Just been sent these

dove

Featured Posts

Spot on Derek, but I am still not convinced that is Keith on Lynx. No cap for a start.

I don't really know Keith, but there is a resemblance & whenever I've seen him he's been wearing bib & brace overalls like that, don't recall ever noticing Roger wearing them (or specs, come to that).

Tim

Spot on Tim

I was not going to bother replying but, That is definately Keith Christie spent hours and hours and days and weeks and years with Keith and Roger through the sixties/seventies. Roger did not wear glasses and besides Keith was about 6' 2" and Roger was about 5' 8" at the time of this photo Roger had a 'teddy boy' type hair cut with a quiff.

I'd like to know what the motor barge at the Lighterage yard is:-

http://picasaweb.google.com/Parabuild/Cana...107402195395522

Tim

I think it is the Agnes. I have a photo of her in Waterloo Dock, Liverpool, in 1975.

I've just had it confirmed that there are two likely candidates, AGNES and JOHN CALDERWOOD.

The name on the back could be 'Agnes Liverpool' or 'John Calderwood', Agnes seems the more likely.

Both were ex-ICI steamers, motorised by Liverpool Lighterage.

I may have a pic somewhere of the Agnes on the Weaver, I'll see what I can find.

Tim

We've just been enjoying these pictures but my partner and I are pretty convinced that the picture of nb Ian said to be at Berkhamsted looks more like nb Ian taken at Red Lion Bridge, Marsworth with the Old Ship in the background. on the towpath What do other forum members think?

D

Edited as just caught up with the thread and David S agrees with us.

Edited by debbifiggy

We've just been enjoying these pictures but my partner and I are pretty convinced that the picture of nb Ian said to be at Berkhamsted looks more like nb Ian taken at Red Lion Bridge, Marsworth with the Old Ship in the background. on the towpath What do other forum members think?

D

Edited as just caught up with the thread and David S agrees with us.

Actually it was me, I think, and I have no doubt of it....

See

Post Number 6

Wonderful stuff.....

(snip)

The Ian one is of course not Berkhamsted, as captioned, but by the Ship, near Red Lion Bridge, Marsworth.

The boats at the piling depot are undoubtedly Aynho and Ayr - who is in charge would depend on the date, but they don't look scruffy enough for the Browns / Dakins!

(snip)

Sam and Gladys Horne had Aynho and Ayr, and from 1963 to 1966 worked them carrying piles from Marsworth along with Sam Brooks, after which Sam & Gladys took the house beside Sweeps. That from Sam & Gladys's' account in Euan Corrie's 'Tales From The Old Inland Waterways', David & Charles.

Derek

PS Judging by some of the other shots, many seem to have been taken in the late sixties early seventies. Actis and Arcas waiting at Brentford were used on the Lime Juice until seventy three I think from what has been written before, so maybe Aynho & Ayr were in someone elses hands at the time of the photo - assuming it was post '66.

Edited by Derek R.

• 6 months later...
Some nice photos there, couple of location identifications:-

NB Edgeware is outside the Building Shed at Braunston(now occupied by Roger Farington) before the wall was demolished to build the slipway, so probably in Chris Barney's or Willow Wren's time there.

NB Jaguar is definitely outside David Blagroves Cottage next to the Boat Inn at Stoke Bruerne. (not Braunston)

NB'S Jaguar and Achilles , plus two photos of Willow Wren boats below Braunston Pump House.

NB Curlew is outside the Pump House (Now UCC Workshops) at Braunston

NB Dunlin outside former GUCC offices at Braunston , (Now UCC Office)

Thought I would slot this in because I just came across it. Edgeware at Braunston in 1971.

nbEdgeware1971.jpg

No.50 looks like Mr Bray walking across the bridge.

No.52 might have Roger Alsop on Comet.

No.8 & 9 I read Aberystwyth

No.13 looks like X & X COMIC CUT BOAT Co.? Don't recognise that bit of Berko, unless it's around sewerage.

Who's that steering LYNX in No.61?

Nice album. Thanks for posting.

Derek

Who's that steering LYNX in No.61?

Looks like Keith Cristie

Edited by Split Pin

Yes, Blossom concurs HERE. I've never met him so wouldn't know.

Derek

Should have read the entire subject before posting.

I remember Keith owning Lynx from the late 60's early 70's and indeed did assist him locking on one occasion, I don't remember the particular livery in the photo, more so the latter version that Midland Canal Transport used, I think that MCT was Keith, Clive Stevens, Cliff Sherwood (Bellatrix), maybe Roger Hatchard as well at its inception, carrying Birmingham City's waste to somewhere on the Camp Hill -Knowle level of the GU, Ive no doubt someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Keith is still around as far as I am aware although not in the best of health

Steve

You're not the Split Pin I know! :lol:

We do come in different sizes :lol:

We do come in different sizes :lol:

SH may be referring to a certain young lady who sometimes accompanies Dr. Busker - Dorset Steam Fair and all that.

