Why do they do it ...

Tullz

Featured Posts

It never ceases to amaze me as to how naive (subsitute stupid) some people can be.

We are nearin' the end of our two week hire to see if we could cope with livin' on a boat as the winter draws in and with each other in a confined space.

Several folk have said how sensible and then proceed to tell us about couples who sell up lock, stock and hogshead to live on a nb without ever havin' spent more than a day on one, only to discover that they hate it!

We also helped a couple through Bunbury locks on a share boat only to have the wife confide in me that she never wants to do it again (it was their first time out).

So why do they do it? *puzzled look*

We intend to spend another couple of weeks on a semi trad (we're on a trad at the mo) some time in either January or February.

Makes sense to me of tryin' before buyin'; could save a lot of dosh and/or one's marriage!

Tullz

off to put cottage pie in oven!

Having watched the canal programmes on TV, there is rarely a hint of what it is really like. Boats can look like luxury apartments inside, which can be misleading, too. So I guess you can be lead to believe that it's just like being in a nice flat, but floating.

Edited by Lady Muck

Having watched the canal programmes on TV, there is rarely a hint of what it isreally like. Boats can look like luxury apartments inside, which can be misleading, too. So I guess you can be lead to believe that it's just like being in a nice flat, but floating.

It also doesn't help that they use wide angle lenses that make narrow boats to appear wider than they really are. :lol:

Tullz, is there a problem with the letter "g" on your keyboard?

Nah

it's an old irc habit of not puttin' a g on the end

I think I just might not bother with the apostrophe tho

:lol:

Tullz

sippin a chilled glass of Aussie chard by the glow of the squirrel  

Everyone risks not liking it when they move aboard, quite a few of our friends thought we were insane, I've done a fair bit of community boating but never spent more than a couple of nights onboard a boat. You never know until you try, but if you want to minimise the risk, we've said it before, don't sell your house or get a boat built to start with.

Also its a good idea to give it some time, I remember Honey Ryders blog - she really hated it for quite a while but then fell back in love with the lifestyle again.

I had an absolutely rotten first six months, everything went wrong, stuff broke, stuff didn't work like I expected it to, but I got over it and myself and I love it now.

Everyone risks not liking it when they move aboard, quite a few of our friends thought we were insane, I've done a fair bit of community boating but never spent more than a couple of nights onboard a boat. You never know until you try, but if you want to minimise the risk, we've said it before, don't sell your house or get a boat built to start with.

Also its a good idea to give it some time, I remember Honey Ryders blog - she really hated it for quite a while but then fell back in love with the lifestyle again.

I had an absolutely rotten first six months, everything went wrong, stuff broke, stuff didn't work like I expected it to, but I got over it and myself and I love it now.

Although we've done several boaty hols, it wasn't until last week when we hired for a specific reason other than a holiday that it made me think, could I cope with livin in such a small space?

Last week the answer would have been no; today it could be a possibility.

It hasn't been plain sailin, various problems have cropped up. But all in all it has been a good experience but I'm not sure if I could do it as a fully ccr.

Time will tell as we are only in the exploritory phase of gettin a nb.

:lol:

Tullz

pourin a beer for Bogg

I not got a NB yet but planning it for 3 years time I spent a few holidays on a NB in the summer and May. never done winter boating but I often go camping in a tent in the snow with no heating so I think if i can cope in a tent I can cope on a boat in the winter(yes before anyone say they both different I Know), I know that winter boating is alot different but I am not going into this with my eyes closed thats why I spending upto 3 years before making the move.

We are running the risk of being caught out by eventually going liveaboard as we have spent relatively little time on boats to be considering such a drastic move and it's good to read people's individual experiences, especially where things didn't exactly run smoothly to begin with yet they still stuck with it.

I think a couple of things on which it might depend, in addition to many other things, are how real your perception of living aboard is and how well planned you go into it beforehand.

On the plus side you could take what has happened around here... when I brought this house it was a quiet, idylic cul-de-sac with corn fields and hedgerows at the bottom of the road which have now all gone to be replaced by an Asda superstore on one side, a drive-thru KFC, pub and retail park on the other and a road through to a big housing estate and the accompanying traffic continually going by the window in the other direction at the top of the road. :lol:

Won't miss that... just move the boat!

We came across a boat very early this year at one of the brokerages that looked to be brand new and when we enquired we were told that a couple had brought it from new as a liveaboard, they had only taken it out once but his wife didn't like the motion when they were travelling?

We have done our homework (and still are) and the sooner it comes about the better for us.

Chances of us regretting it?

None. :lol:

Edit: I'm a hypocrite... I said I wouldn't miss the pub but I will!

Edited by The Anonymous Bard

We are running the risk of being caught out by eventually going liveaboard as we have spent relatively little time on boats to be considering such a drastic move and it's good to read people's individual experiences, especially where things didn't exactly run smoothly to begin with yet they still stuck with it.

