WINTER CRUISING...

Janet S

Featured Posts

This is a bit different from our usual May hire boat cruises.

This Saturday we are off onboard "Theodora" for a week's cruise on the River Soar and Erewash Canal, courtesy of Nick and Margaret.

We've always wanted to cruise in the winter and they have been kind enough to offer us the use of their boat for the week.

The weather forecast looks promising - we were really hoping for some snow and frost, but we'll happily settle for anything except rain! Those of you who know us will know that we seem to be blighted by the wet stuff on every cruise!

We are travelling down to meet up with Nick on Saturday morning and he is going to come with us for part of the way to familiarise us with the boat. Not that we will need much familiarisation, as he has produced a most comprehensive guide for us!

If you see Theodora out on her travels next week with a slightly different crew, then please don't report her as stolen! Instead, make yourselves known and say hello!

Janet

This is a bit different from our usual May hire boat cruises.

This Saturday we are off onboard "Theodora" for a week's cruise on the River Soar and Erewash Canal, courtesy of Nick and Margaret.

We've always wanted to cruise in the winter and they have been kind enough to offer us the use of their boat for the week.

The weather forecast looks promising - we were really hoping for some snow and frost, but we'll happily settle for anything except rain! Those of you who know us will know that we seem to be blighted by the wet stuff on every cruise!

We are travelling down to meet up with Nick on Saturday morning and he is going to come with us for part of the way to familiarise us with the boat. Not that we will need much familiarisation, as he has produced a most comprehensive guide for us!

If you see Theodora out on her travels next week with a slightly different crew, then please don't report her as stolen! Instead, make yourselves known and say hello!

Janet

Hi Janet

I'll keep an eye out for you on the Erewash. Let me know if you need a lock-wheeler.

Kev

Off they went this afternoon.

I travelled from Thurmaston to Sileby Mill with Janet and Co. All seemed well. I do hope that they are happy with our rather idiosyncratic boat :lol:

The weather was stunning. Bright sunshine all day. Let's hope that it keeps up!

N

Oh bugger. That's the week over and done.

Now nicely esconced in the Hope and Anchor for the night.

I called Nick earlier to tell him we'd be back at the marina at about lunchtime...

Little does he know...Theodora has been given a swift coat of purple paint (well, it was on offer at B&Q). She is now heading for the L&L..they'll never find us!

Janet

Hello peeps,

I've managed to get my puter back now. She can be a bully at times!

I am loving the free WiFi pubs on the canals, even if it has been a week to find one. If I was a continual cruiser, I'd stay for a week next to each pub offering this service. Is there a website showing every available opportunioty, I need to know about it.

Love R.J.xx

did it snow?

Little does he know...Theodora has been given a swift coat of purple paint (well, it was on offer at B&Q). She is now heading for the L&L..they'll never find us!

Janet

Cool. I hope you enjoy your new boat. Keep us up 2 date on your location!

Oh bugger. That's the week over and done.

Now nicely esconced in the Hope and Anchor for the night.

I called Nick earlier to tell him we'd be back at the marina at about lunchtime...

Janet

Ha.1 I tracked them down at the end of a track through the broken ice. Dave at Raynsway had said that it was very thin and would be all right. It wasn't but I hope it was (In that order). It's probably a good thing that Theodora is due for blacking this spring.

N

Ha! I tracked them down at the end of a track through the broken ice.

Dave said that was thin ice?

That was by no means thin! It was thick and scary...

We eased into the marina gently, crunching all the way! The Elsan was frozen...the water pipe was frozen...it was brilliant!

Janet

Dave said that was thin ice?

That was by no means thin! It was thick and scary...

We eased into the marina gently, crunching all the way! The Elsan was frozen...the water pipe was frozen...it was brilliant!

Janet

Janet sounds like you had a good time ,Look forward to meeting up if you get down this way next May Steve.