What do you do ...

Tullz

Featured Posts

Another dumb question from a wannabe CCr

Out of curiosity, what businesses do you run from your boats?

I vaguely remember someone doin something in shoes (I've always coveted a pair of Jimmy Choos but with my hoofs - forget it!) or was that a dream? :lol:

And does anyone know what the H&S and Enviromental Health issues are with running a food based business from a boat are?

Like I said in an earlier post, I have plenty more *dumb* questions.

Tullz

Tullz, No idea on the rules and regs, but work to the same standard as on land would seem --------logical.

re food based business.

seen the cafe boat at Braunston

and on our travels boats that claim they make fudge/jam and sell from the side door and also seen the cheese boat,

from the range they only retail... but its a business.

Then there are the Cafe boats here and there (little venice) and hotel boats..

i assume ( always dangerous) that they pass muster some where etc, but no idea if they have alcohol licences..

but then again seen many day boats with alocoholic picnics that have been part of the hire deal etc..

And also recall a BW advert for expressions of interest from operators of narrow boat around Birmingham tourist spots to sell ice creams and similar aout a year ago...

keep researching....

Quite a few people use their boats as workshops/studios, rather than retailling on the towpath.

I've met Jewellers, artists, writers, musicians, teachers, reiki practicioners, chiropodists etc along with the more traditional canal trades like electricians, Gas fitters, diesel fitters, welders, fender/rope makers etc

Most are running pin money businesses, but some are very much 'proper' vat paying concerns. And as long as the canals are open & watered i feel with the internet allowing remote sales where you can market a product and the supplier will send stuff direct to your customer, many more free thinkers will operate a business from afloat.

Lap top, mobile internet connection, and a good idea is all that is needed

Good luck

Paul

I used to run my international assassins agency, from my boat, but it's so much easier, with faster internet speeds, now I'm back on dry land.

:lol: but we are running a half-price seasonal offer, atm...."Whack your spouse for Xmas".

Are you becoming some weird kind of Zealot? What with your signature and your avatar and all

Richard

Perhaps I'm just a passive agnostic

Swmbo told me to do the irony, today.

So your signature sets out to disprove the existence of God, and your avatar declares not on his existence but his location!

Richard

Oh, perhaps these are polytheistic statements about different gods, perhaps even including the great god SWMBO...

Edited by RLWP

So your signature sets out to disprove the existence of God, and your avatar declares not on his existence but his location!

My signature does not challenge the existence of a creator (though commonsense indicates that the concept is a bit silly) it merely suggests that if such a creator still has any interest, in his flawed product, then he is either not very nice or not very competent.

My avatar does not say where he is but, if he exists, where he is from.

He almost certainly moved South, for work.

Does therefore, the expression "god of the gaps", refer to the gap at Watford?

I hadn't heard this phrase before, but having googled it I'm very glad about the policy I have about walking on pavements.

Richard

I did think it was the bears that were going to get me, this is worse!

He almost certainly moved South, for work.

So the Northern parts are now godless?

Richard

I used to run my international assassins agency, from my boat, but it's so much easier, with faster internet speeds, now I'm back on dry land.

:lol: but we are running a half-price seasonal offer, atm...."Whack your spouse for Xmas".

M'mmm, when I was made redundant a few years ago I toyed with that idea as well, being an excellent pistol and rifle shot!!. But decided the risk of being caught was too high, so I learnt to drive a bus instead. Greater opportunity for chaos!!

Swmbo told me to do the irony, today. :lol:

I'm bound to get boll@cked for this and I should have asked ages ago

carlt what does swmbo stand for? The only thing I could come up with was some women must be obeyed!

:lol:

Tullz