I think a couple of things on which it might depend, in addition to many other things, are how real your perception of living aboard is and how well planned you go into it beforehand.

On the plus side you could take what has happened around here... when I brought this house it was a quiet, idylic cul-de-sac with corn fields and hedgerows at the bottom of the road which have now all gone to be replaced by an Asda superstore on one side, a drive-thru KFC, pub and retail park on the other and a road through to a big housing estate and the accompanying traffic continually going by the window in the other direction at the top of the road. :lol:

Won't miss that... just move the boat!

We came across a boat very early this year at one of the brokerages that looked to be brand new and when we enquired we were told that a couple had brought it from new as a liveaboard, they had only taken it out once but his wife didn't like the motion when they were travelling?

We have done our homework (and still are) and the sooner it comes about the better for us.

Chances of us regretting it?

None. :lol:

Edit: I'm a hypocrite... I said I wouldn't miss the pub but I will!

I think it's better to burn your bridges for, say, a couple of years. It's the only way to really get into the liveaboard lifestyle as you are forced to get over the bad spots and get satisfaction from overcoming problems. It's far from a perfect lifestyle but what is?

For us it's been very satisfying and can't imagine not having done it.

Life's short, grab it with both hands and do your thing.

I think it's better to burn your bridges for, say, a couple of years. It's the only way to really get into the liveaboard lifestyle as you are forced to get over the bad spots and get satisfaction from overcoming problems. It's far from a perfect lifestyle but what is?

For us it's been very satisfying and can't imagine not having done it.

Life's short, grab it with both hands and do your thing.

Thanks Innisfree...

Patience is the hardest part of it all at the moment as we enjoy every minute that we spend on and around the canals and we always feel a bit down when we have to go home, surely unnatural?

I'm playing the waiting game purely because the longer I leave it before taking the plunge, the better off I will be but I think there were two excellent points there, life is indeed short and overcoming actual problems as they represent themselves would seem to be a far quicker learning curve.

Pleased that you enjoy the life so much...

I think that the waterways press have a lot to answer for especially the boat reviews. Time and again, featured boats, which are invariably of the expensive or very expensive variety,are praised to the skies with very little comment on the unsuitability of the silver cabinet handles on the Art Deco interior, the 5 flat screen tvs (not that old chestnut:)), joy stick steering or the bathing platform. Almost without exception the featured boats are for sale again within a few months at prices often not much more than 50% of the cost of the build - perhaps this should be known as the Dover syndrome.

Apologies in advance to starman.

Edited by PaddingtonBear

We've had several hire boat holidays over the past ten years, and we've also taken out boats borrowed from forum members.

Next week we are off again on another trip, again provided by a forum member who has kindly offered us the use of their boat.

We've had torrential rain for two weeks solid on one of our annual May hire boat trips, but this is the first time we've been out on our own in the winter. We can't wait!

Are we mad? We're really hoping for snow and frost...

I guess this trip will sort out the men from the boys!

Hopefully one day we'll win the lottery, because at the moment it's the only way I can see us getting a boat of our own.

In the meantime, we remain immensely grateful for the members on here who have seen fit to lend out their pride and joy to us!

They know who they are....

Janet

It never ceases to amaze me as to how naive (subsitute stupid) some people can be.

We are nearin' the end of our two week hire to see if we could cope with livin' on a boat as the winter draws in and with each other in a confined space.

Several folk have said how sensible and then proceed to tell us about couples who sell up lock, stock and hogshead to live on a nb without ever havin' spent more than a day on one, only to discover that they hate it!

We also helped a couple through Bunbury locks on a share boat only to have the wife confide in me that she never wants to do it again (it was their first time out).

So why do they do it? *puzzled look*

We intend to spend another couple of weeks on a semi trad (we're on a trad at the mo) some time in either January or February.

Makes sense to me of tryin' before buyin'; could save a lot of dosh and/or one's marriage!

Tullz

off to put cottage pie in oven!

without wanting to offend, do you realise how smug you sound?

I have to admit to being what you class as "substitute stupid" your sweeping generalisation of all the 'idiots' who attempt this way of life blind is I am sure meant to be sage advice, but have a thought for the folk who have considered. Before this I have never been out on a narrowboat, I have sold my house, and am having a new narrowboat built, but My Goodness! Im looking forward to it! Its my life, my cash, my decision, based on solid facts gathered from this site and many others. I will never again have an opportunity such as this to create a whole new way of life for myself, to be totally responsible for myself, to own my own solid piece of real estate, never before been anybody else's, and all utterly, utterly, new and exhilarating. Now... imagine what that is going to feel like if it works? Still smug?

