What do you do with your ash?

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

Following on from the topic on solid fuel - I just wonder what the correct method should be of disposing of waste ash. We get very little ash, because we only burn pure Anthracite, but one can hardly miss the huge piles of ash that people get from processed fuels - these often adorn the towpath hedgerows and it seems to me that this practice must be wrong. We put our ash in an old 'fire bucket' and take it to the waste disposal point when we empty the loo - obviously by this time it has cooled down. Nevertheless, I have to admit that when we see a puddle in the middle of the towpath (where we all have to walk), we sometimes fill it with ash and cinders from the grate - perhaps this is also wrong.

Following on from the topic on solid fuel - I just wonder what the correct method should be of disposing of waste ash. We get very little ash, because we only burn pure Anthracite, but one can hardly miss the huge piles of ash that people get from processed fuels - these often adorn the towpath hedgerows and it seems to me that this practice must be wrong. We put our ash in an old 'fire bucket' and take it to the waste disposal point when we empty the loo - obviously by this time it has cooled down. Nevertheless, I have to admit that when we see a puddle in the middle of the towpath (where we all have to walk), we sometimes fill it with ash and cinders from the grate - perhaps this is also wrong.

is ash good for compost? Im thinking along the same lines as enterprising 'Christine'.... she could probably sell it? :lol:

Years ago at the Great Central Railway, we had an arrangement where BW collected all the ash from our steam locomotives. I never did find out what they did with it but they took away several hundred tons of the stuff . . .

AFAIK pure wood ash is good for plant growth.

No sure about putting it in puddles though. I think I would rather just mud on my boots than mud and ash.

The ash from coal products is a bit different - and it is far more suitable for making paths than it is for making compost!

Years ago at the Great Central Railway, we had an arrangement where BW collected all the ash from our steam locomotives. I never did find out what they did with it but they took away several hundred tons of the stuff . . .

Used with stop planks - dropped into the water, it is drawn into the gaps between the planks from the 'wet' side and creates a seal.

I last used it at the dry dock at Hockley Port to seal the small leaks on the guillotine gate.

I last used it at the dry dock at Hockley Port to seal the small leaks on the guillotine gate.

And that MUST have been a while back (she weeps, mourning the demise of the HP dry dock)!

I put mine in a bucket on the back deck and throw out with the rubbish. On a river I'd probably throw it in.

We bag ours up and stick it in the rubbish point. There's a big sign saying "No Ash" but it's that or the cut...

Used to use it on potholes in the tow path but as it's flagged in these parts that won't get us far however it works a treat in clay, it seems to bind forming a very hard crust, less so on a really muddy path tho.

Once I've trimmed the new ash pan down to size we'll leave the ash bucket on the back deck but for now it's next to the fire.

Ash accumulated from burning timber is beneficial to plant growth where an increase in alkalinity is required but timber that has had preservative treatment such as old fences etc will contain arsenic and are classed as hazardous waste. coal ash varies in constituents depending on how thorough the burn. suffice to say that without in depth analasis of the ash any coal residue could contain dyoxins and other carcenogenic materials. just the facts , do with them what you will, {the facts that is not the ash}

I like the idea of putting it down the elsan disposal or isn't that what you meant?

Sue

Am I the only one that shoves it straight into the cut and doesn't give a monkeys?

When this came up a couple of years ago I was putting it in a galvanised dustbin outside and then bagging it up and chucking it in the bins.

I was told that I was wasting my time as it was probably worse in landfill than in the canal, so now I just chuck it straight in.

No doubt someone will tell me I should be putting it in the bins again (no hedgerows around here, we're on pontoons).

Edited by blackrose

When this came up a couple of years ago I was putting it in a galvanised dustbin outside and then bagging it up and chucking it in the bins.

I was told that I was wasting my time as it was probably worse in landfill than in the canal, so now I just chuck it straight in.

No doubt someone will tell me I should be putting it in the bins again (no hedgerows around here, we're on pontoons).

No, no. Save it for the winter then put it on the pontoons when it's frosty!

Richard

Note: setting fire to your pontoon is considered bad form.

Setting fire to your plastic bin with hot ashes is also considered bad form, as my Brother-in-law found out...

Richard

And your plastic back door

We produce about a bin liner full every other day and the majority of that goes into the rubbish points around the system. Some say no-ash but most read no hot ash, which as its come there in a bin liner its clearly not hot. Although often warm.

Occasionally if the stoves ash needs emptying on the move that goes cutwards and occasionally if we're not due to pass a rubbish point for a day or two the ash goes in the hedge row, spread out, near but not on. Which i dont think is the end of the world. I have also put it on muddy clay based towpaths too as there enough 10mm lumps of coal and clinker to work well.

Daniel