Lighting your fire

Featured Posts

During the dark evenings I light the living area of my boat with lots of tea lights because I love how they look and the gentle light they give. I always put them out before I go to bed with a 'putouter' then in the morning I replace them with new ones ready for the evening after work. If the fire is a bit low and needs a shove into life I put a handful of these spent tealights on the embers, put a couple of sticks in and then a bit of coal. livens the fire up a treat for the early morning before I shut it all down again for the day and have a warm boat when I come in from work.

That way, the fire-lighter and kindling consume most of the oxygen before it gets to the coal and as the coal is heated it produces gas or smoke which, without sufficient oxygen will not burn properly. The result is unnecessary pollution of the atmosphere and most probably tar stains on your paintwork.

I think it depends on the design of the stove. My Puffin, for example, is fitted with a back boiler. This is shaped to act in much the same way as a "brick arch" on a steam loco, aiding combustion.

You're far more likely to get tar on the roof through burning wood, and it will happen irrespective of how the fire is lit or shaped or whether the wood appears to be burning cleanly.

• 2 weeks later...

I lit my Torgem this morning for the first time since the end of October so everything was cold and slightly damp. I used one firelighter on top of some unburned fuel from last time, a handful of kindling, a small shovel full of "Blaze" smokeless fuel and two or three small pieces of seasoned wood. It lit straight away with a match and burned nicely for the three or four hours I was at the boat.

fire.jpg

I don't have any trouble lighting my stove, but haven't had much success keeping it in yet. It's very small, custom made for a small space on a small boat! I've been mostly using logs but they burn up much too quickly - I have to have them burning quite fiercely to get enough heat. I've tried wood coal and I usually have a few embers left by morning but not enough heat. Everyone keeps recommending peat briquettes to me, but I've not found them much better than the wood coal and I also don't want Guardian readers looking down their noses at me :lol:

Not quite answering the question but.....

I have lit our open fire at home for as long as I can remember by a hand-pump bottle with petrol and diesel in it... OK OK - before jaws drop too far, the mix is a small proportion of petrol to the diesel - maybe about 10% / 90% ..... I lay some kindling sticks down lying one way, then a layer lying the other way, give a quick spray with the sprayer, cover with coal or sometimes dry logs and light a corner. The mix is such that the kindling will light, and creep along the sticks - if it "creeps" too quickly then there is a bit too much petrol in the mix and vice versa....

It usually catches and progresses into a self-sustaining fire pretty quickly, but if it shows signs of "flagging" a few more squirts livens it up !

Astute readers will realise it is quite important to not have too much petrol in the mix !!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

More recently I have been using Kerosene, as it is about as good, saves the mixing (and potentially getting it wrong !). Trouble is the sprayer I have been using was meant for water-based fluids and slowly the internals of the pump mechanism seemed to have dissolved and it stops working (after about a year though).

The adjustable spray jet is set to a single stream - not a finely atomised mist !! This also makes the normally benign Kerosene seriously lively :lol:;) ;)

OK - I was a bit of a Pyromaniac when I was young and it lingers on in later life :o:lol:

Nick B)

Not quite answering the question but.....

I have lit our open fire at home for as long as I can remember by a hand-pump bottle with petrol and diesel in it... OK OK - before jaws drop too far, the mix is a small proportion of petrol to the diesel - maybe about 10% / 90% ..... I lay some kindling sticks down lying one way, then a layer lying the other way, give a quick spray with the sprayer, cover with coal or sometimes dry logs and light a corner. The mix is such that the kindling will light, and creep along the sticks - if it "creeps" too quickly then there is a bit too much petrol in the mix and vice versa....

It usually catches and progresses into a self-sustaining fire pretty quickly, but if it shows signs of "flagging" a few more squirts livens it up !

Astute readers will realise it is quite important to not have too much petrol in the mix !!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

More recently I have been using Kerosene, as it is about as good, saves the mixing (and potentially getting it wrong !). Trouble is the sprayer I have been using was meant for water-based fluids and slowly the internals of the pump mechanism seemed to have dissolved and it stops working (after about a year though).

The adjustable spray jet is set to a single stream - not a finely atomised mist !! This also makes the normally benign Kerosene seriously lively :lol:;) ;)

OK - I was a bit of a Pyromaniac when I was young and it lingers on in later life :o:lol:

Nick B)

Lumme!

Don't try this at home, girls and boys!

Petrol for explosions and diesel for keeping burning clothes going nicely.

N

Although ive used both diesal and diesal petrol mixes on lighting outdoor fires i would certainly stuggle to advise its use within a narrowboat partiularly from a spray gun that may produce a find mist intentionally or otherwise.

- If you spray it on a cold fire a light it you may well never have a problem, but partiularly if you start spraying it on a warm or partially lit fire the effects can be quite spectaular. Espcially if the mixture begins to evaporate before it ignites.

As i have mentioned, we do use a dirty white sprit mix (about 20-30% oil with white sprit) and the same goes for this. Treat with much respect.

Daniel

Although ive used both diesal and diesal petrol mixes on lighting outdoor fires i would certainly stuggle to advise its use within a narrowboat partiularly from a spray gun that may produce a find mist intentionally or otherwise.

