know enough about it. But it is obviously far too small at only about 10-12 inches in diametre and it should, by all acounts, be around 18-20. New prop then :D

Saw your new boat this week - not sure about the paint scheme! I like the line of it I am sure it will be great when you have expended some TLC (and cash!).

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Set about replating the bottom and 500mm up the sides this weekend. Had a good day on Saturday we managed to get the bottom plates all tacked in place bar one at the back. Jacking the boat up off the tressles so we could slide the very heavy plates under was a bit hairy. We had a small bottle jack that is rated at 10tonne and a trolley jack at 5. The trolley jack was a waste of time, apart from the fact it wasnt really strong enough, as it moves in an arc. Causing all kinds of problems with the boat shifting sideways and making us all run for it more than once. The bottle jack was strong enough but it looked very dangerous indeed with just this small jack at one end of a 12 tonne boat four feet in the air! All done though and my arms ache like hell this morning lifting those sheets.

Yesterday was not so good as we were down one body and we had one or two problems. Because the boat had a hole in the engine compartment leaking water in and out, I wanted to put a small patch on this before over plating to stop any water getting between the plates and the original bottom. So we tried to do this. But the engine compartment still has a residue of oil, diesel and god knows what in there. It caught fire, or at least I bloody thought it did, frightening the life out of me and I let the extiguisher off in the engine compartment making it look like santas grotto, again. Turned out it was not on fire but it was making a lot of smoke and bubbling sounds.

After that we managed to weld on the patch ok. We got about a quarter of the sides on as well yesterday, so all in all not too bad. We should just about complete the sides and bottom by the end of next weekend. I forgot my camera this weekend but will remember it next week, probably, and put up some images.

Yamanx,

Like others, I've really enjoyed following your challenge, both getting the boat back to base, and now as you start to sort it out.

I'm sure we'd all find some pictures educational, particularly if there were some "before" and "after"s on some of the big jobs....

But the engine compartment still has a residue of oil, diesel and god knows what in there. It caught fire, or at least I bloody thought it did, frightening the life out of me and I let the extiguisher off in the engine compartment making it look like santas grotto, again. Turned out it was not on fire but it was making a lot of smoke and bubbling sounds.

You really do like setting things off in that engine compartment. don't you!

I wondered if you are going for an alternate approach to the "how to deal with a filthy engine hole thread"! Possibly trying to burn all the oil, grease, diesel and other crap out with the engine still in there may be ambitious :rolleyes:

But seriously, I love the posts so keep 'em coming, along with some images.

Many thanks.

Edited by alan_fincher

A pretty good weekends welding Id say. We got all the sheets on and about 90% of the welding. My back aches from bending down to weld the sides on.

I'll post some detail tomorrow but just thought I'd put a few pics up.

gallery_51_2_33673.jpg

gallery_51_2_101654.jpg

gallery_51_2_133082.jpg

gallery_51_2_12212.jpg

So, why didnt sink sink then? You may well ask.

gallery_51_2_19117.jpg

Finished all the welding over the weekend and the previously named Enway Endeavour now has a brand new bottom and 500mm up the sides. Also welded some patches over the various waste water outlets, four of them, and fridge vent, all of which were in the wrong place for the new interior. One of them was on the water line and must have let in some water.

Cut all the old gas locker out, as this is now going to be my generator enclosure. The gas is going up at the front.

Had another major moment. Actual flames belowing out of the engine area, emptied yet another fire extinguisher, thats three so far, into it. No real damage just superficial, and scorched paintwork.

I'll get the new rudder made up this week along with a new swan neck and some other bits and bobs, get the stern gland machined to fit and some improvements to the final drive.

Feel like I'm really getting somewhere now. I have decided to not put it back into the water just yet though. As I'm going to hire a skip, strip out the inside where she is, put the skip right under the front and just chuck everything over board. Also I'm going to prep and paint the exterior where she is, if the boat yard will let me keep her there a bit longer.

• 1 month later...

A busy weekend has seen us put in a new stern gland, prop shaft and bigger prop, fit the rudder and new skeg. Also went round and done all of those little jobs need with the welder, bracket for the stern greaser (Never had one fitted previously), fixed a broken bit of the hand rail etc. Put the chiminey cast thingy into the roof ready for the burner and a bit of a clean out.

Next stage is blacking, this weekend coming if its dry and back into the water and move her onto her moorings at Norbury where I will carry out the re-fit. :lol:

I have kept a detailed record but off the top of my head:

crane out = 160

steel = 600

prop and shaft = 200 (Already had brand new stern gland arrangement, I found it inside the cabin)

Boatyard = 400

Labour (Not including me) = 360

Consumables and other bits and bobs = 100

Anodes = 60

Yet to do:

Blacking = 150?

Crane in = 320 (Unless there is another boat lift on the same day and I can go halves)

Boatyard = 100

So, for about 2.5k I'll have a new bottom, new rudder, prop, shaft, stern gland, lower sides, anodes, tiller swan neck, skeg and blacked.

In addition I'll have it surveyed whilst its out of the water and I dont know what that costs.

A completely wasted weekend.

I had the hull surveyed during the week, while its out and before I was due to black it this weekend. The work we have carried out was praised by the surveyor, but there is a small strip of welding that still needs to be done.

I planned to weld the strip on and fully black the boat, fit my new exhaust, re-route the raw water cooling, fit new diesel trap and start sorting out the engine compartment.

Instead I did nothing, neit, nil, zero. I managed to get my self ill. Too blimin ill to get out of bed on Saturday and only just on Sunday. I never left the house from Friday afternoon until this morning. Very frustrating and I dont feel too good today either. I thought it was a cold but its has really knocked the hellout of me, I've never had anything like this before. Off to the docs this afternnon, and hopefully fully recovered and back to it next weekend.

Its annoying though when all you have is the weekend to get things done and that gets scuppered. :rolleyes:

What's this world coming too.

Ill on Friday, Docs on Monday

You should have to wait at least a weeek, like the rest of us :angry:

You wait so long for an appointment round here, you are either recovered or dead by the time you get to see the Doc. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Doing pretty well. Painted up to the gunwhales with primer and about half the top area.

Bearing in mind that I am stripping the whole thing back to bare metal, its very time consuming and incredibly messy. Should have the whole boat preped and in primer by this weekend, seal and top coat following weekend.

I'll put some images up during the week.