Shepley bridge marine, christmas eve

Scooby

Featured Posts

Is there any sort of link between the weather and the number of boats that are going down

Or just co-incidence???

yes snow and ice freeze the drains on the decks/wells and then it starts to thaw from the top whilst the drains stay frozen. water then enters the boat and eventually with enough water the air intakes, drain holes become submerged and down she goes.

Really heart breaking photograph

re other sinking postings I do like the idea about using gaffa tape to seal all around the engine cover boards,

basically sealing the enginebay completely from Rain water or snow

col

• 3 weeks later...

This boat has now been refloated and goes into dry dock tomorrow.

I am the owner and the marina owner, who refloated her today after all the bloody ice had gone, says that he cannot find a reason for the sinking, he is going to have a better look tomorrow in dry dock.

Whats happened , has happened, got to get on with refitting it again now.

Only just finished the inside , only had the outside to paint, so bugger it , got to start again. Insurance going to have a check tomorrow so we will know if we are covered and for how much when the man has been.

Biggest problem is that we have just bought a widebeam to live on and are in the middle of fitting that out at the moment, so it is going to be a long hard slogf to get them both done.

We are/were keeping the little narrowboat, so we could carry on travelling all around the system, where as with the widebeam we are limited to where we can go with a 70ft long 12 ft wide boat.

This boat has now been refloated and goes into dry dock tomorrow.

I am the owner and the marina owner, who refloated her today after all the bloody ice had gone, says that he cannot find a reason for the sinking, he is going to have a better look tomorrow in dry dock.

Which ties in exactly with what Hamsterfan says about ice causing the problem. The ice melts leaving no clues.

Reminds me of when I worked at Fleetwood Docks. Youths were using ice from the ice factory to break windows at night. The following morning the only clue was a puddle inside the premises too far from the window to have been incoming rain. It took a few windows before the penny dropped.

George ex nb Alton retired

That seems to be the case Gary. We didnt know they were not connected to anything and they were too close to the waterline, so it is looking like the insurance may not pay anything, but we were told that the examiner that issued the BSS cert last May should have not given it a cerificate with those skin fittings there and if the insurance do not payout, we should sue the BSS examiner, I am loathe to start any court case unless it is absolutely necessary even though the insiurance inspector said that it is the BSS examiner that is to blame.

That seems to be the case Gary. We didnt know they were not connected to anything and they were too close to the waterline, so it is looking like the insurance may not pay anything, but we were told that the examiner that issued the BSS cert last May should have not given it a cerificate with those skin fittings there and if the insurance do not payout, we should sue the BSS examiner, I am loathe to start any court case unless it is absolutely necessary even though the insiurance inspector said that it is the BSS examiner that is to blame.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the BSS has anything to say about vulnerability to downflooding. Surely if the BSS examiner is checking for things that are covered by the BSS, and the BSS doesn't cover flooding, then he can't be liable?

A surveyor doing a full survey, on the other hand, should definitely check such things. I know ours was very careful to account for every external opening and make sure that he knew what was connected to it. He added a recommendation to expose and check one disused fitting to make sure that it was sealed on the inside.

MP.

I would guess that as having a skin fitting in the wrong place will only result in a sunk boat rather than electrocution, asphxiation or explosion The BSS people won't be interested.

They won't but maybe they should be, because it will usually cause pollution.

Drowning is possible, though. Perhaps they should include it. :lol:

Drowning is usually a uniquely personal experience

Drowning is usually a uniquely personal experience

As are electrocution and asphyxiation, I would imagine (but not of course explosion). My near-drowning experience (falling through sea ice) is unsurprisingly etched on my memory even after 40 years. My main thought was "Mervyn's cooking scones for tea this afternoon. I'll miss that."