Engine hour / rev counter

mike-h

Featured Posts

A customer of mine is looking for a tacho to suit a big Kelvin, which has a nominal speed range of about 180 to 1000 rpm. They're fed up with replacing expensive very long drive cables on the mechanical tacho :lol:

I could probably rig something up from the alternator (AC30 AFAIR) but most of the electronic analogue tachos are designed for much higher rpm.

I've emailed the tinytach people to ask about minimum rpm, first they came back with 300 rpm but then had another think and said it ought to do 150.

I don't suppose anyone here has any real world experience of this aspect? Or a low speed electric tacho lying around in their shed? the later versions of the engine had a little tacho generator on the fuel pump drive, but they're obsolete now (and probably very expensive new).

Tim

Cant help with minimum revs I'm afraid as my Dorset is at 634rpm at tick-over.

Have never found the update speed a problem in real life.

I do have a rev counter in my junk box that has from memory 3000 as the top RPM but that's a bit high for what you require

• 3 weeks later...
The display is 20 feet or so from the engine, not sure how to do that with a cycle computer, ISTR the one I had was 'cordless'. Also the tiny tach may be 'tiny', but I'll guess that a cycle computer display might be 'tinier' and hard to read at a distance. I don't see the tinytach as the perfect answer, but it looks like one possibility.

The rapid updating bit might not be hugely important in this particular case, the main need for the tacho is when driving auxiliary machinery from the main engine and is not changed rapidly.

BTW I've got a couple of brand new old stock mechanical tachos here with hour meters, scale up to 2500 rpm, with drive cables maybe 2 or 3m long, open to offers.

Tim

Hi, New to this forum but somewhat longer in the tooth on Tiny Tach My son in law runs about 50 of the diesel variant in his Construction/ Plant company The latest model update the revs every second. The most important thing is to get or modify the sensor fitting so that it closes completely around the injector pipe but is a tight fit, Otherwise the rev readings fluctuate The memory retention battery is supposedly good for 5 year but one unit has now run 8 years & is still going strong +the local agent offers great back up if needed, but so far only 2problems have ocured both dealt with promptly& with no charge

• 7 years later...

Most likely it goes to negative. Can you post a photo of the terminal side so we can be sure? Any manufacturer names and part numbers? Basically it is a clock that only runs when it is powered up buy the engine power key being in the run position. This needs a wire to supply the electrickery and another to take it away again.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

7 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

You don't need a rev counter on a Kelvin.  Just count the bangs. :)

Blimey you are right - things do happen very slowly in the great world of Kelvins........

..... my post you have quoted is over 7 years old, for example!

Edited by alan_fincher