Preventing Condensation

Featured Posts

I just thought I'd add to this thread as I've just treated myself to the new Karcher Window Vac which is a battery operated window squeezy which sucks up the water for later pouring down a sink... I've tried it on my windows, bathroom mirror and shower cubicle and I can honestly say it's FANTASTIC.... Tesco are currently selling them for £49.99!!! Well worth the money if you ask me

Ian

I just thought I'd add to this thread as I've just treated myself to the new Karcher Window Vac which is a battery operated window squeezy which sucks up the water for later pouring down a sink... I've tried it on my windows, bathroom mirror and shower cubicle and I can honestly say it's FANTASTIC.... Tesco are currently selling them for £49.99!!! Well worth the money if you ask me

Ian

Whats wrong with a rag?

• 2 years later...

Morning Everyone and Happy Mothers Day!

I'm Sue a very 'green boater' and I'd like to ask if anyone out there has any experience of a Sun-Mar Excel composting toilet, which I'm thinking of having on my boat under construction at the moment?

I've looked at the forum threads but can't find one for this particular composter.

I'm grateful for any help, Cheers

I'm Sue a very 'green boater' and I'd like to ask if anyone out there has any experience of a Sun-Mar Excel composting toilet, which I'm thinking of having on my boat under construction at the moment?

I've looked at the forum threads but can't find one for this particular composter.

Hi Sue

I like the thread you have placed your request on. As for composting toilets on boats the simple answer is do a poll and ask what percentage of boaters has one ( It will be less than one percent ) then ask yourself why.

biggrin.png Oh and do not go out for lunch today everywhere will be horrendous.

Tim

Thanks Tim,

Only realised I put the request on condensation topic after I'd posted - completely new to this and finding (losing?) my way!

Thanks for your help and you're right I won't be venturing out today - it's definitely DIY

Phew! Clicked on this thread and nearly fell off my seat when Roger Gunkle popped up, I soon realised it was a Zombie thread.

FWIW I know 2 people with composting toilets who have nothing but praise for them.

Oh yes and welcome Greenboater.

Phil

Worryingly I've found major damp under my matress. I can see it's where my body heat must be interacting with rising cold air from the hull which is now bedded in ice. I've lifted up the bedding to expose the wood and will try stuffing newspaper on top for the time being to absorb the damp and also airing the boards.

I use my log fire a lot but can't be on board all the time so I do get temperature fluctuation. My boat isn't really a live-a-board so with no central heating I have to do it the traditional way and use solid fuel. I can get the boat warm as toast in time but think the damp has been getting a hold in the early morning when the fire has burnt out. I leave a 300 watt radiator on when I'm out but this doesn't give out enough heat to get at all the damp.

I feel I haven't quite got the Winter situation solved and am now looking at more back-up for the log fire. A fan heater is probably the best bet and I can also turn it on those bed boards.

Dry-mat will cure condensation under matresses, not cheap but really does work. http://www.shipshapebedding.co.uk/Dry-Mat_Anti_Condensation_Layer.php?li=dry-mat

Hi Greenboater, and welcome.

I try to be as eco-friendly as the next man: composting toilets and similar eco-technology definitely have their place.

But a narrowboat isn't one of them, in my opinion. We have never regretted going for a macerator/holding tank system when we updated the plumbing on board.

Hello Ian, Many thanks for coming back to me so soon, I've got my boatbuilder on my back for a decision!

I've been stressing about this subject since last September and still can't make up my mind. My latest mad idea (and my husband says having a canal boat built is the maddest thing I've done so far!) is to have a holding tank installed to fall back on if the Sun-Mar Excel proves a big mistake. The feedback is mixed and mostly bad from people who have non-electric models in the USA.

My first preference was for a Sepparette Incinerating toilet but was immediately told that I would never have the power, either from the engine or on a marina, to run it.

My doubts about the Sun-Mar is the size of it - and obviously it looks a bit utilitarian but I think I'll give it a go, as in all things in life - it's a compromise.

Sue

As mentioned before... cat litter. This is probably the reason why I have not experienced bad condensation in my boat during my first winter... I have a cat that uses a litter tray wink.png

I also place moisture traps, available from the cheapo shops for a few quid. They seem to contain granules that look like cat litter. I leave these in strategic places such as in the cupboard under the kitchen sink, a corner of the bathroom and in the back step where the hatch is for the cabin bilge ( I leave the floor hatch open ) it works great!

In the bathroom its a good idea to always leave the window/porthole open.

Edited by Jamm

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned before... cat litter. This is probably the reason why I have not experienced bad condensation in my boat during my first winter... I have a cat that uses a litter tray wink.png

I also place moisture traps, available from the cheapo shops for a few quid. They seem to contain granules that look like cat litter. I leave these in strategic places such as in the cupboard under the kitchen sink, a corner of the bathroom and in the back step where the hatch is for the cabin bilge ( I leave the floor hatch open ) it works great!

Hmm, something wrong if you have to do all that to combat condensation. We are all fixed portholes, don't have a cat and don't use moisture traps, we do have low level vents and mushrooms plus a SF fire, we don't have damp issues.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

• 5 weeks later...

I open the bathroom window and put the extractor on when I have a shower, but other than that I don't leave the windows open unless it's hot in the boat in summer. I don't have a cat and don't do any of the other things you mentioned above.

I've been through 10 winters on this boat and 3 on my first boat with no condensation problems, so I don't think the solution is cat litter, etc...

Edited by blackrose

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you find that cat litter or bowls of salt are soaking up water then it means that your boat is not ventilated properly; that's why you have condensation.

I have lived on boats for nine years now without any condensation problems, but have known many boat owners who are constantly stressed about damp in their boats. Without fail they keep their boats sealed up and cold.

Good ventilation plus heating = nil condensation.

• 3 years later...

Has anyone here got a VMC https://www.archiproducts.com/en/products/fral/mechanical-forced-ventilation-system-f-vmc-rdc_267529 ? what it does is changes the air and recovers the heat. Its a forced ventilation system with heat recovery. The reason I ask is, these things are often used on large yachts and ocean going vessels that have to have watertight cabins. They are also used in houses situated in very cold climates like the Alps because the houses are so well insulated, they need a forced air supply. If you have one of these installed you won't get condensation problems.

1 minute ago, Allthatjaz said:

Has anyone here got a VMC https://www.archiproducts.com/en/products/fral/mechanical-forced-ventilation-system-f-vmc-rdc_267529 ? what it does is changes the air and recovers the heat. Its a forced ventilation system with heat recovery. The reason I ask is, these things are often used on large yachts and ocean going vessels that have to have watertight cabins. They are also used in houses situated in very cold climates like the Alps because the houses are so well insulated, they need a forced air supply. If you have one of these installed you won't get condensation problems.

Bit difficult to comply the BSS ventilation requirements with that system