Just been sent these

dove

Featured Posts

Hi Andrew

Nice pic's. the first one "Unknown Location" is a Grand Canal Carrying Co. barge 80E or 83E. The E denotes it was transferred to the engineering dept. for use in maintaining the waterways and structures.

I cannot find info on it on the HBA Site (just a quick look though). Also no idea of the location but does not look like anywhere on the Grand that I recognise.

It's actually 93E. I have a similar photo taken in 1980, the location being on Dublin's Ring Canal towards the western end. The CIE had several E boats fitted with caravans for living aboard.

This one

http://picasaweb.google.com/Parabuild/Cana...108015687678226

Is the most interesting

Looks like a "duker" barge but cant make out the name and since there were only ever 6 in the fleet all of which started with Par...... plus the Iris Abbot which was the prototype it should be easy!

It looks like one of the Pimblott built ones that rules out Parelia and Parfield which were built by Yarwoods.

but for the life of me I cant decide which one.

My guess is Parbella but the name looks wrong

More details

http://heritageboatassociation.ie/cms/inde...6&Itemid=64

I think it's Parderry.

Interesting, quite a lot of caption errors though :lol:

I'd like to know what the motor barge at the Lighterage yard is:-

http://picasaweb.google.com/Parabuild/Cana...107402195395522

'Marion Tatterson' is one candidate which would fit the circumstances, but the name looks rather like "****** Liverpool"

The Marion Tatterson was one of the last vessels to be slipped there.

One of my customers would probably know (and what the Dukers power barge is in the other pic) but I'm not likely to see him until the weather thaws a bit!

Tim

I think it is the Agnes. I have a photo of her in Waterloo Dock, Liverpool, in 1975.

With a bit more thought, I reckon they were a bit later.

It's after the Railway Shed burned down, which was around the time I finished at University (circa 1970/1).

In

http://picasaweb.google.com/Parabuild/Cana...106103083377458

a Motor Boat is being converted, ahead of the Mabel.The one I can think of is the Snipe, which AFAIR entered service (as a Hotel Boat - edit) in 1973 though may have been 1972.

The Anderton fleet, especially the properly painted ones, were looking distinctly tatty so probably getting towards their end.

Tim

You're right if it is Snipe. I seem to remember she went back in the water after the aqueduct had been rebuilt for the electrification of the West Coast mainline which was 1971/2. I think she was ready for service that year, so the Bedford van in the background could have been mine, though I don't remember one of that colour.

A note added to say that the Hegaro is on Beverley Beck.

Edited by Pluto

You're right if it is Snipe. I seem to remember she went back in the water after the aqueduct had been rebuilt for the electrification of the West Coast mainline which was 1971/2. I think she was ready for service that year, so the Bedford van in the background could have been mine, though I don't remember one of that colour.

I'm 99% sure, on mature reflection, that Snipe entered service in 1972, it was the same year I took Mabel & Forget-me-not out, so the pic is probably late 1971, or early 1972 .

Do you mean the yellowish shape behind Peter Froud's green Transit? I vaguely remember somebody having a yellow Bedford or similar van. Also in the pic is Alan Galley's green (Austin?) van and his Atkinson 'shunter'. He was running one or maybe two similar Atkinson units on the road at that time, and the last few of the ACCco boatmen worked in the warehouse (Stitt shed), Fred Gibbs as a forklift truck driver.

I'll hazard a guess that the pics of ACCco boats at Anderton were taken at about the same time, Charlie Atkins was living on Mendip but the rest would have been laid up.

Tim

I'm 99% sure, on mature reflection, that Snipe entered service in 1972, it was the same year I took Mabel & Forget-me-not out, so the pic is probably late 1971, or early 1972 .

Do you mean the yellowish shape behind Peter Froud's green Transit? I vaguely remember somebody having a yellow Bedford or similar van. Also in the pic is Alan Galley's green (Austin?) van and his Atkinson 'shunter'. He was running one or maybe two similar Atkinson units on the road at that time, and the last few of the ACCco boatmen worked in the warehouse (Stitt shed), Fred Gibbs as a forklift truck driver.

I'll hazard a guess that the pics of ACCco boats at Anderton were taken at about the same time, Charlie Atkins was living on Mendip but the rest would have been laid up.

Tim

Who were the boat families living there then? I remember Fred. His wife and her parents were also there - I have a recollection of her father almost perpetually leaning on his brush, and was it Joe Hollinshead on Effingham? He had a speech impediment and, as Charlie Atkins would say, liked 'tottages'. The stop lock only had one gate then, bent over at the top by Anderton boats trying to get through when there could be several inches difference in levels. It was at the time of the Bridgewater breach. They did seem to move around between Anderton and Preston Brook from time to time, even if just to charge their batteries. When turning Mendip around, Charlie would insist that I came with him through the tunnel and back - I eventually realised that I was just extra ballast to keep the counter down. He always wanted to hang a lighted candle in a jam jar down one of the airshafts in summer, just to see if it would stop boats going through.