Just a guess!

Derek

This is He, and probably She:

Edited by Derek R.

SH may be referring to a certain young lady who sometimes accompanies Dr. Busker - Dorset Steam Fair and all that.

Just a guess!

Derek

This is He, and probably She:

Yes that's Jenny (the original?? Splitpin) in the video....

Edited by antarmike

To my recollection, but I will ask the question when I see them, Midland Canal Transport consisted of Keith Christie with Lynx, Tony Gregory and Tench and Bob Derricott with Seaford and as far as I can remember I don’t think they ever had a contract for carrying Birmingham City’s waste. As for the other names mentioned, although all of them were very close friends of Keith Christie, none of them were ever anything to do directly with MCT.

Cliff Sherwood bought Belatrix off The Wulfruna Coal Company in 1965 and by 1967 Cliff was tripping her on the Staffs & Worcs. He has always run her under his own ‘Company’ name of Midland Navigation, and still does. In 1965 Clive Stevens bought Josher motor Parrot off David Houlston and in 1967 paired her up with Josher butty Ipswich. In 1968 he sold both motor and butty via Malcolm Braine and bought Battersea and Hyades off the first Wendover tender. The following year he sold Hyades to Roger Hatchard and bought Barnes. Clive and Pat Stevens worked Battersea & Barnes on various contracts through the 70/80’s, including a contract to carry rubbish up to a canal side tip somewhere around Warwick, somewhere near the Cape 2 I think, but this was nothing to do with MCT, in fact I have an idea it was through Caggy Stevens.

Roger Hatchard bought Hyades off Clive in 1969, after he had finished working Hawkesbury for Willow Wren and he paired Hyades up with Keith Christie’s Lynx for the next couple of years.

And yes Keith is still around but as stated not in the best of health since he had triple bypass heart surgery.

Blossom

To my recollection, but I will ask the question when I see them, Midland Canal Transport consisted of Keith Christie with Lynx, Tony Gregory and Tench and Bob Derricott with Seaford and as far as I can remember I don’t think they ever had a contract for carrying Birmingham City’s waste. As for the other names mentioned, although all of them were very close friends of Keith Christie, none of them were ever anything to do directly with MCT.

Cliff Sherwood bought Belatrix off The Wulfruna Coal Company in 1965 and by 1967 Cliff was tripping her on the Staffs & Worcs. He has always run her under his own ‘Company’ name of Midland Navigation, and still does. In 1965 Clive Stevens bought Josher motor Parrot off David Houlston and in 1967 paired her up with Josher butty Ipswich. In 1968 he sold both motor and butty via Malcolm Braine and bought Battersea and Hyades off the first Wendover tender. The following year he sold Hyades to Roger Hatchard and bought Barnes. Clive and Pat Stevens worked Battersea & Barnes on various contracts through the 70/80’s, including a contract to carry rubbish up to a canal side tip somewhere around Warwick, somewhere near the Cape 2 I think, but this was nothing to do with MCT, in fact I have an idea it was through Caggy Stevens.

Roger Hatchard bought Hyades off Clive in 1969, after he had finished working Hawkesbury for Willow Wren and he paired Hyades up with Keith Christie’s Lynx for the next couple of years.

And yes Keith is still around but as stated not in the best of health since he had triple bypass heart surgery.

Blossom

My old logs suggest the rubbish contract was indeed connected with Caggy. It was collected from a furniture factory in Leamington and taken to a field above Stockton where I think it was burnt. In 74 when we passed Battersea had taken one of Caggy's day boats full to the tip, rather than leave his butty there to be loaded over a longer time scale. I think Mark Holtham owned the field later on.

• 1 year later...
Guest leeparkinson

It looks like Parderry, blown up.

parderry was never blown up as from my father and the rest of my family which were the last duker power boat captains she was first sunk by steam tug firefly and was repaired and some years later was involved in a colision and it was cheaper to scrap them to repair

parderry was never blown up as from my father and the rest of my family which were the last duker power boat captains she was first sunk by steam tug firefly and was repaired and some years later was involved in a colision and it was cheaper to scrap them to repair

I actually meant that, when the photo is blown up and you zoom in on the lettering, it looks like it says "parderry".

Nice to read a bit more about her fate, though.

Thanks.

Guest leeparkinson

I actually meant that, when the photo is blown up and you zoom in on the lettering, it looks like it says "parderry".

Nice to read a bit more about her fate, though.

Thanks.

acorrding to my father and family she always seemed to be the most untidy and unlucky out of all the dukers and also i can show the picture to my father and will defo find out which power boat it is and possably which flat