How do I find a good boat builder?

Lady Muck

Featured Posts

Can anyone recommend any boat builders in the South? I am looking to get a shell built and do the fit out myself, but trawling the internet is not proving very fruitful!

I am based in Reading so ideally looking for someone local but Oxford, Newbury and surrounding areas are an option (close enough so I can get there easily to visit).

I have had some success in my search, but before I go arranging visits and getting carried away, is there anyone I really should try to see?

My list of candidates (so far):

• Bossoms (Oxford)
  • W Howards Traditional Boat builders (Streatly)
  • Neil Garside (Streatley)
  • Better Boating (Caversham)
  • Newbury boat Co. (Newbury)
  • Wootens (Cookham Deane)

I haven't contacted any of these yet so some may well have ceased trading!

I have also spoken to Will Trickett Boats (nr. Devizes) but feel I should talk to more than one builder before handing over my hard-earned. Any suggestions/advice greatefully received.

(apologies if this should have gone into another thread, new to the forum.)

????????! Neither of the links you have posted have anything to do with shell building.

we are looking to buy a new narrowboat, but are worried about giving money to a boat builder with the current climate, if they go bust do we lose everything? how long does it take to build a boat? we may just go for a high spec used one

Re the money, there are some builders associations: Canal Boatbuilders association and British Marine Federation. It's worth checking with them exactly what their members are bound by.

There are some builders who want only a deposit, others want stage payments. We went with one of the latter and it worked fine.

But just be careful!

????????! Neither of the links you have posted have anything to do with shell building.

No, but Bossoms do build boats so a phone call won't do any harm.

I've only searched by googling for boat builders, and these ones were listed locally. Doesn't mean they'll do what I want but I might as well give them a ring to find out more before dismissing them simply because the website doesn't say they are shell builders.

I'm open to suggestions, even if that turns out to be "look further afield". Looking more locally just seems more logical as it's easier to visit.

No, but Bossoms do build boats so a phone call won't do any harm.

I've only searched by googling for boat builders, and these ones were listed locally. Doesn't mean they'll do what I want but I might as well give them a ring to find out more before dismissing them simply because the website doesn't say they are shell builders.

I'm open to suggestions, even if that turns out to be "look further afield". Looking more locally just seems more logical as it's easier to visit.

Bossoms used to build boats, last family member to do it retired in 1945. They were, however, one of the only Thames boatbuilders still about that displayed at the First London Boat Show. If they do still build boats then they wont be shells, most probably sailing dingies or similar. (a quick scan of the website gave me all this info!)

And highlighted in red on the quote is the advice most people are going to give you.

Bossoms used to build boats, last family member to do it retired in 1945. They were, however, one of the only Thames boatbuilders still about that displayed at the First London Boat Show. If they do still build boats then they wont be shells, most probably sailing dingies or similar. (a quick scan of the website gave me all this info!)

And highlighted in red on the quote is the advice most people are going to give you.

I also looked at the web site. The part that says "Bossoms is one of the few boat builders still in existence that exhibited at the first ever London Boat Show" lead me to believe they still made boats.

Maybe I should have said "these are some of the people I intend to investigate further", I haven't contacted anyone yet and it's by no means an exhaustive list, hence asking for advice.

we are looking to buy a new narrowboat, but are worried about giving money to a boat builder with the current climate, if they go bust do we lose everything? how long does it take to build a boat? we may just go for a high spec used one

I only paid a small deposit and the balance once the boat was completed and delivered. Admittedly the shell had been built but it was the size I wanted and the layout but the internal fit out was 3 1/2 mths. The shell had been painted but they repainted it for me as I wanted a different colour, there was an oak ceiling in place but again they changed that to a cream tongue and groove and I choose 2 bedrooms and all the internal things like shower, kitchen tops, tiles and flooring etc. I have to say it was a kind of "off the peg" boat but with various personal options and touches. I am really happy with the boat I have so I would say speak to the buiders as you may be surprised.

It's not always just about how long it takes to build the boat, but often down to how long you may wait until there is a free slot for your boat. This varies between builders of course, some have long waiting times, some can offer you a slot straight away..........

It's not always just about how long it takes to build the boat, but often down to how long you may wait until there is a free slot for your boat. This varies between builders of course, some have long waiting times, some can offer you a slot straight away..........

From experience, I would go for the one with the long waiting list. The ones that can offer an immediate build slot could very well be available for a reason. Beware!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the advice. Having widend my search and done a bit more digging I have found a couple of other options for builders within visiting distance. So my list of people to talk to is now:

*ABC Boat building at Hilperton Marina, Devizes.

*Kingsground Narrowboats near Bicester.

*RLL Boats at Keynsham (Between Bristol and Bath).

*Trickett Boats in Devizes.

*Viking Canal Boats who have an office in London but boats are built in Poland.

If anyone has any experience (good or bad) with any or all of the above then I'd appreciate hearing about it. Also if I've missed anyone within about 2 hours of Reading worth talking to then I'd appreciate any info.

I've spoken to Trickett Boats, they are very friendly, knowledgeable, and willing to discuss ideas etc. They seem like a good choice, their work seems to be of a high standard, but of course with all of this comes a higher price.

I found an old thread on this here forum where there are some less than happy experiences with RLL, which is a little discouraging!

Also I think that Viking can be struck off the list as I'd much rather support British builders, but leaving it up in case I get an overwhelming positive response that might change my mind.

Thanks in advance! :)

If you are going to Devizes, do speak to Devizes Narrowboat Builders. They have a rudimentary web site which, I think, gives their phone number. They built our last boat, they were not expensive, their attitude was excellent and it was a good honest fit-out. The boss' name is Tim Wickenden.