Who were the boat families living there then? I remember Fred. His wife and her parents were also there - I have a recollection of her father almost perpetually leaning on his brush, and was it Joe Hollinshead on Effingham? He had a speech impediment and, as Charlie Atkins would say, liked 'tottages'. The stop lock only had one gate then, bent over at the top by Anderton boats trying to get through when there could be several inches difference in levels. It was at the time of the Bridgewater breach. They did seem to move around between Anderton and Preston Brook from time to time, even if just to charge their batteries. When turning Mendip around, Charlie would insist that I came with him through the tunnel and back - I eventually realised that I was just extra ballast to keep the counter down. He always wanted to hang a lighted candle in a jam jar down one of the airshafts in summer, just to see if it would stop boats going through.

Fred and Rose Gibbs, Rose's parents Jack and Leah Tolley (he of the broom), I think you're thinking of Henry Hollinshead, George Page, and John Anderson were there at one stage, but I suspect it was just the Tolley/Gibbs family and George Page by the time those pictures were taken.

Tim

Do you mean the yellowish shape behind Peter Froud's green Transit? I vaguely remember somebody having a yellow Bedford or similar van. Also in the pic is Alan Galley's green (Austin?) van and his Atkinson 'shunter'.

Tim

Click the magnifying glass top right to enlarge the photo.

The green van is indeed an Austin, an A35. The yellow Bedford is a CA model, similar to Carlt's motor caravan. The Atkinson tractor unit is a Mk1. The later 'Borderer' had twin headlights.

Arco can be seen to be 'Argo' when enlarged and Raven is the Little Woolwich 'Hydrus'

The yellow car behind Effingham in photo 55 is indeed a Ford '100E' type. There's also a grey van variant of the same model (300E) to the left.

Click the magnifying glass top right to enlarge the photo.

The green van is indeed an Austin, an A35. The yellow Bedford is a CA model, similar to Carlt's motor caravan. The Atkinson tractor unit is a Mk1. The later 'Borderer' had twin headlights.

Arco can be seen to be 'Argo' when enlarged and Raven is the Little Woolwich 'Hydrus'

It's very fuzzy when enlarged for me, not clear enough to identify the 'yellow van'. I used to have a CA Utilabrake, cream & brown two-tone AFAIR, but pretty sure it had gone by that stage.

Raven had been under that name for quite a number of years, certainly since before 1965.

Tim

Photo No.6 is captioned Mendip and Lindsay. It's a Woolwich boat beyond Mendip, so can't be the Lindsay

Raven had been under that name for quite a number of years, certainly since before 1965.

Tim

Last time I saw it was still Raven. Perhaps was another of the boats sold off that BW insisted on a name change....

Photo No.20, the butty behind Jaguar is David Blagrove's 'Elton'.

Pictures 26 & 27 are at Sutton's Stop. Will that be 'Friendship' inside of Comet?

Photo 62 is wrongly captioned Braunston.

Last time I saw it was still Raven. Perhaps was another of the boats sold off that BW insisted on a name change....

Raven (ex-Hydrus) was one of the boats BW "bought back" in 1951. It had been in the L B Faulkner fleet since 1943 and they renamed several of their boats after birds. BW was originally going to use Hydrus on maintenance in the NW but it was nabbed by a boatman for the carrying fleet - can't remember which one but I've read the story somewhere.

Paul H

Raven (ex-Hydrus) was one of the boats BW "bought back" in 1951. It had been in the L B Faulkner fleet since 1943 and they renamed several of their boats after birds. BW was originally going to use Hydrus on maintenance in the NW but it was nabbed by a boatman for the carrying fleet - can't remember which one but I've read the story somewhere.

Paul H

It was on the next mooring to us at Sale in 1965, AFAIR in the process of conversion at that time.

Tim

I was a bit thrown by Cactus though which I think Malcolm Braine has owned since about 1964 so I think this pic must be miscaptioned. I would suggest it is Lamprey or Clematis.

Oh for a 5 megapixel camera in the 1970s though.

Paul H

Been having a look at Ed Greenwoods film on Laurence Hogg's DVD and it looks like Lamprey, it's the only one I can see with the two yellow spots on the top bends.

Andrew

Been having a look at Ed Greenwoods film on Laurence Hogg's DVD and it looks like Lamprey, it's the only one I can see with the two yellow spots on the top bends.

Andrew

That makes sense to me, I remember Lamprey as having red cabin side with a bit of DIY boatman's painting (John Anderson?)