If I discover that all the 'told you so's' and the 'prophets of doom' are correct then at least I will have had the experience and found it out for myself and I still firmly believe that dreams based on nothing substantial can turn out to be everything that is hoped for. If everybody did the sensible thing first would the greatest excitement of discovering new experiences ever be felt, would the worlds greatest entrepreneurs have ever left the earth and flown? Sometimes its not about 'sensible' its about jumping after reading about how to land. ...... even knowing that some people have landed badly ...bungee jumpers will tell you what that feels like.

Please, please by all means warn of the dangers but don't call us stupid? Ive read the disasters and commiserated with the folk who have lost dreams but I will not be daunted till I daunt myself. There is always balance, for every sunk boat there are solid strong floats.

In two years time, look for me and I will either sell you a fantastic boat for a bargain or we'll meet at a banter and swap stories, but don't ever call me stupid ...........and I promise not call you smug?

I want a bedroom like ken Barlow's bit of fluff, when he went to give her some 'TLC' he just strolled out of camera shot into what seemed a palatial boudoir :lol:

You need a barge - kingsize bed and access to both sides, no folding, sliding or crawling over.

Palatial boudoir in fact.....

I have to admit to being what you class as "substitute stupid" your sweeping generalisation of all the 'idiots' who attempt this way of life blind is I am sure meant to be sage advice, but have a thought for the folk who have considered. Before this I have never been out on a narrowboat, I have sold my house, and am having a new narrowboat built, but My Goodness! Im looking forward to it! Its my life, my cash, my decision, based on solid facts gathered from this site and many others. I will never again have an opportunity such as this to create a whole new way of life for myself, to be totally responsible for myself, to own my own solid piece of real estate, never before been anybody else's, and all utterly, utterly, new and exhilarating. Now... imagine what that is going to feel like if it works? Still smug?

If I discover that all the 'told you so's' and the 'prophets of doom' are correct then at least I will have had the experience and found it out for myself and I still firmly believe that dreams based on nothing substantial can turn out to be everything that is hoped for. If everybody did the sensible thing first would the greatest excitement of discovering new experiences ever be felt, would the worlds greatest entrepreneurs have ever left the earth and flown? Sometimes its not about 'sensible' its about jumping after reading about how to land. ...... even knowing that some people have landed badly ...bungee jumpers will tell you what that feels like.

Please, please by all means warn of the dangers but don't call us stupid? Ive read the disasters and commiserated with the folk who have lost dreams but I will not be daunted till I daunt myself. There is always balance, for every sunk boat there are solid strong floats.

In two years time, look for me and I will either sell you a fantastic boat for a bargain or we'll meet at a banter and swap stories, but don't ever call me stupid ...........and I promise not call you smug?

That sounds erm, unwise, ill considered, less than sensible. Sorry, but whatever the result, a change off lifestyle like that if you really have never been on a narrowboat doesn't make you stupid, but it does mean you are doing a stupid thing.

That sounds erm, unwise, ill considered, less than sensible. Sorry, but whatever the result, a change off lifestyle like that if you really have never been on a narrowboat doesn't make you stupid, but it does mean you are doing a stupid thing.

In your opinion ..please.

Well, we are soon to go "live aboard", burnin' our bridges by selling the house, bike, scooter, rifles etc.

However, our research has been over at least a 2 year period. Firstly, we are caravanners. Similar to a boat in so far as you carry every drop of water to the caravan, you carry every drop of waste water and sewage away from the caravan. Electric is from a battery, and mains is available on some sites at a low ampage. Ok, the caravan does not roll so much in the wind, and moorings do not break at night that often. But it can still be bloody cold in winter. One year we went out for Christmas week. Left my wellies outside over night. Went out for a pee in the morning, slipped into my boots and walked away. Unfortunatly, the soles of the boots remained frozen in the mud - cold feet.

Boats - I have enjoyed boats since the age of 9 from holidays on the Broads, I did 4 years in the Merchant navy and got thoroughly seasick. I have owned seagoing sailing boats and motor cruisers. From the narrow boat point of view, we have had a great 2 weeks holiday in May, 2 of us on a 57ft hire boat. Warm and great. We had a one week holiday on a 32ft boat, where the bed was a matchbox, the shower was a wardrobe and the heating was a boatmans stove that had been adapted for hirers so it was not a fire hazard. However, is was a obnoxious gas hazard, and would not stay alight for more than 67.2 minutes at a time, average. We hired in October, and the canal got to be a little frozen.

Despite all this, we still want to go ahead and sell up and live on a boat. BUT, we also realise this is an abnormal desire, and it might all end in tears.

However, being a member of this forum, we have learnt that 97.5% of the regular boat inhabitants on the canals are kind, generous, friendly peeps. (So if you are one of the remaining 2.5% please change)

Everything in life is a risk. The inevitable conclusion is death, the only variable is when. So do what you feel is right. But when it goes wrong, blame nobody but yourself - it was your decision.

Edited by jelunga

I enjoyed reading that

fair play to you Tanis - I hope your dreams come to fruition and I wish I had your courage