- If you spray it on a cold fire a light it you may well never have a problem, but partiularly if you start spraying it on a warm or partially lit fire the effects can be quite spectaular. Espcially if the mixture begins to evaporate before it ignites.

As i have mentioned, we do use a dirty white sprit mix (about 20-30% oil with white sprit) and the same goes for this. Treat with much respect.

Daniel

For those who haven't used a sprayer before and may be a bit nervous then I agree for safety stick to diesel only - and keep the jet of diesel a jet - not a fine spray, as thats what will liven up things !!

Now experimenting with a Killer-spray full of petrol - wave if you see me passing by overhead !! :lol: :lol: :lol: ( Only Joking :lol:;) )

No - Diesel is safer people !

Nick

• 1 month later...
Im with Chertsey girl on the oily rag if Ive got one handy.........

:lol: but how did Madcat know, 6 weeks in advance, that Warriorwoman was going to change her forum name?

If you mean what you think I mean about what you are being when you have these failed attempts, I'd say it's unfortunate choice of word, frankly. :lol:

Couldn't agree more!

Now,

I'm prob being a spaz but having tried to get the fire going using all recomended ways as soon as i close the door, it dies out.

Ive tried wood and coal, fire lighters ect, any ideas?

If the fire fails to burn it can only be because one of the three basic requirements is absent - these are:

Fuel, heat and air (oxygen)

Each needs to be available and, typically, the symptoms described above will indicate a shortage of adequate air to stimulate burning. This often occurs when people light a fire by placing paper and wood kindling or firelighters beneath the coal - the coal is starved of air and cannot burn because all the oxygen has already been consumed by the combustible materials below. As a result the coal is merely warmed and produces excessive smoke but does not ignite.

If the fire is being lighted correctly with the kindling burning above the bed of coals, then the cause may be an inadequate bottom draught through the grate - so I would be check the grate and ensure that there is an adequate air supply through it - this problem can be the result of an accumulation of ash or clinker or just poor design.

Edited by NB Alnwick

Now,

I'm prob being a spaz not doing this quite right but having tried to get the fire going using all recomended ways as soon as i close the door, it dies out.

Ive tried wood and coal, fire lighters ect, any ideas?

You're closing the door too soon. Leave it SLIGHTLY ajar (BUT DON'T GO AWAY!) until the wood or coal is really well alight, then close it, with whatever air control you have on the front open. You can make a cup of tea now, but keep an eye on it until the stove gets hot, check if you need more fuel, then close it down. I feel able to step outside the boat then, or even go off to the pub leave it for a while, but that's up to you and your confidence in the behaviour and safety of your stove.

Mac

its sorted, being one of the new morso's its restricted on the vents, I've just de-restricted it. and its burning like a good un!

Also in my terms spaz= idiot nothing more

Please revise, still offensive

Also in my terms spaz= idiot nothing more

Many people though will remember it's origin's as being something different.

Some of them will find it offensive, even though you clearly don't.

Still, if a moderator has posted in the thread, and doesn't choose to comment on the word being used, I guess it would be judged that some of us are being a bit "too sensitive".

Many people though will remember it's origin's as being something different.

Some of them will find it offensive, even though you clearly don't.

Still, if a moderator has posted in the thread, and doesn't choose to comment on the word being used, I guess it would be judged that some of us are being a bit "too sensitive".

Whilst I am not interested in starting an argument I have to agree, it is an unacceptable term that has no space in intelligent thinking. I doubt the OP meant harm by it but would like to think that it could be thought about before being used again.

Whilst I am not interested in starting an argument I have to agree, it is an unacceptable term that has no space in intelligent thinking. I doubt the OP meant harm by it but would like to think that it could be thought about before being used again.

Wanted - - I have to agree - - it's a term that has, over the decades, become less acceptable - A victim of this excessively 'politically correct' society (may the socks of the promulgators rot in hell) - - but - as we're constantly told - language is an ever-changing thing (I find there are unpleasant to some of these changes I must admit) and I find there are words or phrases I would use that now offends some of the more delicate amongst us. Out of courtesy to those peeps - I'll not use such phrases in their company.

It would be similarly courteous if FrigateCaptain offered such (social) respects

Wanted - - I have to agree - - it's a term that has, over the decades, become less acceptable - A victim of this excessively 'politically correct' society (may the socks of the promulgators rot in hell) - - but - as we're constantly told - language is an ever-changing thing (I find there are unpleasant to some of these changes I must admit) and I find there are words or phrases I would use that now offends some of the more delicate amongst us. Out of courtesy to those peeps - I'll not use such phrases in their company.

It would be similarly courteous if FrigateCaptain offered such (social) respects

I have to admit that I like Political correctness! if it means that such labels are removed then it can only be good, unfortunately the Daily Mail/Sun and such have distorted it’s original intention.

hugley off topic, how do I light my fire? with stolen copies of the daily mail! :lol:

Edited by wanted

hugley off topic, how do I light my fire? with stolen copies of the daily mail! :lol:

I've found the 'Leaf Lite' (or some such title) compressed leaf firelighters, on sale in the local chandlers, to be excellent. Far better than the daily wail could ever be :lol:

They (the firelighters) can take 2 or 3 matches to get started, though, if you rely on matches alone.

Tim