What's the boat in No7, though? Looks like a small GU (Woolwich?) boat, the name could be interpreted as Bargus. Alan Galley did have the Bargus (from Wendover, presumably) but I thought it got sold on fairly rapidly. I remember Peter Froud considered buying it but went for the Snipe instead, probably a mistake with hindsight.

Tim

Bargus & Taurus doesn't have quite the same ring to it.....

He'd have a choice though, Taurus came with two ready-made pseudonyms, Turtle and Urmston.

Bargus & Urmston, that would really conjure up pictures of idyllic English countryside in the minds of potential passengers :lol:

Of course he'd already renamed one motor boat, Hawk/Jupiter, to go with Saturn.

Tim

I spent a week in dry dock last summer next to JD McFaul (Parcastle). The craziest family I've ever met. Had us in stitches the whole time listening to the banter between the Parents and their lunatic children as they all got stuck in. Very tough country folk and the most genuine you could meet...

Looks more like Roger to me than Keith. Roger usually took it around for Keith during the week.

I'm not familiar with either, and have only met Roger just the once at Braunston 2008, but isn't that Roger on Hyades Tiller in No.56?

Derek

I think photograph number 13 is BEXHILL

Pete,

I assume you have far more evidence on this than I would have, but guess if it is we are looking at pre-1970s for that one, as it was surely on UCCCo's fleet by the early 1970s.

I can see some evidence that it could be Bexhill, though.

Bexhill had a pigeon box on the roof in UCCCo days with some kind of eagle or big bird on - that might be in the picture.

Also seem to remember Bexhill's gears were operated by a long floor mounted brass lever to the right of the door, not via a conventional wheel. It's possible that's in the picture too.

On the other hand the counter looks in rather better condition than pictures I have of Bexhill from the 1970s, when operating with Brighton as a camper.

A shame the pictures are not at higher resolution of scan - it's very hard to pick out any details, as they become pixellated if you blow them up.

Photo No.6 is captioned Mendip and Lindsay. It's a Woolwich boat beyond Mendip, so can't be the Lindsay

Pictures 26 & 27 are at Sutton's Stop. Will that be 'Friendship' inside of Comet?

But photograph number 27 shows it to be a former G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. butty.

I think the Small Woolwich motor in photograph number 6 is also BARGUS, with its cabin and engine room roof deposited on the bank. BARGUS was removed from the Wendover Arm in the first half of April 1968, being towed away by TROUT along with ARGO.

Pete,

I assume you have far more evidence on this than I would have, but guess if it is we are looking at pre-1970s for that one, as it was surely on UCCCo's fleet by the early 1970s.

I can see some evidence that it could be Bexhill, though.

Bexhill had a pigeon box on the roof in UCCCo days with some kind of eagle or big bird on - that might be in the picture.

Also seem to remember Bexhill's gears were operated by a long floor mounted brass lever to the right of the door, not via a conventional wheel. It's possible that's in the picture too.

On the other hand the counter looks in rather better condition than pictures I have of Bexhill from the 1970s, when operating with Brighton as a camper.

A shame the pictures are not at higher resolution of scan - it's very hard to pick out any details, as they become pixellated if you blow them up.

All I have done is downloaded the photograph and zoomed in on the name, where I am sure I can read XHILL.

I remember BEXHILL as a Union Canal Carriers Ltd. camping boat very well, first paired with BRIGHTON and for the last year or so with BALHAM. Janusz & Ruth Rokicki purchased BEXHILL in 1964, going on to form Foxton Boat Services in 1967 and then Union Canal Carriers Ltd. in 1970. Clearly this photograph must predate its period as a hired camping boat.

All I have done is downloaded the photograph and zoomed in on the name, where I am sure I can read XHILL.

Your eysight, (or your computer, or both) is/are better than mine Pete!

I did not realise Janusz had had his hands on it quite that long. We hired from him in the early 1970s, and unusually he gave us Bexhill as a self steer.

It was not without problems, as the starter motor regularly failed to engage with the PD2, and we ended up hand starting it on several occasions. Whilst Janusz was along sticking a kitchen kniof in, in an attempt to rectify, he told us "You have here my favourite boat". The starter motor was still not much good after his attentions though.

I was very sorry when I heard of their tragic deaths, a great loss.

Looks like that photo is a lot older than most there, then.

I'm not familiar with either, and have only met Roger just the once at Braunston 2008, but isn't that Roger on Hyades Tiller in No.56?

Derek

Spot on Derek, but I am still not convinced that is Keith on Lynx. No cap for a start.

I don't really know Keith, but there is a resemblance & whenever I've seen him he's been wearing bib & brace overalls like that, don't recall ever noticing Roger wearing them (or specs, come to that).

Tim