• Greenie 1

If you are going to Devizes, do speak to Devizes Narrowboat Builders. They have a rudimentary web site which, I think, gives their phone number. They built our last boat, they were not expensive, their attitude was excellent and it was a good honest fit-out. The boss' name is Tim Wickenden.

Thanks Athy they sound good, do you have a link for their website? I have tried searching but only finding business listings that confirm the info you've given but don't provide much else :( time for me to pick up the phone perhaps...

• 2 months later...

I watch the lads at Aqua Narrowboats fit boats out - they are top dollar - excellent - also having just bought an Amber boat - I had some work done by Martin at Evesham Marina - he is first class and I have to say the general fit out of these boats in my humble opinion is superb!!

• 1 month later...

I probably fall into the category of "not knowing enough" however I did do my research after helping my ex partner re-fit his boat.Having sold my house I wanted to live on a boat as I had fallen in love with the way of life. I looked around and spoke to boat builders and owners and then researched the web. I will admit to not knowing anything about engines/wiring/plumbing but I knew this was what I wanted and luckily I found a builder who helped me understand certain things (others I found didn't take me too seriously) and who can up with solutions to the issues I had. As a result my lovely home will be going into the water on the 27th.

I have seen her being built, turned up unannounced, changed my mind on somethings, requested that certain things be fitted so that when I can afford them later they can easily be put in. My builder has happily accomodated my requests plus added things that I thought would be out of my price bracket. I also only put £1000 deposit down and will pay the rest on completion.

Never have I felt that any question I asked would be stupid, when I was unsure they gave me alternative solutions. I have found all the staff to be helpful from answering emails really quickly, changing the spec of things (when I changed my mind) and by explaining things when I went to see the build. They were also very helpful with questions I had that had nothing to do with the build ie Marinas/ insurance / satellite tv and mobile communications etc

I would recommend Alan and his team from Collingwood Boats who have been a dream to work with and I can't wait till she's in the water :D

Hi loubyscooby,

How did it go?

We have a boat on order from Collingwood so would welcome any recommendation's / suggestions...

I have a couple of questions for you:

Did you use a surveyor (and who if so)?

Did you have it shot blasted prior to painting?

Thanks,

If my brother used this website he would sing the praises of Blue Haven Marine, Rugby, who fitted out ALPHA. Ten years later nothing has fallen off, and its in great condition, particularly the Amtico floor they fitted. It was a Roger Farrington (Farringdon?) hull.

• 3 months later...

Hi all you knowledgeable folk, has anyone ever heard of Andycraft as a boat builder ?

They rent a large shed at Debdale, have seen several of their boats in build and they look well put together, had some work done by them fabricated a bespoke water tank, metal cratch etc . They had a boat they built and fitted out featured recently in one of the canal mags. Have been around a few years , worth having a chat to I believe. Also for comparison Wol at Debdale marina is an excellent joiner, I would say that as he fitted out our boat.

Yes. Not a high-profile firm but long-established, probably been going since the 1980s - which is a rare longevity for a narrowboat builder. It has been noticeable since I got into boating in the 1990s that the firms who yell the loudest often sink the fastest.

There is one of their n/ bs on Apollo Duck at the moment.

• 2 months later...

Hi all My boat was made originally by tyler wilson and then fitted out by little brown mouse ( now defunct ) it was built to the owners spec which was strange to say the least!! I bought it at two years old and had it stretched by Tyler Wilson and the layout changed around by Anthony M. whilst both of them were a bit slow the work was excellent the stretch made the boat a much better looking beast Johny designed on the back of a piece of steel!! The interior is now a pleasure the wheelhouse is a joy as it is double glazed and insulated. Would I use them again Yes as the boat just goes so well and is a great place to live.

Peter

Hi all My boat was made originally by tyler wilson and then fitted out by little brown mouse ( now defunct ) it was built to the owners spec which was strange to say the least!! I bought it at two years old and had it stretched by Tyler Wilson and the layout changed around by Anthony M. whilst both of them were a bit slow the work was excellent the stretch made the boat a much better looking beast Johny designed on the back of a piece of steel!! The interior is now a pleasure the wheelhouse is a joy as it is double glazed and insulated. Would I use them again Yes as the boat just goes so well and is a great place to live.

Peter

• 2 months later...

Not quite on topic, but sort of...........

A word from a decent boat builder, to prospective customers of ours or any other boatbuilder:

If you have found a good builder, please don't then go off and purchase such items as satelite systems, and whilst doing so, pay for the providing company to fit it to your new build, during build. Either trust your builder with doing it,(by all means provide them with the goods if you wish) or have it done later.

It is frustrating to have another company come in whenever they feel like it...usually at the end of the build, and have to work around their job, especially when they come half equipped, forget half the items, borrow your tools, stop you working, and delay you, chat incessantly about how unusual it is to work on a boat, etc etc. You may think you are doing your builder a favour, but any decent builder/fitter, will be quite competent to do such work, and will do it at the appropriate time, probably with less fuss and time wasted! Honestly! (and it likely won't cost you extra silly amounts of money either, depending on your builder!)

Just today's thought............ :)

• Greenie 1

Just today's thought............ :)

A good 'thought' too!

Decent common sense advice is well worth reading, especially for anyone in the new boat build market. A decent boat builder would probably accommodate 'others' working on or in his project during the build process, but also wouldn't thank you for the inconvenience caused.

We found that rather than dictate to our boat builder how we wanted the fit-out, we persuaded him that our ideas would work and any additional items such as an isolator transformer would be supplied by us but installed by his fitters. It makes sense.

A good boat builder is one that will not compromise on quality or safety but will accommodate and develop your ideas. As I had time I sought and purchased specific items like sinks, tiles, white goods (once spec agreed with builder) but these were just delivered. You also need to embrace the theory of elasticity as far as timescale and budget is concerned.