What do you do with your ash?

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

I believe this practice may be prohibited by BW - isn't there something in the navigation rules or license conditions saying that you must not discharge anything from your boat into the water except waste water from the sinks?

I suspect this is another case where if you apply the bye-laws by the letter you cannot even discharge your sink, shower or bath water into the cut.

From a quick squint all I can see is.....

Throwing of Rubbish Into The Canals.

No person shall throw or discharge into or on to any canal any animal (whether alive or dead) or rubbish, stones or any other kind of material whatsoever or to deposit such materials so as to be washed or carried into any canal by floods or other means, or in any wise cause obstruction in any canal.

If you take "or any kind of other material whatsoever" literally, then even discharge of clean water, let along potato peelings or stale bread would seem to be prohibited.

I can't immediately see anything that talks about discharge of "grey waters", but it is interesting that these are the bye-laws in use when many hire boats had sea toilets that put macerated sewage untreated into the cut!

I suspect this is another case where if you apply the bye-laws by the letter you cannot even discharge your sink, shower or bath water into the cut.

According the the excellent talk I attended last night, any boat on the Middle Level without a horse and a hailing mast (whatever that is) is breaking the rules, and navigating on a Sunday is still a criminal offence.

Thanks to Iain Smith, head honcho at the MLC and Cambridge IWA for a fascinating evening.

MP.

Edit for thinko: _without_ a horse ....

Edited by MoominPapa

Just do what I do, take the ash bucket, stand on the *ss end of your boat and throw it over your little bit of garden - of course its important to wait for a really strong gust of wind, whereby ash flies back into your face, covers your UGG boots, the back of the boat and has the Much Beloved's blood pressure racing - oh the humanity !!!

I stick a few skins together and crumble my 'ash in or break out my sacred chillum. Double 0 is prefered if I can get it, but with the rise of the evil soap bar a proper bit of 'ash is getting hard to find, so usually settle for something hydroponically produced.

Just do what I do, take the ash bucket, stand on the *ss end of your boat and throw it over your little bit of garden - of course its important to wait for a really strong gust of wind, whereby ash flies back into your face, covers your UGG boots, the back of the boat and has the Much Beloved's blood pressure racing - oh the humanity !!!

Did I never tell you the story about Lesley?

Lesley, a good boating friend of ours used to have a boat with her partner, moored at Adamsons Wharf.

When Lesley died of a brain tumour, the wake was held on board her boat, our boat, and another friends boat, and some weeks later, her partner invited us to come along to scatter the ashes.

As Lesley had loved the canals, we elected to scatter the ashes at a favourite spot of hers, close to her home in Mossley, and conveniently close to a pub.

So, a small group of us gathered at Roaches lock on a tranquil sunny day, and her partner proceeded to scatter the ashes into the canal -just at the moment when a freak gust of wind came along, and blew the ashes back onto the assembled crowd.

She would, I know for certain, have howled with laughter at the thought of us all having to brush her ashes out of our clothes and hair, and having to retire to the pub for a pint to wash the dust from our mouths.

I stick a few skins together and crumble my 'ash in or break out my sacred chillum. Double 0 is prefered if I can get it, but with the rise of the evil soap bar a proper bit of 'ash is getting hard to find, so usually settle for something hydroponically produced.

I think you are missing an H from the begining of your ash

According the the excellent talk I attended last night, any boat on the Middle Level without a horse and a hailing mast (whatever that is) is breaking the rules, and navigating on a Sunday is still a criminal offence.

Thanks to Iain Smith, head honcho at the MLC and Cambridge IWA for a fascinating evening.

MP.

Edit for thinko: _without_ a horse ....

Haling is towing surely as haling way is towpath?*

Sounds like a wonderful talk and now I know why the Ducks and their friends were so certain it was verboten to navigate after dark despite no one having told us and having done it back from the George more than once.

Same root presumably as hauling/bowhauling

Edited by WarriorWoman

Haling is towing surely as haling way is towpath?*

Ah yes, that would be it.

Sounds like a wonderful talk and now I know why the Ducks and their friends were so certain it was verboten to navigate after dark despite no one having told us and having done it back from the George more than once.

That one wasn't mentioned. No doubt the bylaws are on the web somewhere.

Other interesting stuff:

The MLC can (and do) take as much water as they like from the Nene at Stanground, without an abstraction license. This is compensation for the loss of the Nene which, after all, used to flow past Lode's End, Benwick and March.

The southern parts of the Fens Waterways Link project seem to be dead.

The Great Fen Project is very much alive.

The MLC would like to charge a license fee, but to do so requires primary legislation they can't afford a private bill, and DEFRA keep dropping the ball on getting clauses inserted in other legislation. The plan would be to have a license which covers the ML, Nene and Ouse with revenue-sharing between the MLC and the EA in the same way as happens now with the EA and the Cam Commissioners. I didn't ask if there would be a cheaper "ML-only" option.

Oliver Cromwell was an important figure in the drainage of the Fens.

Nobody seems to know why Lode's End lock, built in the 1980's, wasn't built 72ft long.

Morton's Leam has a bend in the middle because a tower was built there and two teams dug towards it. The tower was in the wrong place.

MP.

Ah yes, that would be it.

The southern parts of the Fens Waterways Link project seem to be dead.

The Great Fen Project is very much alive.

Morton's Leam has a bend in the middle because a tower was built there and two teams dug towards it. The tower was in the wrong place.

MP.

The southern part of the link will be the last to get completed,the serveys for the second part (middle section) are due to be completed by the middle of Jan.

By then they should have hopefully got some funding

The southern part of the link will be the last to get completed,the serveys for the second part (middle section) are due to be completed by the middle of Jan.

By then they should have hopefully got some funding

That's great. By the southern part, I meant the link from the Middle Level through to the Ouse and Hundred-foot drain, and the changes at Salter's Lode to avoid the tidal section. There was no information about the stuff north of the Nene (except that Carr Dyke can't be used).

MP.

• 3 weeks later...

My mate sticks ash on his garden to upset the slugs,soot does a good number on them too.I dont think shaking cold ash into the greenery is so bad as the rain just washes it in anyway and were not short of rain most times.If you are going to put it in a bin then make sure its cold first, I know of at least one wheelie bin fire due to that [not me though]

• 2 weeks later...
Well actually I was asking Eastern as he doesn't seem to have left many alternatives, perhaps he suggests eating it - or maybe he owns a landfill site.

I fill in towpath holes with mine.

Oh dear! I hope he dosen't eat it - that could be quite dangerous unless you allow it to cool first :lol:

Well, in this weather, putting coal ash and cinders on the towpath walkway probably helps . . .

aha was waiting for that, I an putting on the steps down to our boat, saves me seeing my *ss like I did last week.